Has anyone had else problems with going HF?

• Thread starter Deleted member 43917
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 43917

I have stopped a high fat approach - I got psoriasis for the first time in my forties with red streaks on my face which seemed to correlate approximately with the times I have tried high fat. On top of this, although I initially lost weight, I began to feel unwell and just felt that it wasn't healthy for me. Has anyone else had problems with going HF?

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How much fat, and what type?
Are you allergic to anything, like dairy?

D

Deleted member 43917

SunnyExpat - I was eating full fat dairy, eggs, chicken & oily fish, cooked with olive oil or butter, and very occasionally had red meat. I have been tested for allergies in the past but nothing came back.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you have to keep in mind that "low" and "high" are subjective.

While we each define those terms differently, the general idea is that "low" means we get very little energy from carbohydrates and "high" means we get most of our energy from fat. It doesn't mean you have to consume 300g of fat every day.

To answer your question, I do limit my fat intake to a point where I feel full or I reach my max daily calorie threshold (currently set at 2500 since I'm trying to cut weight)....whichever comes first.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I think you have to keep in mind that "low" and "high" are subjective.

While we each define those terms differently, the general idea is that "low" means we get very little energy from carbohydrates and "high" means we get most of our energy from fat. It doesn't mean you have to consume 300g of fat every day.

To answer your question, I do limit my fat intake to a point where I feel full or I reach my max daily calorie threshold (currently set at 2500 since I'm trying to cut weight)....whichever comes first.
hi -- to assist the OP ( and others reading the thread )
what would your typical distribution of carb / protein / fat be to hit your LCHF and 2500 cal targets ?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi -- to assist the OP ( and others reading the thread )
what would your typical distribution of carb / protein / fat be to hit your LCHF and 2500 cal targets ?
My diet is very unconventional because I'm into bodybuilding, but my diet currently looks something like:

5% carbs (~31g)
40% protein (~250g)
55% fat (~153g)

A more "Typical" version of a very low-carb diet (ketosis) would look more like:
5% carbs
20% protein
75% fat

A more balance version of a low-carb diet (allowing you to eat small portions of bread and potatoes):
10-15% carbs
15-30% protein
60-75% fat

Reactions: 4 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd be inclined to try a dairy free diet for a while to see if that helps - dairy seems to be implicated with many skin conditions. Maybe try more monounsaturated fats like olives, avocado, nuts and seeds.

Reactions: 3 people