The devil and the deep blue see

Betsy_Moo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, my name is Hannah im 43 years old and have recently been diagnosed with type 2. I went to the doctor with symptoms of feeling exhausted, heart racing and feeling light headed. I never expected to be told i had diabets. It feels like it has taken over my world. I believed diabetes was just down to what you eat - well i got that wrong. It affects everything. I found out this morning after having a bath and taking my blood sugar levels that warm/hot baths can greatly influence your blood levels. It went high from 5.5 yesterday evening to 9.5 following a bath. I then sat trying to work out what i had eaten but couldnt see it was down to food, So i googled it and the results took me to one of these forums with the answer - it was the bath.

This whole diabetes thing is really scary - it affects everything. Im trying to stay optomistic and strong for my family but it is so very hard. Sorry to anyone who reads this im having a low day.

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Hannah and welcome. Hopefully you will find all the answers you need on these forums. @daisy will be along shortly to give information for newbies. As you will find around the forums, diet is key to the control of diabetes, with medication as well if needed, and Daisy's post will go into some detail. Can you let us know what your current BMI is?

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I have to be careful with hot baths too although it doesn't raise my bg it drops it, fast! Out of interest what had you eaten?

It's great you have a meter & are testing!

I'll tag @daisy1 who will provide you with some info, have a read and ask any questions you have :)

mizloco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am finding this too, but I am learning about it the best I can and trying to get to grips with all the changes in my life. I guess that's all you can do really. It takes a while to get acceptance, at least for me it does. Good luck x

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi, my name is Hannah im 43 years old and have recently been diagnosed with type 2. I went to the doctor with symptoms of feeling exhausted, heart racing and feeling light headed. I never expected to be told i had diabets. It feels like it has taken over my world. I believed diabetes was just down to what you eat - well i got that wrong. It affects everything. I found out this morning after having a bath and taking my blood sugar levels that warm/hot baths can greatly influence your blood levels. It went high from 5.5 yesterday evening to 9.5 following a bath. I then sat trying to work out what i had eaten but couldnt see it was down to food, So i googled it and the results took me to one of these forums with the answer - it was the bath.

This whole diabetes thing is really scary - it affects everything. Im trying to stay optomistic and strong for my family but it is so very hard. Sorry to anyone who reads this im having a low day.

Can I ask you to clarify something? You wrote that your bath was yesterday evening, but your high glucose reading was this morning, - did I understand that correctly?

Reactions: 4 people

Betsy_Moo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Hannah and welcome. Hopefully you will find all the answers you need on these forums. @daisy will be along shortly to give information for newbies. As you will find around the forums, diet is key to the control of diabetes, with medication as well if needed, and Daisy's post will go into some detail. Can you let us know what your current BMI is?
Hello, my current level is 5.5, which I believe is ok as I'm just about to eat tea. I'm on 1000mg metaformin but changing to 1500mg from Tuesday.

Betsy_Moo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I have to be careful with hot baths too although it doesn't raise my bg it drops it, fast! Out of interest what had you eaten?

It's great you have a meter & are testing!

I'll tag @daisy1 who will provide you with some info, have a read and ask any questions you have :)
Hi, I hadn't eaten, I jumped from the bed to the bath, got myself ready and then took my measurement and had breakfast.

I read that also that it can make your blood sugar levels low. It must be unique to the individual. I am liking these forums, so many answers.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Betsy_Moo

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope this will help you with your levels. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Betsy_Moo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can I ask you to clarify something? You wrote that your bath was yesterday evening, but your high glucose reading was this morning, - did I understand that correctly?
Sorry for the confusion, no my blood levels were low last night just before I went to bed. I got up around 8 jumped straight into the bath, got ready and took my reading before having breakfast.

Betsy_Moo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am finding this too, but I am learning about it the best I can and trying to get to grips with all the changes in my life. I guess that's all you can do really. It takes a while to get acceptance, at least for me it does. Good luck x
Thank you, I do keep telling myself that there are thousands of us out there! Are you recently diagnosed? I bought a dummies for diabetic book, not sure if that was a good thing. I do believe that knowledge is power and gives you greater understanding but it also has facts in there which I wish I hadn't read. Good luck to you.

mizloco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed just over two months ago. I brought reverse your diabetes by Dr David Cavan which is great. I've started doing the Low carb high fat diet which is suggested on here and check my bloods regularly. NHS have been useless giving me no help and incorrect information so I am grateful for this forum.

Betsy_Moo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed just over two months ago. I brought reverse your diabetes by Dr David Cavan which is great. I've started doing the Low carb high fat diet which is suggested on here and check my bloods regularly. NHS have been useless giving me no help and incorrect information so I am grateful for this forum.
I agree the forums that I have looked at so far are really good and its comforting to know that I can post a question and there will be someone there to answer it : ) Good luck with your diet.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Sorry for the confusion, no my blood levels were low last night just before I went to bed. I got up around 8 jumped straight into the bath, got ready and took my reading before having breakfast.

Hi @Betsy_Moo ,

So how do you know that your high morning reading is attributable to the bath and not to a good old fashioned liver dump?

Only asking because for the majority of people, heat would reduce glucose levels. I'm not saying that you're wrong here, just thought it was worth asking the question.

EDITED:
Welcome to the forums by the way!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Betsy_Moo ,

So how do you know that your high morning reading is attributable to the bath and not to a good old fashioned liver dump?

Only asking because for the majority of people, heat would reduce glucose levels. I'm not saying that you're wrong here, just thought it was worth asking the question.

You took the words right outta my mouth @urbanracer

@Betsy_Moo I don't believe a bath would have an effect that long after having one, sorry I can't have read the original post properly earlier, it's a lot more likely as urban has said, that you had a liver dump

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Betsy_Moo - learning about our bodies reactions to various happenings can be a bit scary, but many of these things have always been going on but perhaps we never needed to be aware of them previously as our non-diabetic bodies could just get on with managing things correctly. All that's really different now is that our meters have given us the means to see and record this information, and with this knowledge comes the option for us to take over some of its management instead.

I tend to agree with @urbanracer and @Mrsass _ unless you've done a fasting/wake up test first, there's no actual way of "blaming" the bath.as it could (most likely) be a liver dump, or a combination of both.

I've seen some rises in levels after a morning bath, but I'd originally attributed mine to general activity getting myself up and sorted in the morning and not specifically to a bath.
The rises I've seen have been after my morning wake up/fasting test, and as far as I can remember have been in the region of 1.5-2.0 mmol/L. But I've also seen other posts from people saying they had an increase after a hot bath or shower.

Robbity

Reactions: 4 people