More amputations

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I heard the item on the news yesterday, where it was announced that more T2 diabetics are suffering amputations of feet or legs.
I was waiting for someone else to bring up the subject, but it seems to have fallen to me.

Here is a reference to the Telegraph article:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healt ... tated.html

It does mention in the article that 80% of these amputations could be avoided with beter care and awareness.
I used this information in my attempt to get my PCT to re-think test strip prescriptions. I got the same brick wall as always. I see the DSN on Feb 4th, so I'll try her and see if I can get it into my individual care plan.
It all argues for setting and keeping to tighter targets. Hb A1c of 7% simply isn't going to protect anyone( and most amputees don't live more than 5 years post surgery.)
Somehow we have to educate the medical profession.
Hana

wallycorker

I was involved in a meeting at the local hospital recently and a figure of 10,000 amputations per year nationwide was mentioned.

I asked how many of these could possibly have been avoided by good control of blood glucose levels. The answer that I received from the senior healthcare professionals in attendance was "Quite possibly almost all of them!".

Moreover, I asked the same people whether they would ever expect to see amputations being neceassary in someone who had maintained good control and the answer to that question was an unequivocal "No!".

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I have responded to the article, using the substance of what I what criticizing a similar Canadian article.
I have read your article & note "Alan Cassels is a drug policy researcher at the University of Victoria and author of The ABCs of Disease Mongering, an Epidemic in 26 Letters."

I note also the total absence of references, so that I presume your statements regarding the research reports mentioned are selected to support your thesis, that testing BS for diabetics is counter-productive & at best a waste of public money, & at worst contributes to the progress of the disease.

I am very concerned at your use of inappropriate language:
This recommendation counters a report put out this summer by the Canadian Agency for Drugs Technologies in Health (CADTH), a publicly funded agency that produces weapons-grade evidence on the value of drugs and technologies.
"Weapons-grade evidence??????? Who are you using these weapons against?????

You also state:
Other researchers in Canada, who have examined spending patterns related to blood glucose test strips, have concluded that about half the patients using these test strips are considered at low risk for hypoglycemia and are probably using these strips unnecessarily. These researchers have come to similar conclusions as my own: that excessive testing of blood glucose in type-2 diabetics is costly; much of it is unnecessary and it’s probably harmful.

Only half "at low risk for hypoglycemia?" What do you know about T2 diabetes? Our problem is high blood sugar, NOT low. High BS contributes to heart disease, blindness, kidney failure, amputation, etc..... all of which are VERY expensive conditions. $2 per day is money very well spent if it is used to control a potentially very serious condition that was recently the subject of an advertising campaign in the UK warning against "The Silent Assassin."

You advise:
Even with type-2 diabetes, we know nothing works better than proper diet and exercise so wouldn’t this wasted money be better spent on more exercise and diet-based approaches to staving off the ravages of diabetes? I think so.

"Proper diet & exercise" education indicates a serious lack of knowledge on your part. In fact the offical dietary advice by the health service professionals is to "eat starchy foods at each meal" (especially those high in fibre*.) I followed that advice for 8 years from diagnosis, & continued playing tennis & exercising at the hospital gym. (A supervised programme my wife as a heart patient attends.) By the spring of 2008, peripheral neuropathy was setting in, giving intense muscle pain. I was becoming disabled. My HBA was 6.7 & was considered acceptable by my Dr. He suggested quinine for cramp, & suggested further tests.

At that time I found a web diabetes forum, www.diabetes.co.uk where I learned from other diabetics the dangers of the high carbohydrate diet recommended. I cut my carbs drastically & withing 3 months the pain was gone & my mobility fully restored. My finger BS tests showed that under the high carb diet my overnight fasting readings averaged 6.9, while the reduced carb diet averaged about 5.8. The HBA was then 6.8, so showed no indication of the transformation in my health. Over the following year it has dropped to 6.2. My BMI dropped from 27 to 24, & cholesterol from 5.4 to 4.3. (I cannot take statins - you might like to rant about those, & if you did, I might agree with you.)

Once the predicted complications had set in, exercise was no longer an option. I was walking with a stick, & I could not do the heart exercises. (I haven't got a heart condition - I'm only there with my wife.)

From the experience of many contributing to the http://www.diabetes.co.uk forum, the dietary information (starchy carbs) given by the professionals actually aggravates our condition, & contributes to the incidence of T2 diabetes by overloading our system with carbs, & the resultant high BS.

We need an intelligent & informed programme to help control diabetes, NOT an ill-informed rant by the ignorant, only concerned with saving public money.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Perhaps, Veggie, instead of ranting at type 2 diabetics you could turn your attention to telling the US and UK dietary advisor's that the advice they give to diabetics is helping to cause the very condition it is supposed to help !!

When uninformed people follow their HCP's advice to the letter and just get worse and worse then there is definitely something wrong with the system of information.

Many type 2's BTW are not on insulin and do their damnedest to control their condition so do not tar us all with the same brush !

tezza

this makes me so mad,my grandfartherwas a double amputee,my doctor knows this ,my bg 8/6 and still no medication,ive asked and asked for strips lancets ect but he,my doctor does not believe in type 2 ,s checking their blood,i can not aford to buy them ,so what do i do now walk into a and e go off my trolly,knowing my luck get locked up or sectioned to get the help i need,or even worse go into some type of coma because my blood sugar goes overboard and i dont know till its to late :evil: sorry for the rant but these doctors have our lives in there hands. :cry:

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
veggienft said:

The money spent supporting lifestyle addiction is not "public" money.It is money forcibly confiscated from hard working people ........people who don't pleasure themselves into illness .......people who don't continue pleasuring themselves past the point of limited return.

Veggie, surely our main concern is to support our fellow diabetics not to deride them.
I was recently made redundant after 36 years of continuous service. My company went into administration due to incompetent management hence I received no redundancy or notice pay. After 6 months, my £63 a week jobseekers allowance has been halted and I am now on my own.

I estimate that my own and employers contributions to tax and NI over my working life amount to approx a third of a million pounds plus interest. I have saved the NHS a lot of money by paying for private health during my working life and using private facilities, hence relieving the NHS of several thousand pounds.

I have purchased equipment on ebay to provide a small exercise facility (Cost several hundred pounds) and my purchase of supplements and test strips amount to approx £60 per month.

I self diagnosed my condition which was confirmed by my company's OH Nurse, despite the fact that I had gout and sleep apnoia for several years which I now understand are related ilnesses to diabetes and hence I should have been tested years ago for diabetes.

The NHS provide me with standard support and if I am successful in managing my own condition, then the financial impact on the NHS will be minimal. So if I am personally responsible for my life threatening condition, then I shall not lose any sleep at the prospect of using NHS services to help me to manage my condition in the future, as I assume that I havent been paying tax and insurance for 36 years for nothing :?

All the best. Steve.

C

catherinecherub

I don't know how old you are veggienft but you may be amazed to know that older diabetics have paid into the health budget right up until retirement. They are entitled to the same as the rest of us and it is a sorry state of affairs when someone of pensionable age has to fund testing strips. It is equally outrageous for those on low incomes, sickness benefits and job seekers allowance to have to do this as well.
A lot of response as to how to manage diabetes comes from the education provided and instead of having a go at every opportunity why don't you put your obvious anger to a better use and lobby for better education and empowerment for all diabetics regardless of type?
Your profile states that you have been a Type 2 for one year, hardly a lot to crow about as you have no idea of what may or may not be in store for you in the future. Many diabetics follow an appropriate diet for years but somehow end up with complications so please don't make out that it is the easiest thing in the world to do. Get a bit more experience under your belt, show compassion for your fellow man and try and see the good in people.

chrissieworne

Veggie
I find your comments deeply offensive. I am t2 and am a bit overweight but I assure you I am not a fat lazy slob by any means. I am 51 yrs old and have worked dammed hard all my life and still am!!! I have taken very little out of this health service and in my very stressful customer facing job sit and watch drug, tobacco and alcohol addicted people rinse thousands out of the NHS each year. Now, I could say this is their life choice, don't have to smoke, drink or take drugs, however I have enough compassion in me to see they still need help and didn't set out to become addicted.
I was diagnosed in May this yr and I have always eaten healthily and exercised as much as poss. I do not believe I have this damned condition through a bad lifestyle. In fact my GP said there is evidence it could be genetic (can't choose my t1 and t2 relatives) and I lost my son, father and very nearly my husband in a short space of time which my GP says the shock and trauma could have played a part. I also have an underactive thyroid...again my GP says this may be linked.
Now, I am trying really hard to control my BG with diet only but am struggling, even on low portions and am bored silly with it all, I am not stuffing my face with rubbish.
For goodness sake show some empathy.

Chrissie

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
For the information of members who answered posts by veggienft. The posts here have been deleted.
The member has been banned permanently for posting offensive comments despite 2 warnings by the Moderators.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
TP

We were fully aware of our friend for some time. We have to wait for the rules to be broken.
If we were to ban everybody just on suspicion....there wouldn't be many members left !
Thank you...... :D

tezza

could i just say a big thankyou to you all ,i nearly did not come back to this site but reading all the coments im glad i did ,happy new year everyone :)

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Thanks. Tezza - Happy & healthy NY to you & all :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
tezza said:
could i just say a big thankyou to you all ,i nearly did not come back to this site but reading all the coments im glad i did ,happy new year everyone :)

Hi Tezza.

We here in the Moderating Team are so glad that you stuck with us. We do know that some of the comments made by the now banned member were infuriating and very offensive. We as Moderator's have to stick within our own forum rules at all times. a very Happy and Healthy New Year to you from all of us here at Diabetes.co.uk

If Anyone has a problem that needs dealing with please pm myself or the Senior Moderator immediately. We can then perhaps explain just what is going on in the background and avoid people turning away from what is after all the best Diabetic website on the net.

A site for ALL Diabetic's.

cugila