Type 2 What can I eat?

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Don't take this the wrong way, but your post suggests otherwise. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's important to understand that "Fattening" foods aren't necessarily those that contain fat.

There are a lot of misconceptions about what will or will not cause you to gain weight. It also has a great deal of relevance to what is good for managing your diabetes.

Ultimately, we know that a high carb/high fat diet is bad for you. The combination of carbs/dietary fats leads to energy storage in the form of body fat.

We also know that a high carb/low fat diet (considering total calories) can help achieve weight loss. That was popular several decades ago and it's largely still considered to be the "standard" advice offered to most people with diabetes. Unfortunately, we also know that carbohydrates can be converted into glucose which means this type of a diet can cause large blood sugar spikes. Many people's bodies have trouble recovering from those spikes within the standard 2-hr period.

Then, there is the high fat/low carb diet. The initial impression is often "You're crazy." However, it's a diet that's been around for over 100 years and was first popularized to address people who were prone to seizures. The diet is most effective because it generally does not require you to limit your calories and feel hungry all the time. Furthermore, by limiting your carbohydrates you're avoiding blood glucose spikes which has allowed many of us (in one way or another) to reach a1c levels we would otherwise be unable to achieve.

With that said, the low carb/high fat diet is not one to try for a week and then do something new. Some find it easier to sustain than others and it's ultimately a diet you would want to maintain for the rest of your life (or until your diabetes is "reversed"). The diet hasn't gained much popularity with dieticians and doctors, but personally blame that on the fact that it's not right for everyone (whereas everyone should exercise "portion control" in one way or another).
LCHF works! I have lost 4stone in 2 years now a normal weight BMI for the first time in years

Dickensfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Dickensfan

You say you tested 2 hours after your lunch and were very high. There was virtually nothing in that lunch to make you very high unless there were other things in the meal you haven't mentioned. (although cashew nuts are high in carbs, more so than other nuts). I am wondering if you tested before you ate? It is essential you test before to see where you are starting from. It's no use just testing afterwards. You may have also been very high before you ate, and the actual rise from before to after may have been a good one (the lower the better). I'm aftraid that just testing afterwards tells you absolutely nothing..Sorry, but that is the truth.

If you did test before, what was the difference between the 2 readings?
Hello Bluetit1802 when i got my kit from the practice nurse, she told me to test 15 mins before breakfast and again 15 mins before evening meal, that was all, she didn't tell me to test at any other times, which to me seemed a bit odd, therefore, I've only been testing more frequently in the past 2 days mainly because I'm worried about running out of test strips, as if I test before and after each meal I'm going to have to phone the surgery for a repeat of these very often - does that make sense, or can I buy the test strips myself?

Dickensfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also, in some of the literature eating nuts is recommended, although not loads of them, but a small handful. I recall years ago reading that just one brazil nut a day contains everything our bodies need, however, I don't do it. The practice nurse gave me a lot of literature to read, which I've gone through, and to be honest since this is all very new to me, and I have to change my way of thinking, not to mention what I eat, i'm struggling a bit to come to grips with it. I used to be able to lose a lot of weight very quickly and easily because I stuck rigidly to what I was doing, and I kept it off for many years, not a lot of it is back as well as diabetes, so i'm not a happy bunny.

Reactions: 2 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Depending on the meter you may be able to purchase test strips locally though may be expensive I use CodeFree and can only purchase on line from Home Health dot co

I actually purchased some on line early Friday morning paid extra 70p for first class mail and received them first thing today.

Dickensfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Depending on the meter you may be able to purchase test strips locally though may be expensive I use CodeFree and can only purchase on line from Home Health dot co

I actually purchased some on line early Friday morning paid extra 70p for first class mail and received them first thing today.
The meter I was given is a Braun Omnitest3, and i've had a rpt prescription for lances and strips last week. I just looked on here and the strips can be purchased for £18.

Dickensfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is that with or without VAT because as you no doubt know if registered diabetic you shouldn't have to pay VAT.
Hi that's incl vat - but I didn't know that about VAT, how would I know if I'm registered, is it simply a case of because I've been told and being treated for diabetes or does the surgery let them know - sorry if I sound naive.

Dickensfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was going to put my little face on here, but for some reason it doesn't load LoL - maybe I broke the system.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Hi that's incl vat - but I didn't know that about VAT, how would I know if I'm registered, is it simply a case of because I've been told and being treated for diabetes or does the surgery let them know - sorry if I sound naive.
No naivety inferred if your GP has diagnosed Diabetes then you are placed on a register a pharmacist can check with your GP if needs be but quite often if you state that you are a registered diabetic that is enough I believe.

In fact I was at the chemists at the local Asda where I enquired about a meter they gave me the price including vat I said that I am diabetic and they revised the price.

My local chemists sell me strips for another meter without VAT added.

Dickensfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No naivety inferred if your GP has diagnosed Diabetes then you are placed on a register a pharmacist can check with your GP if needs be but quite often if you state that you are a registered diabetic that is enough I believe.

In fact I was at the chemists at the local Asda where I enquired about a meter they gave me the price including vat I said that I am diabetic and they revised the price.

My local chemists sell me strips for another meter without VAT added.
I was given my Omnitest3 meter, lances and first month's supply of strips by the practice nurse, so now all i have to do is call up the surgery and order a repeat of the strips, I just don't like having to do it all the time, but I reckon a pack 2x25 should last well enough if I do it before and after each meal. I find that I still feel as if I need something between 6pm and when I go to bed at my normal time which would usually be around 11pm - thanks for reply.

Reactions: 2 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes a pack of fifty lasts me about a week my doctor follows the NICE guidelines so I had no option but to self fund.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Not often I get to talk to a published author.
Well apart from brother in law and he's only contributed to a few text books.

Dickensfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not often I get to talk to a published author.
Well apart from brother in law and he's only contributed to a few text books.
Hello John, you are in England so you probably know we don't pay for our prescriptions in Scotland, so I'm tending towards just getting repeat prescriptions because they're free, I just felt I would be ringing the surgery way too often if I were to use the strips before and after each meal. My brother was diagnosed with type 2 when he was 42, he is ten years younger than me, and was not overweight when diagnosed, so maybe it's a family thing I don't know. I am overweight and I hate it, wish I could get my life back because i'm so not enjoying this at the moment, the only good thing is that I now know what was causing me to feel so unwell and lethargic over the past 18 months.

My brother and I never see each other, and he works in London, returning to Scotland every Tuesday for a short time, otherwise I'd love to know what he does as for some reason I cannot imagine him either taking meds or being mindful of what he eats.

Last edited by a moderator:

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
Kate I have been reading up on low carb - when I was told I was diabetic, the same day I stopped everything white, I was big on pasta (brought up on the stuff) and would have it almost every day at some point, and in the weeks leading up to my diagnosis I was actually having pasta every night at tea time - n ot good I know, in fact, I had already decided I needed to get back to losing the weight I'd put on when I got the diagnosis, so haven't eaten white bread pasta rice etc since the beginning of March. I'll do some research before I do my shopping list and see what I can have - the weight always comes off me slowly though, most diets never suited me i.e. slimming world, slimmers, weight watchers etc., the only diet that ever worked for me, and which i'm not allowed now was the Cambridge diet, I always had a lot of success with it and always lost a lot of weight, it takes an enormous amount if willpower, but now that I have to rely on food to lose weight, I know from past experience it will take me a very long time to even lose a few pounds, and I'm not the most patient person. Thanks for getting back to me. For lunch today I had broccoli, mushrooms and brussel sprouts - these were all left from last night, the only other thing I had was unsalted cashew nuts, I tested my BS 2 hours later at it was very high. Tonight I'm having fish with veg. I'd love something creamy and tasty haha, I haven't treated myself to anything like that in a long time. I don't have a sweet tooth, but I do love a piece of cheesecake, those days are gone I think.

I am afraid it is not just the 'white stuff', wholemeal bread, pasta and rice are pretty high on carbs. If your diet was high in carbs before, I think you will find low carbing an eye opener. Cashew nuts spike a lot of people, I usually avoid them. Lots of veg grown above ground, so broccoli, sprouts and mushrooms are fine. You can have cream, it does not have a lot of carbs and will make you feel fuller, for taste, why not try adding herbs? I agree, say goodbye to cheesecake for a while, carbs galore in the base and lots of sugar. The main objective with the low carb eating plan is to lower your blood sugars, you will find however, if you do it correctly, you will lose weight, and lose it quickly. This is nothing like slimming world, weight watchers etc whose objective is to have your money for ever! If their diets work and the weight loss was sustainable, they would not have 'life members' and would likely be bankrupt.

Dickensfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am afraid it is not just the 'white stuff', wholemeal bread, pasta and rice are pretty high on carbs. If your diet was high in carbs before, I think you will find low carbing an eye opener. Cashew nuts spike a lot of people, I usually avoid them. Lots of veg grown above ground, so broccoli, sprouts and mushrooms are fine. You can have cream, it does not have a lot of carbs and will make you feel fuller, for taste, why not try adding herbs? I agree, say goodbye to cheesecake for a while, carbs galore in the base and lots of sugar. The main objective with the low carb eating plan is to lower your blood sugars, you will find however, if you do it correctly, you will lose weight, and lose it quickly. This is nothing like slimming world, weight watchers etc whose objective is to have your money for ever! If their diets work and the weight loss was sustainable, they would not have 'life members' and would likely be bankrupt.
I have never been a fan of those slimming clubs, therefore I've never gone and you're quite right all they want is your money, I'm particularly cynical of Weight Watchers from all I've read. In my normal 'diet' before discovering I was diabetic, I have always eaten fresh veg and fruit - a lot of both. The first week I was diagnosed I read about what I should eat, and brown seemed to be the order of the day, including brown rice, brown pasta - neither of which I've bought as I've tasted both in the past and hate them, I'd rather go without than use those. I do like Bergen bread, that's what I normally have toasted when I have 2 boiled eggs for breakfast, sometimes I have meusli and sometimes porridge, reading up this week, if low carb, then I shouldn't have those either. I need to find a source of a good low carb diet which will also help me lose weight - Kate I don't think I've ever felt so miserable in my life as I do right now, I'm totally confused.

I meant to ask in previous posts if anyone who is type 2, before being diagnosed had any skin problems, dry skin or spots on the face as well as dry skin on face, neck, things that look like allergies as I've had, but never had in my life before, before my diagnoses (which I asked for) doc was treating me for an allergic reaction to something undefined, gave me antihistamines and cortizone cream (which I didn't use) - just curious to know if others had the same sort of things. I've always had good skin and never bothered with stuff like that, even today my eyelids feels stingy - as if a reaction to something.

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
@Dickensfan, cannot help you regarding the allergies, perhaps someone else has some information or experience.

Please do not let being diabetic drag you down. All you have to do is change a few simple but ingrained eating habits, that is to drastically reduce your sugar intake and carbs. Everything you buy in a supermarket has a label with the carb content. Fresh produce does not but rule of thumb is if it grows above the ground it is ok, below the ground might it not be. You can find nutritional value of any raw ingredients online.

This link has lots of recipes if you feel unable to amend your own just now, http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/food-nutrition-and-recipes.3/

You will be fine, it is just a wee adjustment, in a few months you will own this low carb malarky, trust me.

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you haven't already can I highly recommend you take a look at this website (I've directly linked you to the vegetarian recipes for low carbing page)
http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/vegetarian

It's a fantastic site and all the info is free - they don't try to sell you anything - although you can join and then get free access to even more info and various films and conference lectures on low carb higher fats way of eating. The site also links to Dr Jason Fungs work on intermittent fasting for weight loss which you might find interesting and the 'food window' where you restrict food to an 8 hour period in the day (most people skip breakfast and eat between 12 and 8pm). Lots of people have found this helpful in kick starting weight loss.

I joined as I believe this information needs to be spread widely to get people healthy whether they have diabetes or not. My non diabetic son has lost over a stone following the low carb life and considers it a minor miracle and he loves the food. Diet doctor totally cured my food confusion when I started researching what to eat.

It's just as well you don't like brown rice or pasta as they are really just as bad as white - will still spike your blood sugar but might take longer to get there. As long as you are not vegan then eggs and cheese are probably your biggest friends along with nuts and above ground veggies.

Personally I believe the paleo idea also has some merit (i.e avoiding as much as possible all processed food) but I definitely eat a lot of dairy so not a full fledged paleo person :) I love my berries and double cream as dessert and creme fraiche and mustard on veggies is divine.

Oh a quick tip on the boiled eggs - if you can give up the bread that will help so instead put butter on the eggs. I slice off tiny bits of butter and push it into the yolks - fantastic and then I don't miss the bread as it's the buttery taste I was missing not so much the bread....I also put loads of salt on (as I don't eat processed food (high in salt) or use salt in cooking much as I stir fry veggies in coconut oil mostly so I think I can have a bit of salt on my eggs!

If you can get strips prescribed then go for as many as you can. For a couple of weeks I was testing fasting BG then before and one and two hours after each meal and keeping careful notes. After a week or two it became pretty clear what i could eat with impunity and what I needed to avoid.

One other tip though if you find your BG raised a brisk 15-20 minute walk will usually do a good job of bringing it down (I've walked round the house or up and down stairs if necessary or marched on the spot in front of the TV!) and you can test if it's effective for you by using the meter.

Interested to read about the dry skin - I had small patches on my arms for years that looked like allergies or eczema but weren't. Since taking up the low carb high fat lifestyle they've vanished .

DianaRose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Alcohol, walking on stoney ground, cutting the grass,politicians in general!
Thank you for all of your replies, and I shall give them my attention, I find some of the info here and elsewhere difficult mainly because I am a vegetarian, indeed, I've eaten no beef, pork etc. since I was five years old, possibly younger, I am now 67 so what I'm trying to do is work out what is best for me, as an individual, from the diabetes point of view.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Hi I'm a veggie too and was diagnosed a year ago. Such a shock and worrying about what I can eat. Well to be honest I have kept up with what I ate before excluding anything high in carbs and sugar. I still have baked potatoes but small new ones (Bannisters Farm Littl'uns with loads of butter.:) I still make lentil shepherds pie but with frozen mash as it has half the carbs. I have rice Basmati and wholegrain but I wash it well before I cook it after it has been cooked as it washes away the starch. We don't have much pasta now and if we have veggie pies we just have veg with it instead of spuds. Rose Elliot has some brilliant cook books which I am sure you know. Her Low carb diet cook book is helpful. Basically if you know your carbs and keep them low I aimed for 150 a day which brought my blood sugars etc etc down and I lost weight. My calories I aim for 1500. I don't think much lower is good for you but that is another discussion. If you need anymore help please get in touch as I know what I felt like when I was diagnosed last year. Good luck.

DianaRose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Alcohol, walking on stoney ground, cutting the grass,politicians in general!
Kate I have been reading up on low carb - when I was told I was diabetic, the same day I stopped everything white, I was big on pasta (brought up on the stuff) and would have it almost every day at some point, and in the weeks leading up to my diagnosis I was actually having pasta every night at tea time - n ot good I know, in fact, I had already decided I needed to get back to losing the weight I'd put on when I got the diagnosis, so haven't eaten white bread pasta rice etc since the beginning of March. I'll do some research before I do my shopping list and see what I can have - the weight always comes off me slowly though, most diets never suited me i.e. slimming world, slimmers, weight watchers etc., the only diet that ever worked for me, and which i'm not allowed now was the Cambridge diet, I always had a lot of success with it and always lost a lot of weight, it takes an enormous amount if willpower, but now that I have to rely on food to lose weight, I know from past experience it will take me a very long time to even lose a few pounds, and I'm not the most patient person. Thanks for getting back to me. For lunch today I had broccoli, mushrooms and brussel sprouts - these were all left from last night, the only other thing I had was unsalted cashew nuts, I tested my BS 2 hours later at it was very high. Tonight I'm having fish with veg. I'd love something creamy and tasty haha, I haven't treated myself to anything like that in a long time. I don't have a sweet tooth, but I do love a piece of cheesecake, those days are gone I think.
Cashew nuts send my blood sugar through the roof too. It took me a while to find out but I was shocked!!! Just stick to peanuts now and seeds.:)