Worried about my eyes

oldoaktree

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had moderate problems with some anurisms at the back of my eye which cleared up last year, but another was itentified at my last diabetic eye screening consultation lat month. I went for my normal eye appointment at my opticians, and they had a quick look around at the back of my eye finding the anurism quite quickly even without dialating the pupils.

I would imagine any optician with modern equipment will be able to do this, and I would hope they could see you quicker than a GP's referal to an eye clinic.

I guess what you need is a quick diagnosis, so perhaps cast you net a long distance? Also, you might find that your problems should get you raised up the waiting list if the optician understands the concerns.

Hope you get sorted out. Let us know what it was too.

maverickuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found this post to be a very interesting to read. I got my sugar down to normal within 3 months from 11, through a combination of diet changes, exercise and 1 X 1000mg + 1 X 500mg Met per day. I have lost a lot of weight, feel great and my skin is also much better. My doctor was very impressed by my progress and amazed that I tested every day.

I test every day to understand exactly what foods affect me and what do not. For example, I now know that rice and buckwheat affect me, but a small portion of new potatoes, some fried whole wheat pasta, or some chick peas, black eyed peas, or yellow peas, have no effect.

Now down to 2 X 500mg per day and BS is now normal and going down. My BP is also now nearly normal and my medication is the absolute minimum. I expect to be off BP medication very soon.

Also hope to be off Met very soon. Last HbA1C is 0.6% away from normal and expecting even better on next one test, which is now due.

However, I have noticed that my long distance sight is slightly blurred at night when driving, particularly with headlights in the distance. I can see everything clearly at normal distances.

Thank goodness my reading and computer vision is normal with glasses. Not sure if the blurring is caused by blepharitis, a harmless condition, which I also treat daily.

However the good news is that the new reading glasses that Specsavers said I needed when I tested last year in August 2014, have yet to be worn, as I don't need them. I feel that my vision for reading and computer work has improved. I think the same will happen with the night time distance blurring as my eyes get used to the normalisation of BS.

Reactions: 2 people

Ebony2102

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had retinopathy damage and recently had to have laser treatment. According to my consultant, the retinopathy should not affect your sight unless the damage is too close to your pupil, I Am insulin resistant so also taking Metformin, but I can not control my diabetes, but for someone as badly controlled as me and who had it for the years I have it could of been a lot worse. I am now seeing many on going problems due to my diabetes, that's why I've recently joined this, to communicate with people who understand :)

Allana88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Iv been type 1 diabetic for 20 years now and my eye screening always showed small bleeds, this went on for years before they started laser treatments. I missed two screening apointments( i really didnt care about diabetes) and i woke up with clear vision but lots of black dots floating in the eyes! I went to hospital and was sent for two operations on both eyes. I am now registered blind, altho can see a little with a powerful magnifying glass. I use to get blurred vision whenever my bloods were high but it would return to normal once blood sugar lowered. Think you should be ok unless you start to see black dots. Please make sure you keep getting your eyes screened cause it will prevent a lot of heartache.

I wish i had tried harder with my control before i lost my sight, and i would urge every diabetic to go get their eyes checked whenever they are even just a little concerned.

All the best

Reactions: 2 people

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Iv been type 1 diabetic for 20 years now and my eye screening always showed small bleeds, this went on for years before they started laser treatments. I missed two screening apointments( i really didnt care about diabetes) and i woke up with clear vision but lots of black dots floating in the eyes! I went to hospital and was sent for two operations on both eyes. I am now registered blind, altho can see a little with a powerful magnifying glass. I use to get blurred vision whenever my bloods were high but it would return to normal once blood sugar lowered. Think you should be ok unless you start to see black dots. Please make sure you keep getting your eyes screened cause it will prevent a lot of heartache.

I wish i had tried harder with my control before i lost my sight, and i would urge every diabetic to go get their eyes checked whenever they are even just a little concerned.

All the best
How tragic for you. It's okay saying 'keep your hospital appointments' but it's the other way around for me. I had 6 monthly appointments at the hospital ... until December 2014. I'm STILL waiting for my next appointment and have been diagnosed with Type 2 in the meantime ( January this year) I've written to the hospital to ask if I've been missed off their appointment list since it's now 16 months since I went, but have had no reply. I have glaucoma, and first nerve damage signs to my Opticx nerve in one eye so this is incredibly worrying :(

scouse13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning everybody.
First time here.
Thought I would share my eye experiences.
I've been T2 for 15 plus years and had glaucoma probs for abiut 10 years.
30 months ago the glaucoma started galloping in left eye, and I had surgery 'a trap'.left eye settled. Then right eye takes a turn. First a Cat op then 'a pipe and valve'. At this time I experienced a number of hypo's. Result bleeds back of right eye... 5 injections a month apart the eye is much improve now 3 more 2 months apart. Now I have a date for Cat op left eye.
Over all life is not bad, can not drive and the Kinfle is getting closer to my nose.
All in all treatment at Inverclyde Royal hosp Eye Clinic has been MAGIC.
K.

Amethyst8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
How tragic for you. It's okay saying 'keep your hospital appointments' but it's the other way around for me. I had 6 monthly appointments at the hospital ... until December 2014. I'm STILL waiting for my next appointment and have been diagnosed with Type 2 in the meantime ( January this year) I've written to the hospital to ask if I've been missed off their appointment list since it's now 16 months since I went, but have had no reply. I have glaucoma, and first nerve damage signs to my Opticx nerve in one eye so this is incredibly worrying :(
Hi, if you didn't hear from the hospital better go & see your GP to contact them as this is very urgent.Once you get your first appointment sorted do not miss unless you are sick & get a new appointment from them.GoodWishes for the future

Dark Horse

It sounds like you have been "lost to follow-up". Try phoning the hospital and ask to speak to the eye clinic - they should be able find out what has happened and hopefully make you an appointment. If you have no joy, go back to your GP and ask them to re-refer you.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you for the replies Amethyst 8 and Dark Horse, but it wasn't my GP who refered me to the hospital. It was my Optician.
I will probably try writing to the hospital a second time. I don't like phones ... I find them too stressful.

Dark Horse

Thank you for the replies Amethyst 8 and Dark Horse, but it wasn't my GP who refered me to the hospital. It was my Optician.
I will probably try writing to the hospital a second time. I don't like phones ... I find them too stressful.
If doesn't matter if it was your optician who referred you, your GP will be able to re-refer you. (In fact, opticians don't generally refer directly, they usually write to your GP asking them to refer you.)

As you were attending ophthalmology, the GP should have been receiving hospital feedback letters which go on your file. If they haven't received a letter discharging you from hospital care and you haven't been seen since 2014, the GP will likely refer you back to hospital.

If you don't like making phonecalls, go in to see your GP and ask them why you have't been seen in hospital since 2014 - they will sort it out.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
If doesn't matter if it was your optician who referred you, your GP will be able to re-refer you. (In fact, opticians don't generally refer directly, they usually write to your GP asking them to refer you.)

As you were attending ophthalmology, the GP should have been receiving hospital feedback letters which go on your file. If they haven't received a letter discharging you from hospital care and you haven't been seen since 2014, the GP will likely refer you back to hospital.

If you don't like making phonecalls, go in to see your GP and ask them why you have't been seen in hospital since 2014 - they will sort it out.
Yes I will do that, and thank you. I never like to cause a fuss but it does concern me.

Reactions: 3 people

Amethyst8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Take heart you are not making a fuss & you show concern for your health,this is negligent on their part,I hope you succeed in the end. GP is there to re-refer you back to the hospital, Wish you all the best in the future!!