Type 1 and Metformin

Katie_Smurf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

My DSN (not my normal one) has suggested I be put on Metaformin and tbh I'm VERY unsure. I have very poor control (mainly because of laziness and MH problems) and I have started getting some complications.

I believe the main reason is believing I have some resistance to my insulin - I am usually high in the morning (I take Levemir 31 in AM and 34 in PM) but I am wondering whether it's because of my poor control and snacking late at night (midnight-ish).

Basically, are there any other type 1's who are taking it who can share their experiences? As ever I have read horror stories and I'm getting REALLY anxious about it and it's not even fully decided yet.

#endramble

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Metformin is said to help with insulin resistance in type 1's Katie, there are members on the forum who take it with some success, hopefully they'll reply to your thread soon. Good luck.

superskye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used it for a while, no major problems and it helped a bunch with post-meal highs. It won't replace poor habits otherwise (eating without injecting/bolusing), but it made a good difference for me. There are two varieties of metformin, the "regular" version (take 2-4 times a day) and the Extended Release (once a day version), which most people seem to fair a little better with. Starting with the full dose is a deal-breaker as it can cause pretty uncomfortable gastro problems if nto gradually introduced, so start slow (1/4 dose for a week, then 1/2 dose, then 3/4... and work your way up to a full dose over the course of a couple weeks) even if your DSN doesn't suggest it. Give it a month at full strength to see if works, and then decide from there if its worth keeping up with!

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take 4 tablets of the regular release each day. If I forget a dose, I get very high sugars. It really helps me lower my BGs and insulin requirments. It also keeps my BG more stable, without them my BGs are all over the place. I now manage side-effect very well - they are non-existant. Like others have suggested, start on a low dose and build it up slowly, it will reduce the unpleasent stomach side-effects. The extended release are thought to have less side effects. ALWAYS take with a full stomach. I find that even if I take them at the start of a meal, I can be uncomfortable. So always towards the end of a meal.
Metformin is a well tested drug with a long safety record. So safe that in Scotland they are trialing metaformin for children of type 1s who have an elevated risk of type 1 development. In addition it has been shown to reduce the risk of cardiovascular problems and help those with insulin resistance maintain or reduce body weight......so all good stuff.
I would advise you give it a go, if you are unlucky and cannot tolerate it. You can stop. Best of luck