Hypo indecision

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it just me????

I had a very unexpected hypo whilst out shopping today...it came on really quick...went from retail therapy induced high to 'heck I'm gonna pass out' in a matter of minutes.

To cut a long story short...I made it to supermarket just across the car park...not thinking at all straight I went straight to the sweets isle and just stared at the contents...totally incapable of making a decision. While logic should dictate at this point...'just pick something god dammit' I just stood there unable to make any kind of decision. Thankfully there was a lady restocking the shelves whilst this was happening so asked her to 'please just pick me something' and bless her...without too much need for explanation she just grabbed me a Galaxy and pointed me in the direction of the self service tills...totally bewildering experience whilst hypo...feeding fivers into all the wrong holes...but I got there in the end...but that's a whole other story.

Anyway...just wondering if anyone else has this problem. It's something I've always put down to being a Libran...apparently indecision is a very typical trait...or whether it's something else...as in...it's such a rare treat to eat chocolate that you are just literally spoiled for choice??

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to get that. I couldn't process my thoughts to make a decision. Even if someone was standing beside me telling me to just choose something, I wouldnt.

The best thing to do is to have two or three things that you always choose. That way hopefully autopilot will take over. I don't think it's the excitement of chocolate - just the brain going slow.

And double check you have glucose tablets with you! Shopping is hard work : D

I hope you recovered quickly :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Natalie1974
i did the exact same quite a few years ago( about 1984 i think ) -- but no nice shop floor worker came to assist me-- I probably stood in the sweet aisle for about 30 minutes just staring at the sweets unable to pick 1 out -- until a work colleague showed up to rescue me because I had not returned to work on time.

LOL -- taurus here --

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was a pretty scary experience all in all...but very grateful for that shop assistant because I reckon I would've just passed out otherwise. Not sure how low my blood sugar was...my libre was reading 2.9 but this sensor tends to read a fair bit higher than my blood monitor which is so not the norm in my experience :rolleyes:.

I know I shouldn't laugh...but you've got to see the funny side. The moment I realised I was dropping...I made my way out the car park and double checked my bag for sweets...I was actually sitting crossed legged in the middle of the car park emptying my bag out in search of my precious jelly babies. A couple came over and asked if I was ok...I was pretty far gone by this point and just responded with a blank face 'I lost my jelly babies!'...they looked pretty freaked out and just kinda ran away...I can't blame them really but it makes me laugh now...can't imagine what I must've looked like.

It's strange though...when I'm at home or work...hypo's are no big deal...not sure if that's because I know that I have a cupboard stocked full of jelly babies or whether it's more about feeling out of control in a public place?

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Natalie1974
i did the exact same quite a few years ago( about 1984 i think ) -- but no nice shop floor worker came to assist me-- I probably stood in the sweet aisle for about 30 minutes just staring at the sweets unable to pick 1 out -- until a work colleague showed up to rescue me because I had not returned to work on time.

LOL -- taurus here --

Taurus is the bull...you should've been tearing the place up eating everything in site...my brother is a taurus...I know he would've been lol

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In hypo situation all the weird things happens....I remember walking around supermarket, in a slow motion, looking for my friend who I came shopping with. I saw people staring at me but I was unable to do anything. Now I know, shopping is exhausting so I'm always prepared for a hypo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
i must admit i smiled a great deal reading your post ...........but in a nice kindly sort of way -- sort of like I get what you've been through---

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i must admit i smiled a great deal reading your post ...........but in a nice kindly sort of way -- sort of like I get what you've been through---
That's the great thing about this site...I couldn't say that anywhere else and not be considered a weirdo lol

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I like all of us for that reason :)

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In hypo situation all the weird things happens....I remember walking around supermarket, in a slow motion, looking for my friend who I came shopping with. I saw people staring at me but I was unable to do anything. Now I know, shopping is exhausting so I'm always prepared for a hypo
Who would've thought shopping could be such hard work??? Men...take note ;)
I always always have my little pot of jelly babies in my bag...but have had a mad weekend of spring cleaning...had left them sitting sad and lonely on my beside table...would like to say it'll never happen again...but...it probably will...not as organised on weekends as I am during the week :(

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
problee :D:eek:

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was actually sitting crossed legged in the middle of the car park emptying my bag out in search of my precious jelly babies. A couple came over and asked if I was ok...
For a minute I thought you meant a couple of your jelly babies came over and asked if you were OK - it could only happen in a hypo ;)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a T2D on orals, so my hypos are much more genteel than any described above. BUT I have a best mate who is T1D and pumping. When he gets a hypo it can be like a switch. One minute he is ok, the next the lights are still on but nobody is at home. He has the 1000 yd stare and a weird smile on his face like a baby. It is almost impossible to communicate with him when he is like this, and I sometimes have to place a glucotab under his tongue to shift it.
It happens when we are on stage in the middle of a number. it happens at his home. it happens on the bus or in the local shop. Sometimes we need the paramedics, Generally someone gets through the fog, and we deal with it.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I am a T2D on orals, so my hypos are much more genteel than any described above. BUT I have a best mate who is T1D and pumping. When he gets a hypo it can be like a switch. One minute he is ok, the next the lights are still on but nobody is at home. He has the 1000 yd stare and a weird smile on his face like a baby. It is almost impossible to communicate with him when he is like this, and I sometimes have to place a glucotab under his tongue to shift it.
It happens when we are on stage in the middle of a number. it happens at his home. it happens on the bus or in the local shop. Sometimes we need the paramedics, Generally someone gets through the fog, and we deal with it.
low bloods can certainly have their moments -- thankfully he has you for support :)

fozzie84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Definately had similar experiences, sometimes I test based on my inability to make a decision and I find I am low/dropping. I once had a horrible experience whilst out with my husband (he was my boyfriend at the time). We were also shopping and had popped into Boots to pick up some lunch. The next thing I knew I was sitting in one of their little consulting areas eating glucose tablets. Turned out he had asked me which sandwich I wanted and I had just burst into tears! Thankfully he knew enough to sort me out and I was very grateful as I don't know what would have happened if I had been on my own.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know that dazed look well, even though I'm looking at it through my own eyes from my own head. I'm standing around in shops like the light's gone out. Popping glucose tablets is the quickest solution for me, I hate them but feel such gratitude to the **** things when I find they are there when I need them: "There you are, a bit beat-up and covered in lint at the bottom of my bag, but so what?' Despite the disbelief and indecision that indicates a hypo, I think, marginally, I am slightly more able to react and treat if I'm out and about. Fear, probably. Strangers can't know I'm hypo. At home, I can slide into a deafening hypo silence, and my silence gets noticed by OH, son or daughter who then will not be fobbed off by my protests of non-hypodom.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Natalie1974

Yep, I totally get where your description of that hypo symptom is coming from.
Had the odd "can't see the wood for the trees" moment when low..

I used to be indecisive. But now I test to make sure.! :p