Tattoo care

Emily101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!

I'm type 1 diabetic and am thinking of getting my first tattoo- it will be on my arm.

Just looking for some advice about the whole process and caring for it? Would anyone warn against them?

Thanks!
Emily

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes me too type one and wants a tattoo all I have been told will obviously take longer to heal. Already have one tattoo but was pre diabetes

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I got a tattoo done.. Healed nicely, no problems.. Just make sure your blood sugars are reasonable & test before during & after the sitting..
@mahola 's advice is good.. Pretty much what I did on principle with my tattoo after care.. But with different branded products.. ;)

Willow_14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Emily101
Hey,

My dad is also type 1 diabetic as well as me, he had a tattoo done recently at the same time as my mum had hers done, it may of been longer to heal but I think other than that it will be fine

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Care is same as for non-diabetic, just try to keep your BG under control and when you do go be sure to test a few times and have hypo treatment.

All my ink has been done since diagnosis and some have caused my BG to rise while being done others have caused a drop so I would suggest you go prepared for both.
For the after care just really try and keep on top of your BG so that you aren't giving any possible infection more sugar to work with.

Other than that good luck and both pictures. As a friend of mine over in the US says whenever I mention a new tattoo says, "If there are no photos it didn't happen" ;)

/A

Reactions: 2 people
N

NicolaB70

I had my second tattoo done last Tuesday and it's very nearly healed up. As others have mentioned, I've let the air get to it, kept it dry and been rubbing bepanthen nappy cream onto it regularly. I did have some yellow bruising around my tattoo but I'm putting that down to having it on the bony part of my shoulder, that's more or less gone now and it's just a bit itchy at the moment nut apart from that I'm over the moon with my new artwork.

N

NicolaB70

image.jpeg My new tattoo

Emily101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Care is same as for non-diabetic, just try to keep your BG under control and when you do go be sure to test a few times and have hypo treatment.

All my ink has been done since diagnosis and some have caused my BG to rise while being done others have caused a drop so I would suggest you go prepared for both.
For the after care just really try and keep on top of your BG so that you aren't giving any possible infection more sugar to work with.

Other than that good luck and both pictures. As a friend of mine over in the US says whenever I mention a new tattoo says, "If there are no photos it didn't happen" ;)

/A
I love this! Thank you for the fantastic advice. :')

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also have Romeo and Juliet on my thighs... I'm not normal :D
Nice!
Pretty **** "hardcore".. :cool: I was expecting the "fairy tale" portrait of the star crossed, fated lovers..?

Here is mine...

image.jpeg

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh what the hell. Here is my last one, not my design but a genuine piece of art by a guy called Luke Chueh..... uhm. take your own meanings :)
wp_20160425_20_40_48_rich_li-jpg.18672

Attachments

• WP_20160425_20_40_48_Rich_LI.jpg
    WP_20160425_20_40_48_Rich_LI.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 676

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh what the hell. Here is my last one, not my design but a genuine piece of art by a guy called Luke Chueh..... uhm. take your own meanings :)

At a guess at the "meaning"? I'd say at some point you felt like a "lab experiment"...