Fits/Seizures

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
T1 diagnosed in Jan 2013, probably T1 for at least a year beforehand.

Had some sort of fit or seizure last night, very scary, my wife thought I was having a hypo but I was convulsing apparently and not conscious, I don't remember any of it other than waking up on the bedroom floor soaked in sweat.

It was very scary, not sure if it's in anyway diabetes related, thought I'd check in and see if anyone has had anything similar?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Did you take a blood glucose test when you came around? It's very possible it was hypo related as fits in hypos are experienced by some people. It is still worth visiting your GP to rule out other causes though.

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you take a blood glucose test when you came around? It's very possible it was hypo related as fits in hypos are experienced by some people. It is still worth visiting your GP to rule out other causes though.

Hi, thanks for the reply. No didn't take BG, wasn't in a fit state, ate a few gluc tabs in case it was hypo, and went to sleep. but when I awoke it was >12mmol after 3 gluc tabs, so don't think I was hypo. Need to visit the GP, just interested if anyone else had similar issues.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Tend to agree with Tim, if you won't conscious and were convulsing then I'd mention this to your Dr or diabetes team. Did your wife have to give you the glucagon injection to bring you round @JRW?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi, thanks for the reply. No didn't take BG, wasn't in a fit state, ate a few gluc tabs in case it was hypo, and went to sleep. but when I awoke it was >12mmol after 3 gluc tabs, so don't think I was hypo. Need to visit the GP, just interested if anyone else had similar issues.
If you had been hypo and came out of it yourself you would have been experiencing a liver dump. These can continue for hours afterwards, so in tandem with glucose tablets, it's very possible to get blood glucose levels in the teens after a severe hypo.

There's quite a body of research regarding the body's release of glucose in response to lows and it's surprising just how much is released and for how long in response to a low.

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It does sound like a hypo. I have had lots of these in the past. The convulsions and sweating are caused because your adrenalin is dumping like mad to try and get the liver to dump. As Tim2000s suggests this will easily lead to a rise in your glucose levels of this amount. If it happens again definitely either test yourself or get your partner to do it for you.
The worrying thing for you is that if it is a hypo it shows a lack of awareness during the night which means these kinds of things can become more frequent. You don't say what your control is like or if you had been drinking before etc but it is worth taking this as the answer unless you find out anything else is causing it.

B583

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
MARMITE!!
No didn't take BG, wasn't in a fit state, ate a few gluc tabs in case it was hypo, and went to sleep. but when I awoke it was >12mmol after 3 gluc tabs, so don't think I was hypo.
Doesn't your wife/partner know how to take your BG for you, so they know what's going on & how to treat you best? Best to check BG either way, however you feel to ensure you correct properly, otherwise you'll just make it worse & further the complications for it too. If she doesn't, show her & let her practice a few times, like having to inject you, if you take insulin for your diabetes?? Worth considering for next time or future reference.

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Firstly, thanks everyone for the responses, and the kind words of concern, much appreciated.

There are a bunch of reasons I don't believe it was a hypo, have been down in the 1's several times in the past, and never experienced anything like this, it didn't feel like a hypo. The worst hypo I ever had was when I massively overdid the insulin and ended up collapsing, but I remembered it all, and cam round feeling totally different. Most of all though I hadn't taken any bolus for over 8 hours before this happened, so don't think I would just have the most severe hypo in that scenario when my basal is the same as normal.

I will go and see my GP and see if he can enlighten me.

B583

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
MARMITE!!
Ironically the smallest of exercise can bring down your BG. Be careful you don't have too much bolus before & check BG a little while after.
Also another point is seizures don't always feel the same each time. As I've had hypo's with no knowledge until checking & other times I may sweat, shake or feel light headed.
Best bet is to check BG regularly until you understand what affects the control of them & how to control them better daily
All the best

Annie86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi JRW.

I have had the same issue with fit/seizure witnessed by flatmates. Called paramedics on several occasions. In my case it was hypo related. BG'S below one. Diabetes team put me on a blood glucose sensor for several days which showed I was having nocturnal hypo's.
Turned out I was having bad reaction's to the long acting insulin. Happened with both lantus and levemir.
I could hear things around me but wasn't awake or able to respond if that makes any sense.
Best to get it investigated sooner rather than later because they certainly take their toll whenever they occur but specifically when regular. Maybe ask to have a sensor fitted if deemed appropriate to monitor natural peeks and trophy in your blood glucose levels.
Are you on insulin?
If so which types?
Can your wife take blood glucose tests?
Hope you're OK

Anna x