SWINE FLU THREAD

mamie

swine flu vaccine side effects? last for a day only?

I had both seasonal flu jab and pneumonia vaccine done on the same day last month. Both arms sored for a few days and it's ok.
Last Thursday morning I got the swine flu vaccine, only a bit tired from noon time. I got no marks on my arm and it's not sore. But I got headache and felt chill in the evening. On Friday morning I woke up with very very sore arm and sore throat. Very surprised to see a lump grew overnight on the same area I got the swine flu jab. It's the same size as a half golf ball and very very sore. I was perfectly fine before the Thursday swine flu jab. But from Firday morning, I started coughing and sneezing, my body is very tired and I was thirsty. Are these all swine flu vaccine side effects, if yes, luckily I got most ! And after the whole weekend, today is Tuesday, my front chest hurt when I cough. I might call the surgery today, but I wonder what thing the doctor will give me. Tamiflu to treat my swine flu vaccine side effects? Or I just wait a few more days and hope all these side effects will go soon.

Katharine

The tamiflu needs to be given within 48 hours of the onset of symptoms so I think you are a bit late for it.

The swine flu vaccine is a killed vaccine so in theory your symptoms are not due to swine flu. You are certainly not the first person to report viral symptoms after this jag however.

You sound like you have had a really horrible time of it.

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
jenrose said:
I had the swine flu vaccination on Thursday and apart from my arm feeling as though it was bruised and a stiff shoulder I have been ok.

I had mine done last Saturday and like Jenrose have a bruised feeling n my arm and it has been a bit red too. Like a reaction to a bite. No other symptoms luckily.

-Gordon-

Re: swine flu vaccine side effects? last for a day only?

mamie said:
I had both seasonal flu jab and pneumonia vaccine done on the same day last month. Both arms sored for a few days and it's ok.
Last Thursday morning I got the swine flu vaccine, only a bit tired from noon time. I got no marks on my arm and it's not sore. But I got headache and felt chill in the evening. On Friday morning I woke up with very very sore arm and sore throat. Very surprised to see a lump grew overnight on the same area I got the swine flu jab. It's the same size as a half golf ball and very very sore. I was perfectly fine before the Thursday swine flu jab. But from Firday morning, I started coughing and sneezing, my body is very tired and I was thirsty. Are these all swine flu vaccine side effects, if yes, luckily I got most ! And after the whole weekend, today is Tuesday, my front chest hurt when I cough. I might call the surgery today, but I wonder what thing the doctor will give me. Tamiflu to treat my swine flu vaccine side effects? Or I just wait a few more days and hope all these side effects will go soon.

Hi Mamie,
Hope you are feeling better

The lump on the arm is quite normal, I think, for a major injection like this. I get it from my seasonal flu jab and it lasts a few days. The Swine flu one lasted for a few weeks though. Thankfully the pain subsided much quicker unless you touched or bumped the injection site !

I've had a few other side effects which I dont know whether are Swine Flu Jab related or coincidental. I had the flu jab about a month or so ago.

1. My Byetta treatment has stopped working - hunger, weight gain and high Blood sugars
2. Sugars have been well controlled 7-7.5 pre byetta, then 5-6 on byetta. Since flu jab (coincidence?) they have steadilly increased each week (!) 7-8-9-10-11-12. Awaiting HBA1c reslt this week.
3. I get chilled very easily, I get hot face fushes, I have a runny nose, I have bouts of sneezing - it feels like the flu starting - but - and heres the good bit - they only last 5-15 minutes then I'm fine again.
4. What I have noticed much more is arm and leg pains I never had before, but they just come and go quikly as well. But I have a lot of joint aches I never had before - knees elbows wrists, lower back and neck. Only squealed with the pain a couple of times, its doesnt seem seious enough to have time off work, or bother the doctor, so I'll mention it at the next visit if it persists.
5. People all around me at work have been off work with heavy colds etc, but I've been fine !

Stay safe
Gordon

ceejay

Swine flu jab and blood sugars

Bit of a speculative question. I've had higher than normal blood sugar for the last couple of days (hovering around 10 when normal is usually 4-8)and it's taken more insulin than normal to get them down.

I had been thinking it was maybe just diabetes being unpredictable again (it happens sometimes), but that usually happens around 'that time of the month' and that's not the issue this time. Then occurred to me I had my swine flu jab on Wednesday morning and it's pretty much since then that my sugars have gone doolally.

It might be coincidence, but has anyone else who's had the jab found that it's made them a bit insulin resistant? I feel fine otherwise (other than a sore arm).

Cheers all (and has anyone else got proper snow??) :)

CJ

deeby

Re: Swine flu jab and blood sugars

Exactly the same thing happened tome. Thought it was a coincidence at the time ........

Deeby

ceejay

Re: Swine flu jab and blood sugars

Cheers Deeby - good to know I'm not alone. How long did it take to go back to normal? Not looking forward to the crashing low when my body decides it's got over being insulin resistant...

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had my swine flu vaccine on Wednesday, felt a bit achy that night other wise I feel ok, I have to have another one in 3 weeks time, when you have a low immune system they recommend another one to make sure.

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
I've got my swine flu jab on 18th January. At least now I know what to look out for. I've booked the next day off work just in case of any symptoms. Thanks doe the reassurances folks. :wink:

suffolkboi61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marzipan ewwwwwwwwww
Had mine done in November and no side affects, all i had was an itchy arm for a day or too where they stuck the needle in.

shirleymarye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Sport !
I had my jab done ages ago,October or November time,my arm felt bruised for a few days but other than that I felt fine. I have heard of other people saying the same thing about it.

shakeyjake66

Just thought i should point out that there are two types of Swine flu jab available in the UK. One is a single dose bottle which needs no preservative, but the other, in a multi dose bottle contains Thimerosal which is a mercury based preservative.

Thimerosal was removed from flu vaccinations many years ago in the UK due concerns over it's safety, but now the government have seen fit to give it to us without actually telling us it contains Mercury.

Pregnant mothers and children aren't allowed to have mercury based dental fillings but the government seem to think it's fine to give this vaccine to anyone and everyone. If Thimerosal is safe, why was it removed from the vaccine yeras ago, and if it's not safe, why are we being advised to take it even if pregnant, breastfeeding or under 5 years old, with no warnings?

Ask your doctor/nurse which type of jab you're offered. Where I am, the safer, non mercury, one isn't available (South Wales) so, having had a lot of previous health problems due to mercury toxicity I decided not to have it. Think carefully and get all the information before having this vaccination.

Angelicus

Dislikes
People who like the sound of their own voice and think they know better than everyone else.
I always have the normal Flu Vaccination for the last 15years. I was debating with myself about the SwineFlu and after a chat with my GP, I decided to have it.
Couple days later, I was showing symptoms - shivering mostly, feeling unwell, tired, listless. My blood sugar was through the roof and I was showing signs of ketones. I called the Dr out, but they sent someone I had never seen before. He seemed uninterested in my diabetes and didn't even ask about my blood sugars. He simply didn't want to know because I didn't have a temperature, despite me telling him I don't get one when I'm sick as a general rule. This was around midday he came, and kept saying if I got any worse to call the out of hrs Dr. He didn't seem to get it that I could go downhill in a matter of an hour.
Unhappy, I called my diabetes team, explained the situation and was told that since I wasn't eating and my ketones were getting a bit too high, I needed to go to A+E, so off I went... and sat in the waiting room for over 2 hrs. Finally I got to see a Dr, gave loads of blood samples and was told I didn't have the virus, just the symptoms. Got my BM on track and was sent home the next day.

Swine flu itself - I don't get this crazed hype about it. The only reason people are up in arms is because it's more infectious. So what? More people die of normal flu.

So, as previously said, prevention is key. Wash your hands, use alcogel, use a tissue - bin it instead of stuffing it in your pocket / handbag. Use antibacterial spray to clean surfaces. Look after yourself, keep your blood sugar stable and don't be afraid to call for help and advice from either NHS direct, or your local diabetes team.

himum

Hi, I had my swine flu jab a week bofore xmas , there is no swelling in the arm but it is still painful to lift and move and feels bruised under the skin. Initially I also had numbness in the arm and tingeling in my fingers for a few days. How long before it heals properly?? :?: :?

Jim H

I will probably have it when I next have a 6 monthly blood test. I'm sure I will get a sore arm because the words blood and stone describe how to get blood out of me! :roll:

Just a daft Question, Am I right in saying the normal (seasonal) flu jab is done every year, so is this swine flue jab the same or is it a one off? :?:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
The Swine Flu injection is totally different from the normal Flu jab.

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
I had my swine flu jab last week and my arm is still painful. I ached all over for 6 days and it has just started to ease off. It's as though my arm is badly bruised under the skin as there isn't any bruising on the skin. In fact I didn't even feel it when the nurse injected me.

tig32

My son had the swine and seasonal flu jab and was diagnosed type 1 diabetic within 3 weeks. That was about 5 weeks ago now. He is 11. needless to say it was a huge blow.

Jim H

Last week I booked for my blood test and the Swine Flue Vaccine for Wednesday at my local surgery.

It's at a good time, ten past ten on 10th February 2010. 8)