Coffee with cream

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've read alot of posts with people drinking coffee with cream. I've never tried it and wondered what it tastes like and what kind of cream is used. Do you just make standard black coffee then add the cream? What kind of cream......I assume it's pouring cream? I don't like cream in general but wondering if it'll be different in a coffee. I like lattes and cappuccinos. Do you think it's worthwhile trying it or will it not taste anything like a latte?

Reactions: 4 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use a small amount of Double Cream.

I usually make the Coffee stronger than usual, so the taste isn't overpowered by the cream.

Reactions: 2 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I love latte but haven't had one for months now. Coffee and cream is luxurious. Very yummy.
I hope you like it too.
I on occasion add coconut and almond milk in too. :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
You know I've never asked. I've had a black coffee in costa. Some carry little cream pots around in their handbag or pocket. They're available for caterers in food warehouses. Macro, bookers and cosco.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think I could drink black coffee! Does it taste similar to a latte once you add the cream?

mud_shark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Cream in coffee definitely tastes different to milk. I myself quite like it.. I tend to have plunger coffee at home and have maybe add a tablespoon of cream. It looks a bit weird until the cream mixes in with the coffee.. The taste is (perhaps not surprisingly) creamier than milk - so don't be expecting it to be similar to a latte. My wife thought it was gross at first, but now she loves and even prefers coffee with cream rather than milk.. Shame it doesn't quite work for tea as well...

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
"chocoholicnomore, post: 1128871, member: 37812"]I don't think I could drink black coffee! Does it taste similar to a latte once you add the cream?
Latte is sweet tasting whereas coffee and cream is thicker but I add sweetners. Coconut milk can help make it sweeter too.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @chocoholicnomore

I introduced Coffee N Cream last Sunday as I needed to put a little more HF into my LCHF. I use about a tablespoon of cream straight into the coffee. I also use some equal sweetner. It has taken me a few days to get used to it but it seems to highlight the flavour of the coffee. Give it a go but it may take a few cups for you to adjust to the taste. After a week I quite enjoy it now

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Years ago before all the fancy coffee drinks available now, a "posh" after dinner drink used to be coffee with pouring cream added by pouring it over a tea/coffee spoon so that it floated on top of the coffee. I always used to have it this way when I had coffee with cream, but now I'm a bit more common and just tip my cream in and stir :D - generally double cream as that's what I have in the house, but this does need a good mix in sometimes to stop it going "bitty". But now I tend to use unsweetened almond milk instead, but like @ickihun I'll also use various combinations of almond milk, cream and coconut oil. These fats and oils can keep you feeling nicely filled if you have a coffee for breakfast.

Robbity

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally, I don't like cream in my coffee and have it black nowadays (it took a while to get used to it after years of putting milk in, but I really like it now)

Lattes have loads of carbs in them due to the amount of milk (and even more if you have a skinny one - a large skinny latte from Costa has over 20g of carbs! ), so nowadays they're a very occasional treat and when I have one it's a small one with soya milk which has about 7g of carbs and is the lowest carb option for lattes

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oops, I was under the impression that as long as it's full fat milk then it's ok to have it. Every day is a learning day!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Costa serve cream - just ask for an Americano and then ask for pouring cream in it.

Last time I checked Starbucks only had that vile aerosol cream. Pah!

You should be able to get cream in most small coffee shops and cafes. Basically, if they serve double cream on their desserts then they should be able to give you some in coffee!

One more thing - what we call Double Cream in the UK is called Heavy Cream in the US.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
More great advice here .... ❤️ this forum!

For coffee at home I use Soya Light, I have a coffee warmer so drink around 160ml with my morning nespresso coffee. I chose this as low carbs - the calories in that much cream too much (I believe), and it also isn't good when warmed - doesn't go frothy.

Good choice? I'm not a great fan of Soya, but preferable over Almond milk I think ....

Confused again

Last edited by a moderator:

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I seem to have completely gone off caffeinated coffee since doing LCHF which is odd as it was always my poison of choice!

So I now use a really good Swiss Water filtered decaf which I make in a French press. I normally just pour a good glug of double cream into the bottom of a mug then pour the hot coffee on top and it is a lovely comforting drink.

I was in Costa yesterday and desperately wanted tea and was happy to see they are one of the few places that do full fat milk, so I had a lovely pot of tea with a small spot of full fat in it.

I was at the hospital with OH last week and they are only allowed to serve semi skimmed! Arrgh

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I make a strong mug of coffee with an Aeropress and add sweetener, double cream, and full cream milk. I find double cream on it's own is a bit overpowering. When I had a carton of hazelnut milk I used that with double cream, which was nice.
I bought a used coffee pod machine on ebay which arrived yesterday. I will be setting it up and trying it today.

mizloco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like I'll need to try it. Can it be bought when out for a coffee eg in Costas etc?
In Costa's just ask for an Americano with pouring cream. It's all I ever have and it's lovely. They give you a miniature jug of cream so you can add as much or as little as you want.

Reactions: 5 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find it far too sweet with cream in.

Black usually, or maybe a splash of skimmed milk if I can get it.