Why such slow reduction of fbg Result?

Muthathal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
It is good to hear of the positive results/changes of those following the Newcastle diet. I started on the 8 weeks blood sugar diet 6 weeks ago after hearing how effective it was from a friend. I have had mixed results myself. Some data about my diabetes and me
T2 diabetes for past 10 years and with my fasting blood glucose gradually have gone up and was 54 mol/ mol last November. On 1000mg metformin twice a day; on BP medication, one stent for angina last November ; on statin and asthma medication. Asian lady - ht 5 ft , wt last Nov 52.9kg.
Had fasting blood glucose level and cholesterol levels checked yesterday (6 weeks since start of diet) and have been following it closely give and take 800-900calories a day. Have lost weight steadily to 48.4kg. I walked 4-5 miles once a week and in addition exercise 1hr about 3 times a week. Feel better generally. But my greatest disappointment is my FBG level has only dropped by 4mmol ( now it is 50mmol/mol) after 6 weeks on the LCHF diet. But my cholesterol is down to 3.5 from 4.0mmol/l. I am not sure why my FBG level is stubbornly high whilst my weight is going down. Also my home monitoring blood glucose results since starting diet has been consistently 3.2-4.4 pre meal and 3.6-5.2 two hours after meals. Has anyone got any suggestions?

Edit Delete Report
#743Muthathal, 2d 1h ago

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi
It is good to hear of the positive results/changes of those following the Newcastle diet. I started on the 8 weeks blood sugar diet 6 weeks ago after hearing how effective it was from a friend. I have had mixed results myself. Some data about my diabetes and me
T2 diabetes for past 10 years and with my fasting blood glucose gradually have gone up and was 54 mol/ mol last November. On 1000mg metformin twice a day; on BP medication, one stent for angina last November ; on statin and asthma medication. Asian lady - ht 5 ft , wt last Nov 52.9kg.
Had fasting blood glucose level and cholesterol levels checked yesterday (6 weeks since start of diet) and have been following it closely give and take 800-900calories a day. Have lost weight steadily to 48.4kg. I walked 4-5 miles once a week and in addition exercise 1hr about 3 times a week. Feel better generally. But my greatest disappointment is my FBG level has only dropped by 4mmol ( now it is 50mmol/mol) after 6 weeks on the LCHF diet. But my cholesterol is down to 3.5 from 4.0mmol/l. I am not sure why my FBG level is stubbornly high whilst my weight is going down. Also my home monitoring blood glucose results since starting diet has been consistently 3.2-4.4 pre meal and 3.6-5.2 two hours after meals. Has anyone got any suggestions?

Edit Delete Report
#743Muthathal, 2d 1h ago
Hi @Muthathal whst is your last 7 days meter readings for fbg (e.g first reading on rising on a morning). ?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Dear Ickihun,

I would have sent you a private message but those are blocked. In your sig file you mention 10 year infertility. I also had PCOS but my ten year wait resulted in a child. It was the PCOS I was told. Also my cousin, it was 12 years. Miracles happen
I agree. I had 2 children on metformin. :)

Muthathal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Muthathal whst is your last 7 days meter readings for fbg (e.g first reading on rising on a morning). ?

Hi Ickihun
Good to hear how you have managed your diabetes and brought down both your weight and FBS levels.
My last 7 days home meter blood sugar readings (fasting) first thing in the morning are:
FBG. 2 hours Post B/F
16/4. : 4.1 5.4
17/4. : 3.8. 4.5
18/4. : 4.4. 5.1
19/4. : 4.0. 4.9
20/4. : 4.7. 5.9
21/4. : 4.0. 4.9
22/4. : 4.2. 5.0
It is fairly consistent at present. Got this week and next week to complete my 8 weeks blood sugar diet. Will go for another fasting blood glucose test at the hospital in 8 weeks time to see if. My results have improved.
Will keep you posted.
:shy:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My goodness there are those on here would give their right hand for readings like that. You're already where most want to get to.

You have done really well congratulations.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Muthathal - since your BG are all in the normal range, I'm confused. What did you expect them to be?

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG.
16/4. : 4.1
17/4. : 3.8
18/4. : 4.4
19/4. : 4.0
20/4. : 4.7
21/4. : 4.0
22/4. : 4.2

Why such slow reduction of fbg Result?
Well I don't know, maybe it's because if they go too much lower then you'll die. Is it really such a bad thing that this isn't happening? o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
fasting blood glucose gradually have gone up and was 54 mol/ mol
FBG level has only dropped by 4mmol ( now it is 50mmol/mol) after 6 weeks on the LCHF diet.

Oh I see the problem now. Muthathal is saying "fasting blood glucose" but is meaning "HbA1c". :oops:

The real question being asked is: "My blood glucose levels have reduced, why is my HbA1c so slow to follow?"

Hi Muthathal, this is a different question, and fortunately one with a fairly simple answer. Your HbA1c reading (that's the one that is 50 mmol/mol) is an indicator of your average BG levels over a period of about 3 months. Given that you've only been on the diet for 6 weeks, and presumably that your BG levels dropped over time on the diet rather than immediately, then your latest HbA1c reading probably only represents about 3 to 4 weeks at most of your new lower BG levels. That is, this HbA1c probably represents around two month prior to the your new low BG levels, as well as about 3 to 4 weeks worth at your current levels.

If you can maintain the low BG levels that you're currently getting for another month or two then your HbA1c with definitely continue falling, probably well down into the 30s.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Muthathal Sorry I didn't understand fully the question you were asking but I am sure uart is correct it's your next HbA1c that will show the difference and should with luck be much lower than previous ones.

Best of luck John

Muthathal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you to all who responded. I have also come to the conclusion my Hb1Ac of 50mmol/mol is based on 3 months and not just the 6 weeks I had been on the LCHF diet. So continuing with diet and exercise and will have another blood test in 6-8 weeks time.
Thanks to all who gave encouraging words.
Muthathal

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
T So continuing with diet and exercise and will have another blood test in 6-8 weeks time.
Yep that's the right idea Muthathal. Given your present BG levels your HbA1c will probably be moving down pretty quickly right now. In another 6 to 8 weeks you're very likely to see low 40's or even better. :)