Different test results from different fingers, which is right?

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
Yesterday at work I tested my BS and then couldn't remember what the figure was, so tested again on the other hand. The first reading was 7 something (after lunch and a 20 min cycle to work in a head wind) but the second test came out as 8.1 So when I tested before tea at 5pm it was in the high 8's on one hand and 9.0 on the other. Similar readings at 7.30pm higher on one hand, lower on the other. I'm happier to say when I went to bed the reading was 7.3

This morning I was 8.0 on my left hand and 8.2 on my right....

Of course I'm claiming my lower readings, but is that right?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Clean hands (both) exercise and differentials with the testing times and the infinite variables ..... no big deal ... at all

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You're never going to get identical results doing these multiple tests - your blood's circulating all the time which means the glucose in it is fluctuating too. (Meters can't be made 100% accurate either, but they do have to meet certain standards of accuracy.) All you're doing is causing yourself a lot of unecessary hassle and stress - just keep a record of readings and look for patterns - pre and post meal, etc. Read the manual that comes with your meter - many of them can be set up to log the tests so you can check back on them, and some (like mine) can also show you trends and averages.

Robbity

happier than you

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got different readings from different fingers so i started sticking to the middle finger on both hands. It may be all in my head, but i seemed to get more consistency with that so i just stick to it. Not sure there's any logic to my method!

khkwong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Even if u test BS in a row using same finger and the puncture u will get different result. Most of the meter has a variance of 20%. So just record your 1st reading unless the reading is ridiculously too low.