Bed time hungries?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't sleep without a snack before bed. Anyone else? What do you eat?
Is it a lantus thing?

Reactions: 2 people

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A small bit of cheddar cheese or a few pine nuts work for me. A couple of cheese biscuits if bedtime number justifies it.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've always hated going to bed hungry and it absolutely affects my sleep. I eat a large dinner which is usually enough to satisfy my, but sometimes I may have 1oz of pecans or something similar.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I can't sleep without a snack before bed. Anyone else? What do you eat?
Is it a lantus thing?

Don't think its anything to do with lantus unless your bg levels are running low.

I stopped snacking between meals and eating supper around 7 years ago, evening meal see's me through to the morning and rarely feel hungry before bed, find if I do eat before bed it can lead to less predictable bg levels through the night.

Reactions: 4 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Typically I go bed around 80 and wake up the same. I can not eat large meals because I can't digest them. If my stomach isn't happy I definately will not sleep. I have been having 1/3 grass fed hot dog and a few nuts the last few nights and it's helping. I also do this so I don't go lower than 80. I don't have any monitor but in the past I have woken up and taken it and I don't seem to have a lot of fluctuation at night. I can go to bed exhausted and 45 min later be wide awake and hungry. That's whybinwondered if maybe it's lantus. I am very insulin sensative. I'll keep doing this and see how it goes.
Thanks for all the replies

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like flax seed crackers, they have barely any effect on BS.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi if I am hungry at night and my BG readings are in range I will have a couple of rivitas or crispbread with cheddar chees thinly sliced. BG levels in morning ok. :happy:

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Supper is Crackerwheat (3) buttered with slices of Red Leicester Cheese around 11.30pm and my fastings are in the 5's. When I don't have supper my fastings are much higher around 7's.

Brillpaul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Lada since Feb.

Slice of toast with butter and jam and ginger nut with tea. BG 7
Up at 6am. BG 6
This has been the pattern for about a month now.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Supper is Crackerwheat (3) buttered with slices of Red Leicester Cheese around 11.30pm and my fastings are in the 5's. When I don't have supper my fastings are much higher around 7's.
Hi liam 1955, see you have changed your Avatar nice one :)

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Trying a cheese and cracker and a cup of tea again tonight.:happy:

Nayera2003

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having bad health
Hi ya ! I am ALWAYS hungry at bed time but if I eat anything apart from salad my fasting blood sugar is above 8. Thank you and have a nice day !!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am just trying to find something that keeps me from dropping on one unit lantus as stupid as that sounds. Last night ate a little bigger dinner to be a little higher at bed. 101 at bed, had a bite of hot dog and a celery stick with a swipe of peanut butter and woke at 78. I'm trying to wake in the 80' s and I tend to wake low 70's. I've tried no lantus but go up of course.
Sometimes I wonder how much lantus works on food and maybe I shouldn't eat but I don't sleep if I don't. Such a conundrum.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds delish but I can't do dairy. I would love cream cheese roll ups. I used to live on them. All mushed up on salami. Yummmmm