IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Re: Hypo's and long term brain damage

As soon as a read (in a Balance letter) that simvastatin could cause muscle pain, I stopped it & within a week the muscle pain had gone. I then reported to my Dr, who agreed it was a common side effect.

I do add oat bran & Flora pro-active to other mixes (but not spread on the bread I don't eat.) My chol was 7.6 at diagnosis 10 years ago, & is running below 5 without medication.

stfluffybrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Please be aware any STATIN usage needs to be accompanied by Co enzyme Q10 as they deplete it and this is VERY dangerous!
Hiya, by the way :)
Dawnx

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

stfluffybrain said:
Please be aware any STATIN usage needs to be accompanied by Co enzyme Q10 as they deplete it and this is VERY dangerous!
Dawnx

Hi there.
Welcome to the forum.

Do you have any source or reference for this claim ?

stfluffybrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Somewhere yep
Give me a while I am suffering at the mo
I first saw it on a medical school powerpoint presentation, however the Drs don't seem so very familiar with it.

BBL

stfluffybrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Back,
sorry if not enough but this subject is very easy to research if you want more.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19228872?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=9
Coenzyme Q10 improves endothelial dysfunction in statin-treated type 2 diabetic patients

Statin treatment reduces circulating levels of CoQ10.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17560286

Merck actually patented (4,933,165) a combination of statin and CQ10 in a pill but never put it on the market
http://www.communicationagents.com/chris/2003/12/13/statin_drugs_coenzyme_q10_depletion.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17493470

Treatment with ubiquinone was associated with reversal of lovastatin-induced myopathy,
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9816194
Please bear in mind the heart is a muscle when reading these. We are lucky that with funding coming mostly from pharma who make these statins this much is still being revealed.

I have no Athens any more however if you put these two into google, scholarly, Pubmed, or even not scholarly, because some informative things come up on ordinary websites who also research sifting thru papers (remember often ‘peer review and clique review' have things in common)

In health I tend to err on the side of caution and recommend the Q10.

Dawnx

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

stfluffybrain said:
Dawnx

Thanks for your information Dawn.
I have to say whilst I agree for some people it MAY be beneficial in some ways.....to say it is VERY dangerous to do without is rather extreme. We have had some discussions about Q10 on here before, I don't think anybody has ever alleged it was dangerous to not use it whilst taking a statin ?? I didn't find that in any of the links either, nor in any of my previous research on the subject.

Some previous findings:
Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is produced by the human body and is necessary for the basic functioning of cells. CoQ10 levels are reported to decrease with age and to be low in patients with some chronic diseases such as heart conditions, muscular dystrophies, Parkinson's disease, cancer, diabetes, and HIV/AIDS. Some prescription drugs may also lower CoQ10 levels.

Levels of CoQ10 in the body can be increased by taking CoQ10 supplements, although it is not clear that replacing "low CoQ10" is beneficial.

CoQ10 has been used, recommended, or studied for numerous conditions, but remains controversial as a treatment in many areas.

So I have to disagree with your opinion and would advise members to do their own research before deciding if it is in fact, dangerous or not to do without Q10 whilst taking any statin. Or, even whether it is a worthwhile supplement.

C

catherinecherub

You need to look up contra-indications, side effects and drug interations of Co enzyme Q10 before you can say that it is a safe product for every individual. It could also be dangerous for some individuals to take it.

C

catherinecherub

stfluffybrain said:
Dawnx
This first post of yours contradicts your last post as some statins interact with Co enzyme Q10. and are listed in the drug interactions you have put forward.

stfluffybrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Drug interractions are not the same as contraindications.
It says tell your Dr, because often dosage adjustments are needed, or the Dr might think it isn't a good idea in your particular case to take said drug/supplement.
So I have to disagree with your comment that it contradicts me. Q10 can lower blood glucose levels too, so adjustments also may be needed there, as well as with the statins.
Truth is of course, all drugs cause side effects, some more than others, the less you can be on the better.
Dawnx

C

catherinecherub

You certainly seem to be backtracking from your first post.
catherinecherub said:
stfluffybrain said:
Dawnx
This seems to imply that Q10 has to be taken with statins.

stfluffybrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sometimes you have to go out on a limb, I did, I have seen documentation in the past that suggests dangerous depletion of Q10 on statins.
Bear in mind people who die of a heart attack while on statins will be documented as just dying of a heart attack, or liver failure, or because of 'high cholesterol' (something which used to be used to diagnose hypothyroidism but don't get me going on that because I don't have the energy).
IMHO it is sensible to replace a vital co enzyme if depleted as your body needs that to perform vital functions because without it, the body cannot perform the said functions.
I rest my case, if you prefer the last say carry on :D