Changing over to Levemir from Lantus

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Daytime been pretty stable so far too, surely it can't be that easy!!! I have tempted fate now lol :)
94e341e4d8db111e93ceffbdc02fb416.jpg

Reactions: 6 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Took me a few days to crack it although I didn't have the Libre back then and I had just gone to Spain, so out of routine.

Reactions: 2 people

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Took me a few days to crack it although I didn't have the Libre back then and I had just gone to Spain, so out of routine.
Lol I wouldn't think I have cracked it just yet, see how I am on Saturday!!!

Reactions: 2 people

ulidian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Am I weird or what, reading these posts everyone talks about 10or so units. For me to get my night BG reading to be the same as my waking BG reading I need to take 60 units of Levemir - surely this cannot be right?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Am I weird or what, reading these posts everyone talks about 10or so units. For me to get my night BG reading to be the same as my waking BG reading I need to take 60 units of Levemir - surely this cannot be right?
Hi @ulidian

As a type 2, you are more likely to have insulin resistance and need more units. There are no set rules - we all need the dose that keeps our BG level.

Reactions: 7 people

ulidian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Tx Robert72 I would love you meet someone who is anywhere near my levels at 42 units Humalog three times a day and 60 units of levemir at night. But lately I have been trying the 700 a day calorie diet started two weeks ago at 225kg and today after eating air for two weeks I am 244.9 kg, and no change in my BG reading except that the night reading have dropped to 4.3/4.9 and I now need to adjust my Levemir to stay within 5.5 in the morning. If I drop the Levemir to 35units it have no impact on the morning BG readings

Smithsky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was switched from Lantus to Levamir for the morning highs and started at half my lantus dose for each but it wasn't enough and I adjusted till it was, which was not far off my lantus dose at the time. Mine was done to cross over the dose in the morning so I inject at 10pm and 8am. It has worked well but I still need more fast acting in the morning if I eat than I do later in the day. Good news is I've worked at loosing weight and dropped my dose down by a third. Its not perfect but its hard to be perfect just keep testing and trying.

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I made the change from Lantus to Levemir six months ago and I used my Freestyle Libre to calibrate dosage.

I had been on twice-daily Lantus.

As the Levemir didn't last long enough I switched to thrice-daily Lantus at midnight, 8am and 4pm; in my case Levemir starts to roll off in around 6-7 hours so rather than take a high am dose with a dip during the day I take two, each around twice my nighttime dose.

You can use a fasting day to can check your daytime profile.

My total daily dose of Levemir is about 20% higher than Lantus and my overnight insulin-sensitivity is around twice my daytime sensitivity.

As soon as I wake I take 1iu of Humalog, unless my BG is low, to deal with the morning rise which I see on your BG screen. That allows me to maintain a flatter daytime profile with a lower am dose of Levemir.

You might want to consider this - reduce the Levemir if you increase the Humalog.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My DN suggested I split Lantus. I usually take 34units around 23.00hrs. I tried 16 units at 22.00 and 16 units at 10.00. I was trying to fatten out high early morning readings. I have to say it has not had any affect so have gone back to 34units. Still high every morning, but back to normal by 10.30. Seeing the local consultant early May, so I will see what she suggests.

Reactions: 3 people

Beckie2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, sorry to but in but you've touched on exactly what I'm struggling with, really struggling with highs around 2am. I take levemir in the morning, 29 at the moment as I'm pregnant. I'm rock steady at 5 ish but it rises and rises from 2am so am constantly correcting, your advice would be so welcome as I'm so tired from getting up every hour to check what's going on :( thanks so much in advance x

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Hi Beckie
I am new to Levemir myself and am not allowed to give medical advice as I am not qualified. If I were in your situation I would speak with my dsn, it sounds to Mr as if your Levemir isn't lasting 24 hours and is running our at 2 in the morning. A split dose could really help with that, the other thing could be dawn phenomenon although 2am is a bit early for that. Hope that helps a bit, defo speak with your team before making any changes tho :)

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tx Robert72 I would love you meet someone who is anywhere near my levels at 42 units Humalog three times a day and 60 units of levemir at night. But lately I have been trying the 700 a day calorie diet started two weeks ago at 225kg and today after eating air for two weeks I am 244.9 kg, and no change in my BG reading except that the night reading have dropped to 4.3/4.9 and I now need to adjust my Levemir to stay within 5.5 in the morning. If I drop the Levemir to 35units it have no impact on the morning BG readings
Hi @ulidian if it is any consolation your Levemir dose/kg is lower than mine as a T1. The theory on the low Cal diet is that as you lose the visceral fat around the liver the insulin sensitivity will improve. Give it time, it is probably why they make it an 8 week plan. Might be worth you posting into a LCHF or the T2 forum for more feedback and encouragement from those who have been on this journey already.

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, sorry to but in but you've touched on exactly what I'm struggling with, really struggling with highs around 2am. I take levemir in the morning, 29 at the moment as I'm pregnant. I'm rock steady at 5 ish but it rises and rises from 2am so am constantly correcting, your advice would be so welcome as I'm so tired from getting up every hour to check what's going on :( thanks so much in advance x
Hi Beckie, that sounds a lot like dawn phenomenon (that normally kicks in around 2) normally I'd try having more basal / have it later on in the evening (if possible).

With you being pregnant though you're best off speaking to your DSN before changing anything, you could try giving them a ring tomorrow, they might be able to help over the phone..

Cauliflower_rice

So... you guys seem far more informed than me, so Im hoping for some insight.... I was dx last June. I changed from lantus to levemir for personal reasons and... well I decided to inject at 10pm and 6am. Ive had 2 colds and the dose has increased each time.... Now my 2-3am bgs are consistent and 6am bg is ok but my bgs rise after I actually get out of bed around 7am... so at 9-10am My bgs rise from 5s to 6s-7s (without food)... Any suggestions please. should I consider taking night time insulin later? Im just following intuition

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What doses are you on? what are they as Units/Kg?

It may well simply be you are exiting honeymoon and your requirements are slowly rising.

Last edited by a moderator: