Doc said I was stupid

trudy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to read such a negative post, unacceptable response from a person in the medical profession. I would change doctors or change surgery's @trudy1.
I probably would of got up, started to walk out and said to GP " It's not me who's the silly one here" and left.
Good luck and take care, RRB
Thank you. Think I was just shocked, was so pleased with myself that I was controlling my glucose levels etc never thought the doc would act that way. I'm going to ignore him and carry on what I'm doing

Reactions: 13 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
How hard would it be for you to change doctor? If my GP called me stupid and silly I'd be doing a bit more than ranting on a website.

Reactions: 2 people

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@trudy1 zero respect for any Doc who talks to his patients like that. Keep going if it works for you

trudy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How hard would it be for you to change doctor? If my GP called me stupid and silly I'd be doing a bit more than ranting on a website.
I have filled out a form to move to another doctors. I just wanted to rant aswell for your information

Reactions: 9 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My first was 78 and my last one was 42
So he couldn't see how a LCHF approach had brought your figures down drastically to a pre-diabetic level?
I think I would be looking to change my GP if she/he was so unhelpful.

statler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
salad
i wouldnt take it personally, if your doctor was like mine when i was recently diagnosed, the diabetic nurse told me that he came running in to see her thinking i was going to die with my readings and asked if i should be sent via ambulance to the hospital straight away :mad: she said not :)

i have started testing and feel it is within my own destiny how my health pans out so why shouldnt i test or eat what i feel is right.

cant play football in the dark without a clue where the ball is

Reactions: 7 people

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I showed him blood monitor results and my food diary and how well I'm keeping my readings stable and he just wasn't interested.
We both must be seeing the same doctor...:rolleyes:..no manners what so ever!

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
How can any professional doctor treat a patient who is taking responsibility for their own health with such scorn!?! No wonder you felt like your big shiny balloon had been well and truly punctured. You know what is working for you, so carry on as you are and, who knows, your doctor may just take notice and have their narrow mind opened up. Don't let his/her comments get you down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had lowered my HbA1c at my last test from 46 to 42 my doctor and nurse did not ask me how I did it they were just pleased that I had.

Reactions: 7 people

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
My Dr told me my son wasn't I'll, I was a fussy mother, that was on the 2nd appointment in 2 days. The 3rd day dad took him to another dr to get him looked at. That Dr put him straight to hospital. Had we believed the 1st Dr my baby son could have been dead within 48 hrs. SO BELIEVE IN YOURSELF AND SHOW THE DR THE PROOF. THEY GET THINGS WRONG MANY TIMES.

Reactions: 8 people

Liso66

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes - Boredom - Lima Beans - Brussell Spouts - Dogs stuffed in shoulder-bags (Dogs are not an accessory) Shopping. (Yeah, I know. Broken female gene)
Been to the docs this morning. I've lost weight which is great he asked me what I was eating I said LCHF and he said that's stupid and I'm silly for doing it also said I should nor be checking my blood. I left feeling really deflated. Sorry I just wanted a rant

Your doctor should be ashamed of themselves. I am also LCHF and my doctor is very supportive because it's showing good results. I'd request a new doctor and report that one for name calling. They were offensive and highly unprofessional. Also, tell your doctor to do some research. Medicine and diets have changed since the 20th century.

Good for you! Keep up the amazing work!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. How ignorant of the GP. He needs to go back to medical school and to stop treating diabetes until he improves his patient handling skills and diabetes knowledge.

doolallylady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As well as changing your GP, I would put in a formal written complaint to the Practice Manager. They need to be made aware of his lack of respect and non existent, downright rude bedside manner.

Good luck and keep up the good work.

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
What sort of doctor says something like that? Answer: one who doesn't know what he's talking about.

S

Sable_Jan

Been to the docs this morning. I've lost weight which is great he asked me what I was eating I said LCHF and he said that's stupid and I'm silly for doing it also said I should nor be checking my blood. I left feeling really deflated. Sorry I just wanted a rant
Doc is the STUPID one.
How can you get control if you don't know what spikes you or what portion size to can eat without a spike. S/he is an idiot

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Before you move surgery, I would ask for a meeting with the GP in question, the practice manager and someone you trust who knows how you eat and what you've done to support you.

I'd then take the GP to task over the use of words that he gave and suggest politely to the practice manager that "It is no wonder that you have so many type 2s that are getting no better in your practice if this is the advice they are getting". Suggest that the surgery gets in touch with NHS England and especially the Diabetes care leads about how they need to deal with patients by listening to them.

But do it all very politely and make them feel ashamed.

trudy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Before you move surgery, I would ask for a meeting with the GP in question, the practice manager and someone you trust who knows how you eat and what you've done to support you.

I'd then take the GP to task over the use of words that he gave and suggest politely to the practice manager that "It is no wonder that you have so many type 2s that are getting no better in your practice if this is the advice they are getting". Suggest that the surgery gets in touch with NHS England and especially the Diabetes care leads about how they need to deal with patients by listening to them.

But do it all very politely and make them feel ashamed.
That's a very good idea never thought of that. Thank you

Reactions: 6 people

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Your GP is a bozo.

It's ok for people in general to be ignorant of developing ideas in treating diabetes but GP's at least should have some sort of an awareness of it.

I would refer him to the following information from a GP on the side of the angels, or at least on our side; Southport GP who posts on the forum.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...diabetes-and-non-alcoholic-fatty-liver.84887/

Then ask your GP to a) name the deficiency disease associated with low carbing and b) provide you with a link to a controlled study demonstrating the dangers of carbohydrate restriction.

Trick questions of course; 'there are none' is the answer to both of those.

Best

Dillinger

Reactions: 5 people

Pat_Ann

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You are not stupid, you have assumed control of your life. LCHF is not stupid. Why shouldn't you be checking your blood? He is just ignorant. Congrats on the weight loss.

ColS

I was diagnosed T2 in December 2011 and was on Metformin for two years until my kidney function took a dive. I was taken off Metformin and reverted to diet only as my HbA1c was down to 47 this was ok until last year when it shot up to the mid 60's.
By last November my HbA1c was down to 52, Glicklazide 40mg and LHCD. My Consultant is pretty happy with my actions and progress. My annual medication revue last week my GP said he was pleased by my proactive approach to diabetes but admits he knows little about LHCD. I have an appointment with the diabetic nurse the week after next and expect to see my HbA1c down into the 40's again. While my GP Practice and Consultant seem to be only working on the NICE guide lines they are interested on how my HbA1c is coming down.