Where's everybody from? And what do you do for work?

belfastbrett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Born in Belfast now live in East Sussex, I am a Quality and Verification Executive, fancy title for a rubbish job...

Reactions: 4 people

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Born in a little village in Hertfordshire but my family moved south when I was about 7. Stints in Canterbury (at Uni), London and Waltham Abbey (a small town on the edge of London, where we bought our first house). Moved back dahn sarf again almost 30 years ago and have lived in the same house in Winchester, ever since.

Spent most of my career in Personnel and now act as a consultant, advising Companies about HR, but also about how to avoid getting into trouble over bribery (long story ... :)).

Reactions: 6 people

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My Dad grew up in Bootle :)

Hello everyone!
I'm born and bred in Birmingham, but had a few years in London/Essex. I work as a Senior Analyst for the Care Quality Commission, and have a background in NHS trusts, but unfortunately I've never been important enough to influence diabetes care!

Hiya what are of Brum you from? I lived in Kings Heath and Kings Norton for 30 years then moved to Swansea, then to Dudley lol.

Reactions: 2 people

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Was he a St George lad or a Salesian lad?
Are those schools? I know he went to Bootle Grammar. I have no idea whereabouts he lived but I'll ask him tonight.
We went to see his old house and meet his schoolfriend once when I was young and his accent came out really strongly - my brother and I thought it was hilarious :) Of course everybody there was laughing at how Brummie he sounded though!

@julie56 I used to live in Elm Park and had a friend in Upminster :)

@wolfie11969 I live on the Erdington/Sutton Coldfield border so the other side of the city. My OH is from Dudley though (Lower Gornal) :)

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We went to see his old house and meet his schoolfriend once when I was young and his accent came out really strongly - my brother and I thought it was hilarious :)

It's funny that, isn't it? Mrs hay-char was born in Norn Iron (Derry) but her parents moved to the UK when she was six and they lived in the West Midlands until she left home at eighteen, since when she has been a comfy Southerner. To me, she sounds like a Midlander but her friends back there all think she talks with a plum in her mouth. When we go back to Ireland, you can just detect a slight Ulster accent creeping back into her speech that you never notice at other times. Our kids think it's hilarious, too :)

DR123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Born and bred in Swansea trained and qualified as a nurse (many moons ago ) worked as manager in nursing home , have two grown up children my son lives with me ,he's a magician! And I call him my boomerang child cause he keeps coming back, my daughter is married with 3 fab kids and I see them lots. I'm now a lady of leisure .

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are those schools? I know he went to Bootle Grammar. I have no idea whereabouts he lived but I'll ask him tonight.
We went to see his old house and meet his schoolfriend once when I was young and his accent came out really strongly - my brother and I thought it was hilarious :) Of course everybody there was laughing at how Brummie he sounded though!

@wolfie11969 I live on the Erdington/Sutton Coldfield border so the other side of the city. My OH is from Dudley though (Lower Gornal) :)
Hi @BeccyB give him my love from one Bootle Buck to another. I was a St Augustines girl myself. I think Bootle Grammer was just before my time!

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Born in Abertillery South Wales, now living a mile away in Cwmtillery, I'm a plasterer ( since 1977 ) 3 children 3 grandchildren, another due late May.

louiisehelen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I live in Nottinghamshire. I work in Customer services, where I've learned the art of biting my tongue.

Reactions: 4 people

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hiya

I know Erdington/Sutton Coldfield quite well. Friends and inlaws live in those areas. And yes Lower Gornal just up the road from us. We live in Wrens Nest so he would probably know that :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol, I wasn't sure if King of the Hill had made its way to the UK or not. I haven't seen a Beavis and Butthead episode in years.

I do live on Texas though. Financial Advisor by profession. Not sure if it's called the same thing in the UK.

Yes indeed.. o_O Tends to be re-run late night on terrestrial broadcast..? "Financial advisors" are the same job title in the UK.

With regards to the OP's original question.
I was brought up in the Georgian city of Bath. Now live in Wiltshire.
Workwise I've done loads of stuff including a kids entertainer in a holiday camp, film extra, & once had my own window cleaning business... Lol, when I think of the money I earnt doing windows in the late 80s? I kind of wish I stuck at it now!?
I've done stuff I care not to mention too. But it's always been a good laugh along the way & I've worked with some great people. But I always focus on the music...
I play in 3 bands. (One of which has a T1 bass player too.) The music has taken me all across Europe over a 16 year period in the past & I published 3 records it's been fun while it lasted.! :p

mizloco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Happily living in a village in Northamptonshire. Work as a Criminal Justice Drug & Alcohol Worker and I am also a qualified Psychotherapist in my spare time.

NurseDee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My name is Dee and i live in the West of Scotland. I am a Registered Nurse and work for NHS Lothian

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've lived in London all my life and I'm retired now. I worked in different jobs in offices and factories, but for Royal Mail for the last 32 years.

Railman74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Ignorance of gp's about sufferings of diabetics
I'm Paul born in Greenwich London but now live east Sussex I'm railwayman which having diabetes can make a tad frustrating due to shifts