Sweetener question

janetilett

Hello
I have been told artificial sweeteners raise blood sugar levels. I have looked into this myself and there is no definite answer. Do any of you know if this is true?
Thanks
Janet

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For 99.9% of people, no. The evidence for the other .1% of people is for the most part anecdotal.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As Torq says nothing definitive, but have read a few articles on this and recently watched a program where they did a mini test and all of the sweeteners except Stevia raised the test groups blood sugar,....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/51yxBQyvqpNYPT3PF0LGL3G/are-artificial-sweeteners-bad-for-me

This bears out the other stuff I have read...............

Have used it a while (Stevia) and while its a bit more expensive than others (very cheap at Aldi tho) its worth it just for peace of mind..

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm not aware of any effect on blood sugar for most of the popular sweeteners I use.

Sofie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
I have been told artificial sweeteners raise blood sugar levels. I have looked into this myself and there is no definite answer. Do any of you know if this is true?
Thanks
Janet

Yes, that's right, some are. I learned that at my introduction-study about how to live with my diabetes. If I find my notes, I shall come back and tell which one is dangerous and which one you can use, You can use Erythritol. That is natural and looks like sugar. You can even sweeten your tea with it.. Stevia is a natural alternative as well, but the taste is not complete like sugar.

Sofie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@janetilett

I have found the notes from the introduction study that I promised to come back to in my post #5.
It might be a good idea to be careful with these sweeteners because they elevate ones level of blood sugar in the body:

Fruktose
Sorbitol
Xylitol
Mannitol
Maltitol
Laktitol
Isomalt

Here are those recognized as safe because they lower the level of blood sugar in the body:

Aspartam
Cyklamat*
Acesulfam K
Sakkarin
Sukralose
Erythritol
Stevia**

*Words with a 'k' (like Cyklamat) is perhaps written with a 'c' in English/American.

**Stevia was not in the original list, but has been recognized later.

Hope this was helpful! :)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I've heard they increase appetite because the brain thinks food of some kind has arrived and the digestive juices start flowing. To protect itself the body then needs food to digest. The best and it is by no means easy is to try and wean yourself away from the desire for sweet stuff. Easier for me because I never really had that desire anyway. Cup of tea being the exception. To get over that I started having green tea with lemon juice in so actually going the opposite. The rest of the day I now have in my tea .... and I drink a lot of it as a rule is less than a quarter teaspoon of half sugar.
I'm T2.
I don't think in the last six months I've had a meter reading above 7.5 more than three or four times.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I enjoy this woman's keto cooking channel and she's recently done a review of a whole lot of sweeteners for taste, BG control, ease for cooking etc. Thought it may be helpful for some:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Erythritol ans Stevia are the two that I've seen as best recommended for diabetic use, and I don't have any issues with them. Xylitol is also recommended, particularly for baking, but please don't have this in the house if you keep dogs, as it can be a really serious danger to them, even in very small amounts.

Robbity

ETA I've just watched the video that @Indy51 linked to above, and I have to say that I totally agree with the lady about the Sukrin products - they are my low carb go-to "alternative sugars" too.

Last edited by a moderator: