Hello & Happy New Year

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Hi everyone,

Just found your website and forum whilst Googling "metformin".

I think I have diabetes; probably type two. I say "think" as it's yet to be officially confirmed, but at a trip to A&E on New Years day for an unrelated matter (altho' it most probably all stems from the same thing) they took a urine sample and bloods and discovered I had a blood count of 16 and keytones in my urine. I've been feeling unwell for months now - lethergy, constantly tired, sleeping badly, wanting to sleep after a main/large meal (and frequently do) raging thirst, frequently peeing, etc. At 48 years of age (male) and having weighed 18 stone (give or take a stone) for many years now I guess it was kind of inevitable I'd either become diabetic or have a heart attack (middle aged man, 6ft 1in tall, self employed workaholic).

I'm not depressed about it, in a strange sort of way I feel relieved as it now explains a few medical problems I've developed in recent years, I think!

Anyway, I'm rambling on too much here. I need to go see my GP on Monday and have a fasting test done to kick this whole process of diagnosis and treatment off I guess, so I'll keep you all posted and no doubt I'll be a frequent contributor to your excellent forum.

I run a forum like this as part of my job, so I know what an invaluable service they provide.

Finally, remember, I'm a "newbie" so be gentle with me and tolerant if I ask dumb questions (which I have no doubt I will). :wink:

Jim

mullaneder

Dislikes
bullies, bad drivers ,recession,
hi jim and welcome to the forum.i was in your position last march and thanks to the help and support of the people on this forum i am nearly six stone lighter and have never felt better

dermot

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Hi Dermot,

Your experience is very encouraging.

Several years ago when I tipped the scales at over 20 stone :shock: I went on the Atkins Diet and the weight dropped off me FAST. At least a stone in week 1.

My problem was I plateaued at 16 stone and couldn't get below it no matter how I tried. I guess at 16 stone (assuming I can make it down to that again) the GP still won't be too happy with me.

Anyway, I'll give it my best shot and re join my local gym..............again. :oops:

Jim

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya jim and a warm welcome to the forum,
i have type 1 diabetes, have a good look around and ask anything you want, no question is daft :D
and have a happy new year :D

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Just been to see the nurse this afternoon.

She confirmed I am T2.

My HBA1c is 11.2.

For now she is happy for me to be diet only and she has given me a free BG meter. :D

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Used the BG meter for the first time at 10pm this evening.

The meter is a Freestyle Freedom Lite. My reading was 10.2.

At least I'm moving in the right direction; target is 7.

ranner12a

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello Ardberg,
Looks like I'm in the same boat as you.
Newly diagnosed and waiting treatment after diet change. I'm back to Health Centre on Monday where I should get meter. I'm 54 and 13 stone/5'11".
Are you taking Statin before bedtime ? Do they make you ache a bit during the day ?

No doubt I'll be asking stupid questions too but if you don't ask, you never know.

Mick

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Hi Mick,

At this point I'm strictly diet only. At the next visit to the nurse she will decide if that is working sufficiently well or do I need the assistance of tablets too.

Regards the meter, she gave me that for free :D I had called her prior to our appointment to ask her advice as to which one I should buy. Her reply was "save your money, I always have one or two in my office as the medical reps always leave me free samples".

I've only used the meter twice; 10pm last night and 8 am this morning. Results were 10.2 & 8.7 respectively, so I'm moving in the right direction. :p

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
brilliant that you have a great dn,
keep up the hard work :D

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Just taken a meter reading before I have my evening meal.

Down to 5.2, my lowest reading so far. :D

Perhaps I really should prick my fingers more often. :wink:

PS - and I managed to change the lancet too. Not feeling such a newbie any more 8)

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Just taken another reading, 2 hours after my evening meal.

6.1 :D

I'm amazed just how quickly my BG appears to be coming down in such a short space of time (meter reading was 16 on new years day). I'm not on a diet as such, just avoiding the usual sugary snacks and trying to eat 3 meals a day with as low carb as possible. Also no booze since new years day.

This has been a real morale boost for me and I guess it confirms what cugila and SS have been saying on here all along. You will never fully know about your condition and how you are doing unless you take meter readings regularly.

No room for complacency though; I know I need to "stick with the programme" until my next visit to the nurse.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Great to hear your numbers are all coming down slowly but surely....... :D Stick with it, you know it makes sense !!

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Cheers Ken.

My biggest challenge comes next week when I am down in Weston super mare on a 3 day training course. 8 of us are all staying in the same hotel. Watching my food intake will be hard enough but sitting at the bar all night with the others and not boozing will be a real test. :cry:

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
well done on lowering the numbers, feels good doesnt it? :D

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Thanks totsy,

Yes it does. :D

ranner12a

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done with your results !

I had my check this morning. Not so good I'm afraid. Reading of 12.4 before anything to eat/drink this morning and high sugar levels in urine. Now on 500mg Metmorfin at breakfast (1st week), 500mg Metmorfin x twice a day for next 3 weeks and then its up to 850mg Metmorfin x twice a day after that. :roll:
Next review in 2-3 months.
They did give me a free meter which I will start using once the pills get into the system.
Got 2 sessions of support/information at Ely hospital booked up, so not too down at the moment.

All that healthy eating over the last week and a half and nothing has changed. I guess its a long haul so I'll keep it up (hope that doesn't become another story :cry: )

Mick

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
How did I get from zero to over 250 posts in less than 2 months? :oops:

Is verbal diahorrea a symptom of T2? :wink:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Jim.
I think you have answered your own question......... :lol:

Are you trying to catch me up ?

Ken

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Ken,

Many moons will come to pass before the student overtakes the master.

Respect dude. 8)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
When you know a thing, to hold that you know it; and when you do not know a thing, to allow that you do not know it - this is knowledge.

Confucius