Vegetarians: What have you eaten today?

A

Avocado Sevenfold

B: spinach and tofu burger with fried mushrooms and cherry tomatoes
L: Linda Mac sausages and coleslaw
D: shepherdless pie (veg and kidney beans in tomato sauce with garlicky cauli mash topping)

Reactions: 2 people

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
B: Hard-boiled egg followed by raspberries and clotted cream (Yummy!).
L: Lettuce, cherry tomatoes, Camembert cheese, crisps, satsuma.
D. stir-fried veggies (leek, courgette, red onion, tomato and mushrooms) with the last of the hummus.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
yesterday
B: flax seed and full fat yogurt
L: cucumber, cheese, olives
D: asparagus, poached eggs

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm back at work so there's likely to be less variety during the week. Hoping to get a bit more creative at the weekends, though.

Breakfast has settled to berries with either full fat Greek Yogurt or soya yogurt. Hard boiled eggs some mornings.
Packed lunches tend to be salad ( a mix of lettuce/cherry tomatoes, raw pepper and raw courgettes - I hate cucumber!) Camembert cheese, or Quorn cocktail sauages, oatcakes if I need a little carbs, and a satsuma.
Dinners this week have been steamed vegetables with pine nuts and mixed seeds, with either extra mature cheddar cheese, emmantal, hard boiled eggs or Quorn of some description.

Reactions: 4 people

Rosieshe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch: cold leftover curry
Dinner: spinach and tofu burger, coleslaw made with eggless mayo
Pudding: 20g vanilla Swedish Glace (5g carbs) with strawberries. I forgot how sweet food is!

kbq4v6.png

I enjoyed the spinach and tofu burger and imagine it would be great for breakfast. Used a slightly different recipe that used peanut butter as a binder. I think Rosie's burger would pack more flavour though with the paprika and cumin :)
looks yum and I will try with peanut butter mmm

Rosieshe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to these pages I got some grt inspiration for my batch cooking this week. I have made a turmeric ginger tahini sauce for roast brocolli, and cauliflower (a bit of onion). I thought I would see what half a sweet potato does to me blood levels. hubby will eat the other one, I have enough meals for the week now, I rotate them.
batch cooking 2.jpg

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I couldn't find a decent fresh cauliflower yesterday to make rice, so bought frozen cauli to made a savoury mash instead. Curry and mash - better than it sounds!

Microwave frozen cauli
Fry onion and cumin seeds in oil
Add turmeric, garlic paste, ginger paste and fry a little
Add to cooked cauli and blitz with hand blender

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1461015858.571491.jpg

Today and yesterday.

Just hoping it may go thru my colon ok as its all mushy veg really.
What a lot of carbs including protein in a vege lasagne and veg...!!
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1461016051.304532.jpg

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I get horrific highs with courgette when ate by itself...but in this perfectly counted lasagne with the cheese it all balanced out..
Funny how different veg affects us... Miss celeriac enormously but that is a big no no too!!

Reactions: 3 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Breakfast and lunch the same today.

Dinner was a kind of made up moussaka thing - leftover aubergines and tomato sauce from yesterday, a layer of garlic mushrooms and a layer of dairy free cheese sauce. Sounds odd, tasted lovely. Aldi choc for pudding.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @donnellysdogs Is your soft veg and liquids diet a temporary measure? Your lasagne looks lovely.

Not sure. Am on a new drug Amitiza to try and kick start my innards working.... I see the gastro chap next Thurs. Drug leaflet and chemist said to only take for two weeks but consultant wrote for 4 weeks. Leaflet said to take only for 4 weeks unless under supervision...when it can be taken for two more weeks. Supposedly then the stomach n colon will carry on working, but I have been told it will be slower than previous which was already slow.

Food is being temperamental. Nuts still come out as I ate them 6 or 7 days after I ate them. It used to be 5 days. I have to wait till Friday to see if this food will exit ok..

I had one treat last Weds in 4 weeks and that was a waitrose yum yum... And it has not come out so far... I know when it appears as the nuts on it will come out whole in their ate format...

I hope it is temporary and I can eat something other than soup, smoothies or mashed veg as its really hard to get enough calories...and boredom and yearning does kick in....as much as its all homemade and delicious.... I can eat melon balls n yogurt too.

If I have to keep relying upon the oral enemas used for clearing out stomachs pre ops then its horrible... And I know long term I may face a bag but consultant is trying everything he can to help me and I do have every confidence in him. He has restored my faith in NHS.

GPs can't give this drug as its about £58 for a month and cannot be repeated again. Compare this to £3-£4 a month that laxido sachets cost and it is a very expensive drug but hopefully will work.

I so hope it works and I can be less restrictive.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@donnellysdogs Fingers crossed that the new drug works for you.

How are you with nut butters? They are a good way to add calories to your meals (including smoothies) and are pre-mushed so might be easier to digest. We buy a variety of nut butters by a company called Meridian.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Yesterday I had the same breakfast and lunch. For dinner I had a Linda Mac quarter pounder with salad including lots of pickled jalapenos and tomatoes.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been having a very mushroom-y week with evening meals, as I bought my usual amount last Saturday then remembered weekend house guest couldn't tolerate them!

I've also returned to my slice of Burgen toast for breakfast. along with my berries and cream/greek yogurt on days I walk to work or will be having an active morning. I seem to tolerate a slice of bread if I'm going to walk almost immediately after it.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Tonight I had a tofu pizza-pizza filet with houmous, cold roast veg and salad. For pudding - a bit of Lidl 70% choc with orange.

ayqb9j.jpg