New here.. Problem teacher.

Sophie31

Hi there, my name is Sophie and my daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last year. She has been amazing and has been through the mill, but still smiles and enjoys life.
I wondered if anyone else had problems with their child's school? We had a meeting last week and her teacher actually said "I think she likes having diabetes." I was gob smacked and didn't really say anything at the time, but when I left j broke down. I have watched my daughter sob because she wished diabetes didn't exsist. She has cried when her injections have hurt her. She has cried when she went swimming and because of the absorption of water in her fingers, it showed up hundreds of holes in her fingers.. She has also developed a tick in her face. Although she is a happy girl and still does all the things she did before diagnosis, she is anxious. She also, has no concentration what so ever when she is running even a little high. I'm struggling to get his across to her teacher.
Her teacher assumes because My daughter says she feels fine, that means she can do her work. She can't. I know she can't. I have watched her try and do homework and she struggles. Her teacher is the most unsympathetic person I have come across and her attitude towards my daughter stinks. My daughter also pointed out that she had to keep her socks and plimsoles on for PE, her reply; "You can't blame everything on your diabetes!"
I was and still am livid as Lydia then got wet feet at school and was too scared to tell her. When we brought this up in a meeting she was very defensive and said that even when Her levels are ok she still doesn't do anything. And said that she that morning had written two things in an hour, so she got her to check her blood test and was 5.6, told her there was no excuse for not doing a thing.. Well, when we got home from school, we checked her meter and there was no blood test done. We also asked my daughter if she'd been asked to do her test by her teacher and she said no.. We pointed this out to the head teacher who said that if it happens again he will do something then, but now this one has passed. I don't think that's good enough. A teacher shouldn't be lying regardless but to lie about blood tests and someone's medical condition is just cruel. We also checked my daughter work and she had done a lot more than she said. What do I do???

Reactions: 2 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Sophie31 - Hello and Welcome to the Forum :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @Sophie31 and welcome to the forum.

In the absence of replies from other parents I wonder if you've seen some of the information and advice from Diabetes UK, they have put together a An Individual Healthcare Plan which details what a child's care needs are in school, here is a page from their website explaining what a IHP entails:

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Schools/IHP-a-childs-individual-healthcare-plan/

Maybe worth contacting DUK is you have further issues or need advice, good luck.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Sophie31 If you feel your daughter's teacher isn't being supportive, then make a complaint (in writing). That will mean the school can look into it more closely.

It may also be worthwhile suggesting some education for the staff if you think their knowledge could be better.

If your daughter's unhappy and stressed at school, then that's not going to do her any good. I can see how upset you sound. I'd be the same if it was one of my children (they don't have diabetes but have other health issues)

Write a letter of complaint, sticking to facts, and see what the school have to say. As @noblehead says, you may also want to familiarise yourself with the Plan information linked to above.

Branigan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm a retired teacher, and also have diabetes. The school needs to have some understanding of both diabetes and your daughter's relationship with it. Is there a school nurse attached to her school who you may be able to talk with, then he or she could deliver some training to the staff at a meeting (with you there, preferably) Then their ignorance can be addressed and they could ask questions to you or the nurse. By 'I think she likes having diabetes' I presume that her teacher meant that she is embracing a new and difficult situation positively - a good thing, surely? You're her Mum and Mums and Dads often have to do battle with schools. Best of luck. Branigan

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You haven't said how old your daughter is, but from your post I'm assuming she's in KS2 (juniors). As an ex-deputy head I have to say that most teachers will know very little about diabetes unless they have it themselves, have someone close to them with it or have gone out of their way to find out about it. In 27 years I was never offered a diabetes awareness course. I had epipen courses every year, but nothing for diabetes.
You could ask if the school nurse could give the teachers a staff meeting on this. All the school nurses I have come across have been brilliant and their staff meetings were always worthwhile, but I've not used them for diabetes awareness with teachers and I know many of us have had experiences of our own medical centre nurses knowing very little about diabetes, so that might not be good. Also, many schools no longer have access to school nurses. It's worth talking to the school about that though. Failing that you could share your knowledge of diabetes with staff - most usefully with all teachers and TAs at a staff meeting, but that might be daunting for you.
As to the teacher - well, their attutide does not sound good and I have to say you do get the odd one or two teachers who might be like that, but it's not typical of our profession. It sounds like the teacher is being very defensive for some reason and things have possibly got to the stage where you need a meeting with the teacher, the headteacher and, if possible, a diabetes nurse.
If things happen that you are not happy with do jot the details down in a log, and do talk to the head. In my experience parents often don't mention things because they feel they are telling tales, will make situations worse or will make the teachers pick on the children, but the school management team can only do something about situations if they know about them. The school has a duty of care for your child and unless they understand their diabetic needs and the implications of the disease on an individual child's education they cannot best fulfill their duty. There are so many misunderstandings about diabetes that I'm sure many teachers will have some odd ideas. I am type 2 so know very little about type 1 other than what I've learnt from having diabetic children in my class, and each of those had different needs.
I think you need to keep the dialogue with the school going and if you can keep calm and patient all the better, but I think that teacher sounds very trying, so going straight to the top and explain how you feel to the head and, more importantly, how the teacher makes your child feel is important.
Good luck (and sorry for the long reply!).

Reactions: 7 people

Little_Lucy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm in year 8 now but sometimes when I was first diagnosed I forgot to do my blood sugars I asked my teacher if she reminds me you could ask for that and if she dosent there is no excuse and you could get a watch or alarm of some sort for your daughter to remind her and the teacher so you can see also if it carrys on report it to the head teacher and maybe asked to change class because the teacher is t taking a serious desiese well seriously and she should if class can not be changed keep on nagging until you get your way because nothing is more important then your daughters health

Sophie31

Hi thank you for your replies.

This remark was actually said in a meeting with the head teacher, my daughters other teachers and her diabetes Nurse. I quickly made my point that it took me a couple of months to get Lydia to embrace what is happening to her and not be ashamed. When she first had it she would want to hide in the toilet to do her injection but I've got her out of that. She's proud of herself for handling it all and so am I. I was livid and after she left the room, the head spoke to my daughters father and said that he was shocked by what she said by just didn't know what to say. She has since been spoke. To about the lack of compassion she shows but he's not sure himself she will change. If anything else significant should happen again then we will take it further.
Sadly I have asked time and time again for the teacher to remind Lydia to do a blood test. She even came out of school low once and when told, she said "oh yes I was meant to remind her." Then, at the top of her voice asked her class of 7 and 8 year olds to try and remember for her. She's had an alarm on her monitor for a while now.. If it wasn't for he fact Lydia loves seeing her friends I'd pull her out of the school.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Obviously I can't comment on this particular teacher, but if this was happening to my child in a school, I'd put my concerns in writing to the Head, copy in the Governors, the LEA and possibly the DSN.

It's not just a question of compassion. Any teacher has a duty of care to the children in their class. You shouldn't have to worry about whether your child is being looked after properly.

If you feel the teacher is incapable of proper care, could you ask about ancillary staff for your daughter? I do know one child who has extra support in class - an ancillary who's responsible for blood tests, treating hypos, etc.

Nutty72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Sophie31, I totally feel for you, we are really lucky, my daughters school already had a type 1 so had some knowledge. If they didn't have any knowledge I'd be anxious, I get regular phone calls, today's one being Niamh's high would you like a correction dose? They have been truly marvellous so completely understand how you feel having no or little support...
Where abouts are you?

Willow_14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I am only 14 but throughout my entire school life I have has teachers like that. I don't think they have said things like that or lied but they have always joked about it especially in primary school which isn't nice but what can you do when you are 11 years old.

In the school I am in now (I am in year 9) they don't really do any of that but if you do feel your blood sugar are too high or low you get your red card (given to you at the start of the year if you have diabetes or anxiety or something) the red card gets you out of lessons and into the medical room. They do panic a bit in there but it isn't too bad.

When I first moved to the school my mum had a meeting with my head teacher and a few others to give them a brief overview about what to do incase I become low etc and she provided some information so they don't have to keep asking information when I don't feel well.

I don't know if this has helped but I hope it has a bit :)

Reactions: 8 people

jellymum

It sounds to me.as if this teacher really resents the "extra work" your daughter's diabetes causes her. Wearing socks and plimsolls in pe is no big deal but the teacher.is of the " it's not fair" school of thought. She needs to sent on some of training for empathy. I expect she's equally vile to all her pupils who need a bit extra. The head needs to grow a spine and maybe yr child needs to move schools. Duty of care is part of her job if she can't remember blood tests then she can't have yr child in her class. Being spiteful and flippant doesn't disguise the fact that she is failing in her role.

MammaLucy

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sophie , I am so sorry to hear you and your daughter are having such an awful time at school. Can you call one of your diabetic nurse team to ask them to come to your school and give your daughters teacher / headteacher/ first aid teachers a lesson in type 1 in children in school. This may open their eyes to the importance of correct testing/ safe footwear etc. It sounds to me that the teacher is ignorant about the disease and needs a lesson herself. Then she may understand what goes on in someone who has type 1. My sons school have been and are amazing and the diabetic nurse has just been back for a refresher lesson for his class and all the school staff. It is important that they all know and understand the disease as your child spends a large portion of their life at school. If the teacher and headteacher are not helping your daughter as they should be then you must take your grievance higher to the Governing body and they will ensure that the correct protocol is adhered to. The teacher should have a copy of your daughters care plan as well so she should be aware of hypos and hypers and their effect on a child.
I wish you much luck.
Lucy

W00sterz00ey

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Sophie31 I am so sorry to hear this. As if it's not hard enough to leave them in someone else's care to then find that the care is not supportive is just too much.
I am now to this (my 9yo was diagnosed T1 last month) but I agree with those who said that you should talk to your PDN and ask for them to come in (again?) to work with the school on a plan. We had that when Mine went back to school and it seems to work.
They (our little ones) are brilliant and string and amazing but they need their schools support. And the school has a duty of care.
Best of luck with it and keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

SurreyDad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Sophie,

Sorry to hear about the problem teacher...

With comments like "I think she likes having diabetes", I wonder whether she realises the true extent of having/caring for diabetes? Probably not. My daughter was diagnosed T1 around 6 weeks ago and so many people say "I'm glad she's better now"... my wife hates this as she thinks people are belittling her diabetes.

I didn't know anything about diabetes until it personally affected me, so these people don't either.

Don't take any nonsense from her teacher/school. I've had a couple of conversations with my daughters headteacher already.

Nothing major, but her teacher indicated that she may not be able to go on a school trip unless my wife or I could go.
We couldn't that day and I let them know that her not going wasn't an option. Would they ban an asthma sufferer from going unless one of their parents went?

Generally the school have been great, but we've had to force the issue a couple of times when they have tried to take an easy way out. There is no easy way out for us or my daughter!

MammaLucy

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
SurreyDad, I completely agree that you cannot and should not let anyone stop your child from doing anything . My son (type 1/coeliac/ oral allergy syndrome ) and daughter (coeliac/asthma) spent a week away with their school on a PGL trip. It did take a lot of pre planning and organising but they both felt included and not different.
As you and your wife and daughter will know, unless someone walks a day in your shoes they have no idea as to what it is like to have diabetes in your life.
Good luck to you ( we have just passed our 2 years diagnosis). It's not easy but there are some wonderful people out there.
Lucy

Reactions: 6 people

SurreyDad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks MammaLucy - it's still early days for us.

My daughter's blood screenings have shown coeliacs, so that's the next change for us - hospital appointment later this month!

W00sterz00ey

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks MammaLucy - it's still early days for us.

My daughter's blood screenings have shown coeliacs, so that's the next change for us - hospital appointment later this month!

Hey @SurreyDad. My daughter (9) was diagnosed T1 in April and also showed coeliac in her blood. We're waiting for the appt to see.

W00sterz00ey

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @W00sterz00ey - Great isn't it... just as you get to grips with diabetes, coeliacs rears it's head!

Our appointment is on the 20th at St Georges.

Let us know. Fingers crossed its all ok. We keep telling DD that if it's positive at least it's fashionable