Scared and Disheartened

Lovinlife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Diagnosed type 1 almost 3 years ago... Big shock but finally came to terms with it and have worked so hard to have excellent control last hba1c s ranging from 36 to 42.

I also recently had my first child and obstetrician congratulated me on how well I did as baby was a normal weight with no hypoglycemia or breathing difficulties and no birth defects or miscarriages! So relieved and overjoyed and really felt proud of my hard work but that same day I got a letter saying that my retina scan showed background retinopathy . I am devastated... Just as I had come to terms with diabetes and stopped obsessing over complications this happens now I feel like I'm doomed to become blind and wont be able to see my little baby grow up...I was just told to come back in one year so I havent discussed it with any doctor except doctor google and we all know what happens then! Just wondering if anyone else here has background retinopathy and if it can be reversed just looking for some stories to give me hope really!!

Reactions: 2 people

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Just read your message and felt immediately compelled to reply. Background retinopathy is almost ubiquitous amongst T1s. Admittedly you seem to have developed it earlier than many but at this stage there is no need to worry.
I have been T1 for 33 years and have had background retinopathy for over 10 or 12 of those.
It has in no way affected my eyesight and as long as you maintain good control it is sometimes possible to reverse it or at least stop it deteriorating.
This doesn't mean you can ignore it as it is a warning sign but please don't worry. Your Hba1cs are great so just keep up the good work.
Hopefully some other people will come along soon and reinforce this. Take care.

Reactions: 4 people

Dark Horse

Pregnancy does tend to be associated with a worsening of retinopathy but your control is excellent and if you keep it that way, there is a good chance your background retinopathy will not progress and may even improve. Background retinopathy is not sight-threatening but make sure you attend your annual screening so if there are any changes they are picked up early.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yep. I had background retinopathy pre pump. Got rid of it on a pump and was all clear for 6 years.
This year it has come back. Just one small minute blob that initially when shown it by my optomerist I didn't see. Like you I was disappointed as my hba1c's have been low. I do wonder though if any of my cancer treatment started this one blob occuring with all the drugs I've been on. I haven't had masssive swings on a constant and in the majority 99% of my readings have been under 8.0.
My optomerist is brilliant and sits down and shows the pictures to you and explains them so I have confidence that between him and I, hopefully we can keep it at bay or reverse it again...it maybe that something more hormonal may have triggered it. It is definitely reversible....

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Diagnosed type 1 almost 3 years ago... Big shock but finally came to terms with it and have worked so hard to have excellent control last hba1c s ranging from 36 to 42.

I also recently had my first child and obstetrician congratulated me on how well I did as baby was a normal weight with no hypoglycemia or breathing difficulties and no birth defects or miscarriages! So relieved and overjoyed and really felt proud of my hard work but that same day I got a letter saying that my retina scan showed background retinopathy . I am devastated... Just as I had come to terms with diabetes and stopped obsessing over complications this happens now I feel like I'm doomed to become blind and wont be able to see my little baby grow up...I was just told to come back in one year so I havent discussed it with any doctor except doctor google and we all know what happens then! Just wondering if anyone else here has background retinopathy and if it can be reversed just looking for some stories to give me hope really!!

Don't panic. Tiny changes are common during pregnancy. When I had my post-delivery eye screen, I had a lovely guy who explained that he hardly ever sees a post-delivery screen without some minor changes. He also reassured me that they can go away.

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just as I had come to terms with diabetes and stopped obsessing over complications this happens now I feel like I'm doomed to become blind and wont be able to see my little baby grow up

No your not doomed to go blind, now that these changes have been picked up they will monitor your eyes closely from here-on and if any treatment is needed they will do this at the earliest opportunity.

Take a look at the following, it has a wealth of information and advice on diabetes retinopathy which you should find useful (just be careful what you read about on Google):

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/back_diabetic_retinopathy.html

btw congratulations on the birth of your child and welcome to the forum :)

Reactions: 2 people

Lovinlife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks so much for all of your replies they have really helped cz I dont really have anyone else to talk to cz non diabetics don't get this stuff!

When I was pregnant I was so obsessive about not passing high sugars onto the baby that I ended up having a lot of hypos... Is it true they can cause retinopathy? Never knew that at the time

DizzyChick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I was diagnosed type 2 in January 2015 and on my first eye screening was told I have background retinopathy. I have my 2nd next week so will see what the results say. I've not noticed any difference in my eye sight since before I was diagnosed.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Background retinopathy will not be noticeable.. Thats why its so important to get eyes checked annually.

Lovinlife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
thanks everyone for all the replys they have put my mind at ease and I will continue to work hard to keep sugars at bay! When I was pregnant I was so worried about high sugars affecting the baby so I became obessed with my control which meant I had a lot of hypos but only thinking now maybe these hypos affected my eyes what do yee think?

Lovinlife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed type 2 in January 2015 and on my first eye screening was told I have background retinopathy. I have my 2nd next week so will see what the results say. I've not noticed any difference in my eye sight since before I was diagnosed.
Fingers crossed for you that it has cleared up! Let me know how you get on!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
When I was pregnant I was so obsessive about not passing high sugars onto the baby that I ended up having a lot of hypos... Is it true they can cause retinopathy? Never knew that at the time

In people who already have diabetic retinopathy the advice is to make improvements in diabetes control slowly as sudden changes can make the retinopathy worse, but as DR wasn't mentioned to you before your pregnancy I'm not to sure if the same would be applicable to you @Lovinlife

If you do get to see a Ophthalmologist you could ask them this or your Endo may know the answer, but try not to worry and see how your follow-up appointment goes.