Diabetes and insomnia

Michael.b

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everybody. The time is now 0428 and I've been up since midnight. My question is how many of you suffer with insomnia?
All th best. Mike.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sure do. I just started a thread bout night time hungries. I need a small protein fat snack. And then even sometimes a small glass of wine. I'm exhausted before bed, take lantus and 45 min later wide awake. I get up and have a small glass of wine and a few nuts or a small piece of protein with some fat and 45 min later out. I just can't get to sleep but once asleep I stay asleep

Michael.b

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sure do. I just started a thread bout night time hungries. I need a small protein fat snack. And then even sometimes a small glass of wine. I'm exhausted before bed, take lantus and 45 min later wide awake. I get up and have a small glass of wine and a few nuts or a small piece of protein with some fat and 45 min later out. I just can't get to sleep but once asleep I stay asleep
Glad to here you can manage to get back to sleep.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It doesn't apply to me since I sleep well between the times I get up for a pee. This is where I lose sleep since I get up about three or four times a night, but I go out like a light when I get back into bed.

I am not aware of insomnia being linked to diabetes specifically.

binman1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
to much noise, WORK
hi all, I posted somewhere this morning with this title and I think I posted on the wron forum so here it is again. My question is...
Does diabetes and insomnia run in the same vein? as I'm only getting about 3 hours every night and have been up since midnight and am wide awake. I would love to hear from you. All the best. Mike. Ps, it is very rare that I sleep during the day.
hi I have the same problem, sleep about 4 to 6 hours a night, luck I start work at 4 am

Michael.b

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It doesn't apply to me since I sleep well between the times I get up for a pee. This is where I lose sleep since I get up about three or four times a night, but I go out like a light when I get back into bed.

I am not aware of insomnia being linked to diabetes specifically.
Thanks Squire, it could be that I'm also a fibromyalgia sufferer.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Michael.b - Hi. I am sleeping better of late thanks to Tramadol (Opaite Pain Relief). Got Arthritis of the Spine, 2 Herniated Disc's and waiting to see a Rheumatologist in June. A few months ago I was only getting a couple of hours sleep each night due to constant pain - then went back on the Tramadol and I now sleep for much longer, but always wake with headache and fuzzy head because of the Tramadol:)

Diabetic Krissy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude, horrible, stuck up people.
I suffer from insomnia a lot!! It comes and goes but if I'm stressed out I really have trouble sleeping.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Also if my stomach isn't happy I don't sleep song don't like to eat a big dinner or too late but then I get a tad hungry before bed.

Lots of people swear by a spoonful of peanut butter before bed. Have you tried that?

Michael.b

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No am still awake lol got to be up for work shortly too
So sorry to here that I'm lucky in a sense as I'm now 75 and retired so I don't have to worry about getting up for work. I still have to run the house and look after everything, but that does not bother me me like it used to do when I was working and loosing sleep.

Worrierfrog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Falling asleep by 10. Wake up 1:30.am. back to sleep then wake up at 3 ish. Then if I sleep again it's from 430 to 7am. If I get up and check I'm between 6.7 and 7.4.....but later could be up to 8. I've tried wine tried pbutter. Tried boiled egg ..etc etc. Many times I jolt awake at 3ish to fast pulse and sweating. And high bp. I'm scaring myself and now seem to exist on little sleep and little food..carbs are no way over 50 daily. No meds.
Anyone have a similar problem?

heathclowes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
certain vegetables and time wasters
I hate not being able to sleep properly, I sometimes have trouble getting off to sleep then wake up having nightmares some days and that's not nice either and you dare not go back to sleep

Vamppir8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everybody. The time is now 0428 and I've been up since midnight. My question is how many of you suffer with insomnia?
All th best. Mike.

I also have chronic rls, slept on sofa for 8 years till I accidently found a liveable cure. I take 2 30/500 codine/parasetamol half hour before bed knocks it on head. Feel bit rubbish in morning but if I forget, awake till I have them. Just seems to stop the messages going to my legs. Still have to get up two or three times to pee though ggggrrr.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@heathclowes Do you your blood sugar when you have nightmares? I'm a Type 1 too and I find that my blood sugar is often low when I have particularly horrible nightmares.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Do you your blood sugar when you have nightmares?
I had a slightly different experience a couple of nights ago woke up in hysterical laughter from an extremely funny dream and then could not get back to sleep for the rest of the night wife was not amused and I could not explain it to her. Blood sugar was on the low side but I am T2 so don't get hypos as such..

buddyscott

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I have worked one thing out. Often you don't wake up because you need the toilet, you need the toilet because you've not actually been asleep. The renal system shuts down during good sleep. It doesn't if you're tossing and turning all night.