boiled Potatoes Help

bloozman1969

ok here is what i need help with .... the carbohydrate contents of your bog standard peeled, boil in a pan potatoes, that you would buy in a bag at Tesco's ...... :?: :?: :?:
1. i am NOT American therefore do NOT deal in cups as a measurement they are for drinking from (or if you are an irate Lady, Throwing) Not weighing potatoes in .....
2. if i hear that a boiled potato the same size as a medium sized egg is 10 Carbohydrates i will track you down and feed you an ostrich egg (eggs come in several sizes and my medium is probably not your medium)
3. i would like my potato to be measured in Grammes PLEASE E.G.: 100G in weight is 10,20,30,40 carbohydrates
4. i have looked on the internet for the answer to this and even gone as far as buying Carbs and Cals by Chris Cheyette & Yello Balolia (which is VERY good and Informative) but it does not have boiled potatoes in it .....

thank you for any help in this matter as i have looked all over the place to find out this info that is either in the american format (cups) or confusing ....... :? :?

:D :D :D :D

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I have the Collins Gem Calorie Counter book, which has an extensive list of foods. It lists, in addition to calories, protien, carbs and fat.

Being small, it's convenient if you want to take it with you. It's not expensive to buy, either.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Gem-Calorie-Counter-Uk/dp/000731762X

In this book, it gives the values for new potatoes, boiled and boiled in skins, or canned; old potatoes listed as cooked in various ways etc. Might answer your questions

Cheers

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
It is much easier to give up potatoes entirely than to fret over how little you might want to eat! I used to be an addict to potatoes and I have quit them.
I don't even grow them these days though a few of them didn't get the message for two years and sent up forlorn leaves in my garden.

Reactions: 2 people

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We work on 17g per 100g for boiled potatoes, 16g per 100g for mashed potato, 21g per 100g for baked potato, 24g per 100g for roast potato. So yes on average potato is 20g carb per 100g but varies slightly depending on the cooking method and I suppose the variety of potato may vary slightly too.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is online copy of a book produced by Medtronic and a French hospital for pump users . It's in French but has pictures of 100g of potatoes, pasta rice etc and also pics for fruits and deserts (sadly a bit blurred in the online version). The beauty of it is that almost everything is done by the 100 or 200 gs not some vague portion. It doesn't give exact carb figures, many are rounded to the 5,10,20 g but for me I've found that it's accurate enough. I have the book as a paper copy and its been the most useful of the several carb books that I have.
http://www.medtronic-diabete.fr/tl_file ... ucides.pdf

hallii

The carb content of spuds certainly varies, at least the effect does for me.
Mashed old spuds are out, they cause to much of a spike. New scrappers in moderation 3 -4 are fine, no undue spike. So it may not be all down to the carb content, the structure and other content must make some difference.

I have found the same to be true of apples, not all apples are equal, I can eat some varieties and not others.

Try sweet poatatoes, they hardly affect me at all.

H

Grazer

I've done lots of experimenting with spuds. Old ones boiled pr mashed give me bad spikes. NEW potatos, boiled (but not too much) are much better. They are listed as lower GI, and if you look on the nutritional content of the label on new spuds, they're shown as 15 grams of carbs per 100 grams of potato. So much better. (some new pots show as 16.2) Works out at about 6 or 7 grams of carbs per new potato at average size.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Spuds are roughly 17-20g of carbs per 100g, roasted ones are slightly higer and are approx 25g of carbs per 100g.

I eat spuds 3-4 times a week with my main evening meal, I don't eat them mashed as the gi value of mashed potato is high and would undoubedly cause a spike. Sweet potato is very nice for a change and is lower in the glycemic index.

Nigel

Reactions: lorraine95

pianoman

[youtube]Vw7KmYjnHYs[/youtube]

...I think I recognise that plastic steak (at about 18 seconds) from my Diabetes Education classes :wink:

abie6

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
1. No "low carb" or "zero sugar" aisles in supermarkets. 2. Sugary "low fat" foods.
Had small boiled potatoes with fish and broccoli washed down with a pint of water with apple cider vinegar. BG didn't go above 5.7. Phew!! Whereas a slice of bread shoots my BG into outer space.