Regular low bloods causing complications..

Gaztheoldpunk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just a quick one.. can regular low blood sugars (hypos) be as damaging to long term health and complications as high blood sugars?? Only asking cos recently my sugar's have been spiking up (Max 16) and down (as low as 2.1) I know I need s to see my diabetic nurse but do with so different opinions..... Ta.

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't remember the exact threshold but low blood sugars below a certain level kills your brain cells off a bit, somewhere around 2 or lower has severe cognitive impairment. Don't quote me on that but it is in a medical journal if i recollect.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I understand lows that make you lose control can if too bad and frequent can cause brain damage so best avoided. have you checked your Basal is in balance and that the Bolus ratio is right. Are you carb-counting?

Gaztheoldpunk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. I understand lows that make you lose control can if too bad and frequent can cause brain damage so best avoided. have you checked your Basal is in balance and that the Bolus ratio is right. Are you carb-counting?
Bloomin heck!! Didn't know that.. I know of the complications associated with constantly high bloods but brain damage with low?? Gonna get my ratios re calibrated with the nurse asap. 32 year's type 1 and you still learn something new everyday!! Thanks for the info..

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Bloomin heck!! Didn't know that.. I know of the complications associated with constantly high bloods but brain damage with low?? Gonna get my ratios re calibrated with the nurse asap. 32 year's type 1 and you still learn something new everyday!! Thanks for the info..
The brain damage with lows is associated with brain cell death, but is caused when glucose levels become very low (<2) and are prolonged. There was another topic which had some research linked on it.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
from my experience it seems fair to add a defence of low blood sugar ( as compared to high) -- if you try to run at the low end of BG range, statistically you are bound to get hypo's. I would say that as long as you test frequently and treat lows immediately so that you minimise the time spent around or below 2.0 you can avoid the threat of brain damage issues.

i have achieved tight control over a number of years thru carb control( low to moderate ) , aggressive bolus adjustment , and frequent testing .
HbA1c's between 5.7% - 6.2% for over 9 years.( gone up to 6.6% since going on a pump )

xxAJxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a quick one.. can regular low blood sugars (hypos) be as damaging to long term health and complications as high blood sugars?? Only asking cos recently my sugar's have been spiking up (Max 16) and down (as low as 2.1) I know I need s to see my diabetic nurse but do with so different opinions..... Ta.
low blood sugars do cause damage especially over a sustained period, as the brain also needs sugar to function properly. Also sustained periods of highs and lows can cause hypo unawarness, it happened to me, i dont feel a hypo till im under 3, sometimes im under 2 before i feel it