Upset with doctors appointment

amzie

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
So after having a blood test and found hba1c 53
I went to see my doctor for his advice and kind of peace of mind that I can beat this and bring my levels down if I maintain a healthy lifestyle

Instead soon as I get in he says right here some metformin take one in morning and one at night and u will be fine

I was like urm but what about diet and exercise which I have upped since last week and he says yes of course stop eating sweet things and u will be fine

I was in shock and then I had to quarrel with him to get some test strips it was like I was having an argument with my dad lol
In end he prescribed them

sincerely disappointed with the gp
I didn't even get to tell him about some symptoms and other things
He then went on to say that I will be diabetic forever and one day exercise and healthy eating won't work?

Is this the case ?

Reactions: 2 people

mizloco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome firstly. I had a similar experience with my GP and diabetes nurse. I luckily found this forum as you have and thankfully have been given much better information and advice. I brought the book Reverse your Diabetes by Dr David Cavan and have been reading that. I have chosen to do the Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) diet and am learning about that at the moment, only found out a month ago. Ask lots of questions and you will get loads of support. Good luck on your journey.

Reactions: 14 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

On the bright side, congratulations on getting a prescription for test strips! You can do a lot to manage your condition and improve your health without the help of your GP so try to put this experience behind you. Onwards and upwards. Hang around here and you will learn a lot.

Reactions: 8 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @amzie and welcome to the forum. I will tag @daisy1 who will provide you with some excellent information. Have a look at the low carb threads of the forum as they are full of information and excellent ideas. You actually did very well to get test strips out of your Gp. I think there are others with experience who will answer the last part of your post.

Reactions: 9 people

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a very interesting conversation with my GP today because she wants to 'undiagnose' my Type 2 diabetes. My HbA1c has come down from 83 to 29 over the last couple of years, my symptoms have mostly disappeared, even my eyesight has improved. Progression is the norm but not a certain fact, learn about low carb and ask lots of questions here - you CAN get this under control :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The best thing i can think of saying, after an appt like that, is

Well done for standing up to him!
And
Have a read of this website: wwwbloodsugar101.com
It is written by a T2 journalist who has looked at the evidence, and read the studies, and has got to grips with it. And no, T 2 isn't automatically a one way street to doom and gloom. And the website gives you the knowledge and encouragement to deal with it all.
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 12 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. If your T2 is predominately due to insulin resistance from a high BMI, then the right diet and possibly Metformin can keep it at bay possibly for many years. It progresses due to the NHS have 'loads of carbs advice' or because some T2s are actually Late onset T1s which will progress regardless.

Reactions: 10 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Welcome to the forum. Your experience is quite typical. For some unknown reason health care professionals generally don't seem to have much understanding of type 2 diabetes.

I found the following web site quite useful:

www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

If you read through the info on it you'll know more than your doctor does about type 2 diabetes.

Reactions: 8 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hello and welcome to the forums...I too was told not to eat sweat things and to have four slices of wholemeal bread daily, and to eat cerial first thing in a morning.... nothing about carbs I never knew carbs caused levels to rise untill I found this site...thankyou all for educating me :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@amzie

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went to see my doctor for his advice and kind of peace of mind that I can beat this and bring my levels down if I maintain a healthy lifestyle

Instead soon as I get in he says right here some metformin take one in morning and one at night and u will be fine

I was like urm but what about diet and exercise which I have upped since last week and he says yes of course stop eating sweet things and u will be fine

I was in shock and then I had to quarrel with him to get some test strips it was like I was having an argument with my dad lol

He then went on to say that I will be diabetic forever and one day exercise and healthy eating won't work?

Is this the case ?

This appears to be the kind of response a lot of us get and mirrors my own experience. It's another kick in the teeth - as if the diagnosis isn't bad enough.

Reactions: 5 people

amzie

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Just hallelujah for this forum feel so welcomed and also good practical advice and feeling positive for the future knowing I can beat this
Iv been following a lchf diet so far so see what happens

Reactions: 7 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
My last retinopathy screening was a total surprise. The Ophthalmologist told me to hurry to my GP in order to get my blood sugars down. Apparently I've developed lesions in both eyes that he felt were definitely caused by poor control, and could destroy my eyesight. I'm sure he's right, but he didn't know that I'd seen my GP a couple of days before who told me my HbA1c was 'fine'. He always says that, and since he's reluctant to discuss numbers, I let it go and believe him. I'm sure he's right.
Anyway I got an early appointment to see him (or a colleague of his in fact) at my GP surgery. I really wish I hadn't.
This other GP in the practice who I saw was very hostile, and couldn't give me any idea of prognosis, except to say how sorry he was for me to have such a terrible disease which would shorten my life.
Hmm. And make me loose my sight too. I know T2 could be progressive, I didn't realise that it would pull the carpet from under me.
Not being able to understand the hostility, (Could the Ophthalmologist's letter have upset him?) and having no idea why the ophthalmologist and my GP were telling me such different things I simply left the surgery, tail between my legs.
I now have an up-coming meeting with a diabetologist at the hospital in the hope that she or he can perhaps explain the situation and offer a prognosis for my eyesight. I asked the practice nurse to ask for the hospital appointment for me because I was too intimidated to ask either of the doctors myself. She let me know that my HbA1c last time was 4.9, and is usually lower than that.
I wish I could be more like Amzie, but some of us are just not made of that sort of metal.

wood678

My last retinopathy screening was a total surprise. The Ophthalmologist told me to hurry to my GP in order to get my blood sugars down. Apparently I've developed lesions in both eyes that he felt were definitely caused by poor control, and could destroy my eyesight. I'm sure he's right, but he didn't know that I'd seen my GP a couple of days before who told me my HbA1c was 'fine'. He always says that, and since he's reluctant to discuss numbers, I let it go and believe him. I'm sure he's right.
Anyway I got an early appointment to see him (or a colleague of his in fact) at my GP surgery. I really wish I hadn't.
This other GP in the practice who I saw was very hostile, and couldn't give me any idea of prognosis, except to say how sorry he was for me to have such a terrible disease which would shorten my life.
Hmm. And make me loose my sight too. I know T2 could be progressive, I didn't realise that it would pull the carpet from under me.
Not being able to understand the hostility, (Could the Ophthalmologist's letter have upset him?) and having no idea why the ophthalmologist and my GP were telling me such different things I simply left the surgery, tail between my legs.
I now have an up-coming meeting with a diabetologist at the hospital in the hope that she or he can perhaps explain the situation and offer a prognosis for my eyesight. I asked the practice nurse to ask for the hospital appointment for me because I was too intimidated to ask either of the doctors myself. She let me know that my HbA1c last time was 4.9, and is usually lower than that.
I wish I could be more like Amzie, but some of us are just not made of that sort of metal.
I'd maybe check with the ophthalmologist as having a hba1c of 4.9 and usually less is within normal range of 4-7

wayneb1

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Is this the case ?

Hi, I've had much the same experience, I was diagnosed about a month ago and am yet to see a diabetic nurse. I'm a hgv driver and am very worried about my licence. I was given a prescription for metformin and basically told nothing.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Is this the case ?

It is the current party line that diabetes is progressive until you are on insulin, have amputations, go blind and then die. In my opinion this sort of advice causes people to give up when there is so much that can be done to arrest the progression if not stop it altogether. I for one have had significant improvement in my results by stopping pills and then changing my diet and doing some exercise. The HCP's do pills only, they don't prescribe food.

To paraphrase Kendrick. He said that in the years he was taking his medical degree he doesn't think they spent more than one hour on nutrition as it was thought to be irrelevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Squire Fulwood were you sitting in on the appointment I had with my Practice Nurse by any chance as this is exactly what she said to me!

Luckily after a few hours of feeling scared, ashamed and convinced I was going to die blind and limbless I did some reading and then came to a "well screw you" approach to her and have never looked back!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Squire Fulwood were you sitting in on the appointment I had with my Practice Nurse by any chance as this is exactly what she said to me!

Luckily after a few hours of feeling scared, ashamed and convinced I was going to die blind and limbless I did some reading and then came to a "well screw you" approach to her and have never looked back!
You have a good attitude. No I was not sitting in on your appointment, I didn't have to since they are mostly all the same.

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
You have a good attitude. No I was not sitting in on your appointment, I didn't have to since they are mostly all the same.
Exercise is not gonna cure you but taking your medication will help also why pester for prescriptions you don't need

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exercise is not gonna cure you but taking your medication will help also why pester for prescriptions you don't need
I think I missed something here. How did we get to pestering for prescriptions (I am unmedicated) from a chat about someone's appointment.