Unsweetened evaporated milk

pinklady69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning everyone...can any tell me if its ok to have evaporated unsweetend milk? I have a nice recipe with sugar free jelly i would like to try but not sure on the milk...thanks

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What's the carbs? Natural sugars in evaporated milk will by nature be concentrated as the name suggests it is milk that the liquid has been evaporated from to leave fats sugars etc behind - personally I would leave it alone and use something like cream or creme fresh

What's the recipe? Maybe we can help suggest an alternative - if it's the one making jelly with the milk it works just as well with cream and creme fresh

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning everyone...can any tell me if its ok to have evaporated unsweetend milk? I have a nice recipe with sugar free jelly i would like to try but not sure on the milk...thanks
Looks like its about 12% carbs according to the waitrose website so that's an avoid for me..

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dam...ok thanks...is that the unsweetened one?
Apparently all evaporated milk is unsweetened,, the condensed milk is the sweetened one. Thats the main difference between the two. Never knew that so thanks for prompting me looking it up.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Looks like its about 12% carbs according to the waitrose website so that's an avoid for me..
Then again...it might sound 'little' high...but depending of the portion size in finished thing..it might not work out that 'bad' per portion!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
When I was growing up, many, many, many years ago my mun would make me condensed milk sandwiches, they were wonderful! Had forgotten all about condensed milk until mentioned above. No wonder I had so many 'interesting' trips to the dentist!

coxymk2

Remember Connie Onnie it was the best thing going when I was a kid oh how the years have changed things from good to bad

pinklady69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ill make the recipe the weekend take my sugars before and 2 hours after and see. I havnt had any treats of any sorts for 6 weeks so ill make it my treat :)

pinklady69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What's the carbs? Natural sugars in evaporated milk will by nature be concentrated as the name suggests it is milk that the liquid has been evaporated from to leave fats sugars etc behind - personally I would leave it alone and use something like cream or creme fresh

What's the recipe? Maybe we can help suggest an alternative - if it's the one making jelly with the milk it works just as well with cream and creme fresh
Hi...its just a sachet of sugar free jelly strawberry or raspberry. Then mix in a tin of the milk with a handful of berries and set. It makes 6 to 8 portions.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi...its just a sachet of sugar free jelly strawberry or raspberry. Then mix in a tin of the milk with a handful of berries and set. It makes 6 to 8 portions.
Cream or even yogurt will work fine with that - just make sure your jelly is cool before adding - jelly is just a flavoured setting agent so pretty much anything can be added - except pineapple that has an enzyme that prevents setting. - make and enjoy!

Reactions: 4 people