Back to work tomorrow

Stacey_28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
8 weeks down the line after being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and being in hospital I am finally going back to work tomorrow. I am feeling really nervous and scared, just wondered if anyone else has felt this way, if it is normal and if anyone has any tips to get through the day.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Perfectly normal to be anxious and nervous, just be sure to test your bg regularly and keep some fast-acting glucose to hand, also keep some carby snacks handy just in case your bg levels start to dip.

Hope all goes well anyway.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The 8-weeks you spent in the hospital was probably because you went into DKA. Aside from something like that, it should have been an overnight stay at the most.

I say that because the length of time you took off from work is probably what's making you feel this way. There's no reason to feel scared going back to work...the daily routine is just a little bit different now.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @Stacey_28 ,

Welcome to the forums.

Many people find a diagnosis of diabetes overwhelming at first, but don't worry - you'll be taking it in your stride in no time. I am wondering if you can be a little more specific about what it is that's worrying you?

Stacey_28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry I may have worded that a bit wrong, only spent just short of a week in hospital but have been off work since getting out. Since being home on some of the ioccasions I have went out I have forgot my insulin pen, needle or had a mishap and being unable to take my insulin even though I thought I had double checked. I don't know what is making me so nervous if I am honest, just have a horrible feeling in my stomach all day and not had the best day with my sugars of all days.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Stacey_28 you are bound to feel a little anxious as you've mentioned you've now got things you need to remember to take with you to work to get through the day successfully, are people at work aware of your diabetes? Some people prefer not to have others know but I think it can make you feel a little more comfortable so people understand better if you need to go take a break if your bg is low etc

Your sugars may have been a bit erratic today because they can rise when you get stressed so try your best to stay calm

Hope your day goes well :)

Stacey_28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there, yeah I believe most people in my work are aware, which is probably good from a point of view If I get too low they will know what is wrong. Hopefully I will not sleep in and get through the day with no mishaps and no low sugars which would be a good start to going back.

Reactions: 4 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure you'll be fine. If anything I find that the days that I'm working are the easiest in terms of bg control because of the routine...but I suppose that would depend on your job...for me...I work in an office so can rely on being fairly sedentary for most of the day with little or no nasty surprises to raise my bg. Fingers crossed for you...I hope all goes well

Shellbellx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Stacey. I was in the same position as you not long ago. I had about 6 weeks off work and it was hard going back, and like you I felt nervous and anxious about adjusting to it all at work. Now, it feels like I've never been away! Some days I do ditzy things and forget my insulin, or skip lunch if I'm really busy but I'm so glad to be back into a routine. It's probably helped me manage things better! It's helps to be organised too! I try and take breakfast and lunch with me, and I carry my insulin and monitor in a make up type bag! ..... Just have to remember to take it with me. Good luck

Reactions: 2 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Again, I think it's the length of time you've taken off from work rather than your recent diagnosis that is causing you anxiety. It's caused you to build up the situation in your head making it seem more stressful than it really is. I would imagine that the feeling is almost the same as starting a new job (even for someone who doesn't have diabetes). You've gotten adjusted to life away from work for the past few months and now it's a big change in your schedule.

As far as advice to avoid forgetting things:
I keep an insulin pen in my office fridge just in case.
I keep a container of glucose tablets in my desk just in case.
All of my diabetes supplies is housed in a small travel case that travels with me everywhere. It has everything from my meter, insulin, needle tips, glucose, and a few other little things. With it all in one bag, I don't have to worry about remembering every little thing.
Have a place you feel comfortable testing/injecting. Fortunately, I have my own office so it's as simple as closing my door, but if you don't have that setup it's important to have a designated space where you won't stress about it.

Squeekyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
TV: don't watch TV, find most programs boring.Don't have a telly now but do watch videos now & then on a monitor.
8 weeks down the line after being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and being in hospital I am finally going back to work tomorrow. I am feeling really nervous and scared, just wondered if anyone else has felt this way, if it is normal and if anyone has any tips to get through the day.
The 8-weeks you spent in the hospital was probably because you went into DKA. Aside from something like that, it should have been an overnight stay at the most.

I say that because the length of time you took off from work is probably what's making you feel this way. There's no reason to feel scared going back to work...the daily routine is just a little bit different now.

@TorqPenderloin- Hi, My name is Steve,(user name Sqeekyboy, yes spelt with two e's) I am T2 & went back to work just six months ago. I spoke with HR & my manager at work, prior to returning & on the day I went back, I was told I only need stay for a half day but I stayed all day, as received a few calls from colleagues, who welcomed me back & were very supportive. I still felt uncomfortable though, as I'd been off work for 3.5 months. The thing is, you could ask if you could split the return back as I did, that made it a much easier return, as I worked every other day & that gave me time to rest in-between days & think my way back into work gradually. your life is changing & you need your meds etc. so it will take a little time to get things right but more importantly, don't rush things at work, take every thing in you stride, until you feel you are back to normal. It's taken me four months to get things right but younger people may take less. I wish you well. keep in touch if you like but no pressure. Squeekyboy.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@Stacey_28 Hope today has gone well for you ?

It's a step back into normality for you so I hope you have been ok, yes there may be times it will catch you out but as time moves on it will get easier and become second nature to manage your diabetes, it is about finding routine and work is vital for that. Remembering insulin, testing equipment and taking a hypo treatment however is vital so please make sure you have this with you before you step out the door each day, it will be new and different to start with but it will soon wear off, good luck ;)

Stacey_28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks everyone, It has went well although I only stayed half the day, and will do another 2 weeks like this and hopefully that will be me back to normal and back into a proper routine. Feeling pretty tired today and my sugars are still playing up a little, but I am sure this will get better with time.

Reactions: 9 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
as I'd been off work for 3.5 months.
Sorry to be blunt, but I find that unreasonable.

Again, if you've suffered complications from diabetes (DKA, HONK, etc) then you have every right to take time off until you recover. However, taking several weeks off (much less several months) is unjustifiable. Just because you can (legally) take time off doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Again, this is relevant to this thread because I believe many of you are making a bigger deal about this then it actually is. Yes, it is a serious disease. Yes, it is life changing. Yes, it can be a lot to handle. However, nothing changed before and after the day you were diagnosed except that now you understand what is happening inside of your body.

By all means, people should take their time getting back to 100% and adjusting to the news. However, I fail to understand how you can justify being completely absent from your job for that much time simply due to a diagnosis. If you can go that much time without working, all that tells me is that you're replaceable in your job. Again, sorry to be blunt, but that is the truth.

Go back to work, take it easy, and learn to adjust to the new routine. However, don't make this a bigger deal than it is. There's no reason to make this a bigger deal than it is.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe a bit blunt @TorqPenderloin but I tend to agree with you. This is our life now, we just have to get on with it ...

I've found diving back into work helped (but I do run a business) me focus on something else - on diagnosis you can have a tendency to think about nothing else.

Good luck with your return to work - enter each day with a positive frame of mind and you will soon find your own routine and life will be better

Stacey_28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This was a suggestion from my supervisor and not by myself as funnily enough I do actually enjoy work. However having a son who I live alone with and dealing with him worrying about me, various hospital appt and also struggling to stay wakened, blurry eyes etc and nor to mention 35 injections a week I would say this does warrant some time off work it's life changing to get your head around. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if I didn't need the time off I sure the doctor would have not given it!

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not having a go but this does seem to be a long time. I was diagnosed at the age of 9, had 1 week in hospital and 1 week at home and was then back at school. Bear in mind this was the 1980's and I was basically left alone to get on with it. There was no support or anything.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
this is not a topic to argue about the amount of time following a diagnosis is too long to return to work.

the original OP has asked for any support we can offer her in her return to work.

Let us not forget we are all individuals with completely varied circumstances and issues in our lives, and walking a mile in someone else's shoes might not hurt sometimes.

Reactions: 8 people

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not having a go but this does seem to be a long time. I was diagnosed at the age of 9, had 1 week in hospital and 1 week at home and was then back at school. Bear in mind this was the 1980's and I was basically left alone to get on with it. There was no support or anything.
But then again the more I think about it the more I remember how screwed up my life became because of this. I remember spending months afterwards suffering from depression and anger which has plagued me throughout my life. Although this was mainly due to the lack of support from the hospital, my parents and the fact that no-one knew any T1's at all. It was a case of..there you go, inject this, don't eat that and try not to embarrass people by having a hypo. **** it was horrible.
But then again that was more due to lack of support and understanding rather than actual time away from school or work.

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
this is not a topic to argue about the amount of time following a diagnosis is too long to return to work.

the original OP has asked for any support we can offer her in her return to work.

Let us not forget are all individuals with completely varied circumstances and issues in our lives, and walking a mile in someone else's shoes might not hurt sometimes.

Yes I agree, I'm sorry if I helped derail this slightly.

Last edited by a moderator: