What do you eat/do when carb craving hits?

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been eating LCHF for about 9 months now, but still some days get such cravings for carbs. I never had much of a sweet tooth, but I used to eat a LOT of whole grains (I baked my own whole grain bread weekly, made my own granola, etc.) and some fruits before learning of my blood sugar problems. I don't seem to be able to tolerate much of either without it driving up my sugars, and feel much better without them. But, I miss them!

I know I can't be the only one who still craves carbs from time to time even though I've been successfully LCHF for months. Others like me, what do you do to trick yourself out of the carb cravings? They make me feel sad & deprived.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know what you mean!

Low carb hot choc
Cauliflower mash/cheese
Low carb mug cakes
Stracciatella cake
Cheese
Berries n cream
Coffee n cream
9bars
Kale crisps
Kefir
Green smoothies

:)

Reactions: 2 people

Potteron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Salted peanuts , yummy with that crunch and bite factor
And
80%+ chocolate sucked slowly, melts in the mouth and tastes so sweet to me now.
Also
Berries and cream with cinnamon

RuffsTheShake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I make a low carb chocolate mousse (coconut oil, nut butter, cocoa powder, cream and xylitol) and sometimes (budget depending haha) eat delicious types of cheese with a couple cocktail onions and pork crackling or vegetable/seed crackers. I agree with berries and cream, dark chocolate and mug cakes too.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Base layer of some blueberries and then a chocolate avocado mousse on top with a bit of coconut cream. That used to be my favourite. One blender and it makes 6 ramekins and can go in fridge.. Yum... Miss them!!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Fatty foods like guacamole and celery some raw veggies or pumpkin seeds. Definately not carbs as that would make it worse.

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I miss the savoury snacks like crisps. Instead I have nuts, seeds or pork scratchings.
Toast used to be a quick and easy option, now I put the things I would have put on it like marmite or cheese into celery.