Should I take it?

Gracicles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I'm T2 and started metformin last week at 500mg after breakfast. I am meant to increase it to after breakfast and after lunch tomorrow and then again next week to one after tea as well, but I've been following a low carb diet for a week too and my blood sugars have only been a little high after breakfast (I suspect because it usually cereal and too high in carbs) the rest of the time they have been perfect. My question is do I really need to increase the Met when my sugars are good? I don't want to end up having terrible lows. Would 500mg a day be enough to actually do anything?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you need to discuss this with your doctor. None of us here can answer your question as we aren't medically qualified. The decision is between you and your doctor/nurse.
Sorry. :(

Donald2000

I agree with the comment above. No-one except your GP or diabetic nurse has any real authority to tell you or not to tell you about medication. If it has been prescribed for you then it will help to keep your blood glucose in check; the alternatives to having out of control bg are eventually very extreme; that's why Metformin and other drugs are prescribed.

Gracicles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the comment above. No-one except your GP or diabetic nurse has any real authority to tell you or not to tell you about medication. If it has been prescribed for you then it will help to keep your blood glucose in check; the alternatives to having out of control bg are eventually very extreme; that's why Metformin and other drugs are prescribed.
Thank you, I'm managing to keep my sugars low by eating very few carbs.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You have been prescribed a course of treatment.
You need to consult with your GP, and he needs to be aware of what you are deciding, if you do indeed decide to deviate from his prescription, otherwise how can he effectively treat you?

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Gracicles - Metformin lowers the amount of sugar created by the Liver and decreases the amount of sugar absorbed by the intestines. It may also help Type 2 Diabetic's lose weight as it lowers appetite. :)