Totally fed up!

cherrypie666

Dislikes
Liars and people who don't know anything about diabetes but pretend they know everything.
Hi, i was diagnosed type 2 in feb 2006 after going to the docs numerous times with tiredness, and dry mouth, etc. I have three daughters and when i was pregnant with mo oldest, fourteen years ago, i was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I then had gd with my two other daughters. Now the doc is saying i might have been diabetic since my oldest was born. When she was born, i was eighteen, does that mean i could be a type one or am i definitely type two?
I was prescribed metformin 500mg three times a day in 2006, which did not improve my control, then i was put on metformin 850mg, whic did nothing. I was put on insulin three weeks ago, levemir, which at the moment i take 14 units at tea time. I still take my metformin and test my sugars very reguarly. My bg is usually about 8-9 on a morning, but goes to sixteen seventeen after meals, than usually stays around eleven rest of day, and around fourteen fifteen after other meals, the insulin at moment does not seem to be controlling anything and the doc is increasing my insuling by two units a week. My last hba1c was 7.7. When i was diagnosed it was 6.7, but has slowly began to rise. I have had my eyes photographed and was told i have diabetic retinopathy in my left eye and have also got neuropathy in my legs. I am so tired all the time and feel so so old, i'm only thirty two!!
AT this stage it's hard to see things getting better, i hurt when i walk, i only hope i can get some control, i still feel in denial about all of this. My doc said that to start having complications like i have, i must have been diabetic for some time, i only wish i knew. Sorry for the long post, i have just found this site and think it is great, to read about other diabetics and the way we have to deal with lives.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya cherry pie,
sorry your feeling so down,at the moment im the same,youve only been on insulin 3 wks so give it time and your dr should get it right,read the other threads on here about carbs,you may be eating too much of the wrong stuff,i doubt u was type 1 at 18 as type 1 comes on quickly and you get ill fairly swiftly so u couldnt have lasted yrs as a type 1 with no meds,your problems you have may mean u have had type 2 for a lot of yrs and not known,have agood look around the forum as i havent been here long but not knowing any other diabetics in my area i have found this site a wealth of knowledge ,ive learnt so much and it does help to know u are not alone,plz try and be positive and ask as many questions as u can on ere,someone will help...
take care
amanda

Katharine

Hi Cherrypie,

I agree with Sarah, you are rather underdone with insulin at present.

You do indeed need meal insulins. Novorapid would be a good choice. If you get the demi -pen it will give you the advantage of half unit doses.

Levemir usually works best as a twice a day shot. With your am bs around 8 you sound like you need more of it too.

There is a course at http://www.dsolve.com that can help you get the best from your insulin and eating regimen.

It can get you down to have complications so early in life but the good news is that if you can normalise your blood sugars some of these are reversible.

AmberAnn

Hi Cherry pie...I do hope this site can help and you get some good advice
I wish I can be more positive.. I'm more than twice your age and have recently been diagnosed with T2 and after the initial 'why me' feeling I have now accepted it....would I if younger I don't know..
Please take care, do as the docs recommend and ask and keep asking if things aren't working out.
Oh by the way welcome to the site...

cherrypie666

Dislikes
Liars and people who don't know anything about diabetes but pretend they know everything.
hi, thankyou for all the lovely replies. This really is a good place to come to!!! Well i went back to my doc this morning and they have upped my insulin by four units to eighteen units now. I really hope this starts some improvememt. My doc seems to think that Levemir will control my sugars when i get to a proper dosage, but she wants to up it gradually. I just feel so out of it, and in some ways in denial, i really don't know what to eat and not eat yet, i have bought some books and am working my way through them. I keep asking myself is it my fault i have diabetes? Did i get it because i was over weight? Loads of questions like these mill through my mind..... When i was pregnant with my first daughter, fourteen years ago, i got a fungal nail infection, then a couple of weeks later developed pre eclamsia which has damaged my eyes. My daughter was induced five weeks early for my health, because i developed gestational diabetes and had ketones and protein and sugar in my urine. The awful thing is, i was never checked after i delivered my duaghter as to whether my diabetes had gone away, this is what has made me angry, and i often wonder if i had known sooner, would i not have the complications i have now? Sorry for the really large vent, but i feel i can blurt it all out here!!!!
I just feel really unwell at the minute, i have high blood pressure and am trying to lower my cholesterol which i have managed to get down to five. I just feel total agony when i walk, i get aching and pain down my legs almost like a dragging feeling.
Anyway, i think i have moaned enough!!!! Thankyou for all the replies and thank god for this site, blessings to everyone

twolumps

Dislikes
Confusion
Hi cherrypie666,

You said in your post that you think you've moaned enough, or words to that effect. I don't think you should apologize. I noticed my problem was a fear of bothering people and becoming tedious with the constant bleating. My personal theory is that this site fills the need of having someone to bleat at. I know my family can only take so much and I'm sure even the most tolerant and sainted person has a switch off point.

You moan and bleat away, because - you may not have thought of it this way - when you post what you are going through, someone else, like me for example, says to themselves "yeah I've got that, what did you do to fix that?" and invariably someone has the knowledge. Sounds obvious I know and I'm not advocating ignoring medical advice, but any help we offer each other invariably originates from professional advice and is really only making you aware to perhaps ask your Doctor about.