I cured my diabetes so anybody can

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdMac

People are embracing the possibility of reversing their diabetes because that is what their healthcare professionals are telling them is happening. With, it seems, little or no evidence for them to hold that belief.
I wasn't aware of any active healthcare professionals advising reversal - quite the opposite. But if they are then that's great news as far as I'm concerned. I was thinking more about reports from studies already quoted on this forum, from people I have met offline who have reversed their diabetes following those studies and from some of my interpretations of people's comments on here over the last 5 months or so.

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Here is a guy who has reversed his diabetes for nearly 4 years now.

Here is the first article http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/may/12/type-2-diabetes-diet-cure

Here is the second article 3 years later.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/apr/23/diabetes-can-you-really-eat-to-beat-it

Richard Doughty was 170 cm and 66 kg when diagnosed giving him a bm of 22.8. He then went down to 60 kg on his own accord giving him a bmi of 20.7. He then went on the newcastle diet, eating about 600 to 800 calories a day of nutrition shakes and vegetables, drinking loads of water. On day 11 he weighed 56 giving him a bmi of 19.38. He then stopped, and took a fasting glucose test some months later and he was officialy declared cured.

He then changed his diet, and started to exercise reguarly, care to not put back again those 10 kg.

Here is his diet now.

…and the 1,750-calorie diet he follows now
Breakfast Home-made muesli – uncooked porridge oats mixed with sultanas, blueberries, plums or other berries. Plus almonds and skimmed milk. Toasted rye bread with thin layers of Benecol spread and jam. Occasional scrambled eggs over a giant grilled tomato.

Lunch Main meal of the day – from a choice of chicken, tinned tuna, fresh oily fish, steamed non-starchy vegetables cooked al dente, just 50g of brown rice or wholegrain spelt/spinach pasta. Or go Greek with olives, hummus, feta cheese and salad. Fresh fruit (berries, apples, oranges, etc, with fat-free yoghurt), creme fraiche, quark.

Supper Thick, home-made soup such as carrot and coriander or mushroom. Or Greek or chicken salad, followed by fresh fruit.

Plus Several glasses of fresh/flavoured water or herbal/fruit tea daily, plus ordinary tea, decaf coffee.

I will now mention the things he eats that many people claim people who are cured of diabetes cannot eat.

See that he eats muesli, rye bread with margarine, jam, and porridge oats for breakfast. He drinks skimmed milk and has some fruit as well.

Lunch is fat free yoghurt, and fruits.

Supper is a soup of carrot or mushrooms with fruit as dessert.

So this guy eats a amount of carbs many here will not advise, especially since he is "cured", and he still keeps his sugars. Read and be inspired.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been inspired by such stories before. It's one hell of a let down when you realise it doesn't work for you.

Reactions: 2 people

EdMac

I've been inspired by such stories before. It's one hell of a let down when you realise it doesn't work for you.
But that shouldn't stop other people being inspired. And neither is personal disappointment a license for anyone (not you specifically) to derail other people's inspiration.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Perhaps to pull the plug on this thread?

Reactions: 4 people

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
NO!!!!! It's been a great read! Whilst eating a LCHF breakfast and forcing myself to get up and get dressed to go to work.

@serenity648 I don't have time to link it - but my understanding has been that genes and environment are very much tied up in T2 diabetes - there is not one cause without the other - and it isn't a diabetes gene per se, but a set of genes/genetic factors that can all contribute - ie described as the fat storage pathway. (The ol' storing fat around your middle/organs thing). And these genetic factors are things that in times past served your forebears well to survive! (Lack of food available for instance.) Not a gene mutation at all, but the bottom line state of our species. And a state that does not serve well in times of carb excess and plentiful high energy food (like - now!). This is why many of us have the genetic predisposition (ie being human) but have never heard or seen another family member who had T2D (my situation).

There is also new and very convincing talk about the influence of the gut biome in T2D - and you get your first gut greeblies via your biological mother, who also picked some up from your biological father if you came from a vaginal birth. It's complicated - right? How to differentiate genome stuff from gut biome stuff? I guess one day we will be able to. But I don't think we can right now.

Remember to, y'all, that there are whole ethnic groups out there who have a predisposition to T2D (where it is 25% - I have ancestry myself where this is the case and I am included in that statistic) - whole countries in fact! (There are country hot spots - like the Phillipines and the areas like the Middle East particularly Saudi Arabia I believe.) And this is not because they are all gene mutants, but because their people are lean muscular types who store excess energy so oh, so very well, around their guts.

In actual fact - Caucasians of northern European extraction seem to have an extra genetic protection - due probably to eating wheat and dairy for a long period of time - against T2D. I can provide links and refs another time when I don't have to get to work so very early this morning, here in the southern hemisphere! Hope this was informative.

Reactions: 4 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Returning to the OP..
I think he's plugging a book. Said book is by a total quack. Vegan diet and be cured of everything, cancer included - as he is now deceased, seems he couldn't cure himself.. Please see following excerpt from his website (as long as his name is mentioned, and a link, it's ok to put here. So Andreas Moritz). By the way, did you know that Cancer cures itself if left alone? Tumours will magically disappear - and there was me thinking that it was my chemotherapy and radiotherapy wot dun ito_O Here's the link. http://www.ener-chi.com/eating-protein-causes-diabetes/

*bows out of conversation after giving a snort of derision*...

Reactions: 6 people

lorsand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
These people who have cured themselves and are "free from diabetes"...so, you can eat a pile of toast with cereal each morning now, spuds, pasta, pizza...sweeties even...and have no problems at all? Not sure..really...I think you will find, if you're being honest, that you have managed to get your blood sugars under control by sticking pretty rigidly to a limited diet...so have I..so have thousands...and I eat meat, plenty of it. Will power has not been required at all...it only took realisation and common sense, as it did to stop smoking after 30 years...I don't require will power (or a vegetarian diet) not to jump head-first off a skyscraper for a laugh either....I just do what needs done and avoid what clearly mucks me about. it's not amazing..and it's not magic..and I am not cured...I am careful.and healthier as a result. End of story...no book...no movie...just low carbs really.
I completely agree with your message. As a newbie myself, I joined the forum in a state of shock and must admit if I had seen the advice from the initial post in this thread I would have tried to follow it as I am desperate to control my diabetes and not go on meds. However, I have spent hours reading the posts from people on here and they have been so very informative and motivational that I calmed down slightly after the shock and looked into the LCHF lifestyle and exercise (exercise avoider for over 20 years!). I now do a strict low carb food regime and so far for the past three weeks have been to the gym to do cardio every weekday (I have a lot of weight to lose and need to get a head start before going back to work and working around shifts). My fasting BG has come down from 9.3 to 5.5. I keep a food diary and test before and two hours after meals to try and find out my spiking triggers (naan bread - cant even save that now as a treat). I know I am possibly still in the 'honeymoon stage' of my diagnosis and the lower results but it is very motivating. Thank you to all the lovely people who post on here.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here is a guy who has reversed his diabetes for nearly 4 years now.

Here is the first article http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/may/12/type-2-diabetes-diet-cure

Here is the second article 3 years later.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/apr/23/diabetes-can-you-really-eat-to-beat-it

Richard Doughty was 170 cm and 66 kg when diagnosed giving him a bm of 22.8. He then went down to 60 kg on his own accord giving him a bmi of 20.7. He then went on the newcastle diet, eating about 600 to 800 calories a day of nutrition shakes and vegetables, drinking loads of water. On day 11 he weighed 56 giving him a bmi of 19.38. He then stopped, and took a fasting glucose test some months later and he was officialy declared cured.

He then changed his diet, and started to exercise reguarly, care to not put back again those 10 kg.

Here is his diet now.

…and the 1,750-calorie diet he follows now
Breakfast Home-made muesli – uncooked porridge oats mixed with sultanas, blueberries, plums or other berries. Plus almonds and skimmed milk. Toasted rye bread with thin layers of Benecol spread and jam. Occasional scrambled eggs over a giant grilled tomato.

Lunch Main meal of the day – from a choice of chicken, tinned tuna, fresh oily fish, steamed non-starchy vegetables cooked al dente, just 50g of brown rice or wholegrain spelt/spinach pasta. Or go Greek with olives, hummus, feta cheese and salad. Fresh fruit (berries, apples, oranges, etc, with fat-free yoghurt), creme fraiche, quark.

Supper Thick, home-made soup such as carrot and coriander or mushroom. Or Greek or chicken salad, followed by fresh fruit.

Plus Several glasses of fresh/flavoured water or herbal/fruit tea daily, plus ordinary tea, decaf coffee.

I will now mention the things he eats that many people claim people who are cured of diabetes cannot eat.

See that he eats muesli, rye bread with margarine, jam, and porridge oats for breakfast. He drinks skimmed milk and has some fruit as well.

Lunch is fat free yoghurt, and fruits.

Supper is a soup of carrot or mushrooms with fruit as dessert.

So this guy eats a amount of carbs many here will not advise, especially since he is "cured", and he still keeps his sugars. Read and be inspired.

And I am willing to bet that the diet described is a VERY DIFFERENT one from his pre diagnosis diet.
-it is still low carb compared with the majority of Western eaters, and the Standard American Diet. Rye bread is very different from wheat bread. Muesli is very different from cereal. 50g of brown rice is a far cry from typical white rice portions. Touting margarine as a healthy diet choice boggles my mind. And he is on 1750 calories a day, suggesting that the poor guy is calorie counting as a permanent feature (RDA for the average male is around 2,500 calories, so he is in major deficit on a daily basis, to maintain his 'success').

I don't find the word 'cured' appropriate to describe his lifestyle. The words 'ongoing major lifestyle changes allowing continued control' are a better fit.

Very glad he has made the progress he has, and the weight loss and improved health is great. But I would rather stay a well controlled T2 (which I have achieved without the misery of a VLC diet, and by eating great food, in comfortably satisfying portions, without calorie counting or eating Frankenfood margarine) than put myself through his diet and then face a life of margarine smeared on rye bread and fat free yoghurt. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And I am willing to bet that the diet described is a VERY DIFFERENT one from his pre diagnosis diet.
-it is still low carb compared with the majority of Western eaters, and the Standard American Diet. Rye bread is very different from wheat bread. Muesli is very different from cereal. 50g of brown rice is a far cry from typical white rice portions. Touting margarine as a healthy diet choice boggles my mind. And he is on 1750 calories a day, suggesting that the poor guy is calorie counting as a permanent feature (RDA for the average male is around 2,500 calories, so he is in major deficit on a daily basis, to maintain his 'success').

I don't find the word 'cured' appropriate to describe his lifestyle. The words 'ongoing major lifestyle changes allowing continued control' are a better fit.

Very glad he has made the progress he has, and the weight loss and improved health is great. But I would rather stay a well controlled T2 (which I have achieved without the misery of a VLC diet, and by eating great food, in comfortably satisfying portions, without calorie counting or eating Frankenfood margarine) than put myself through his diet and then face a life of margarine smeared on rye bread and fat free yoghurt. :)
Pretty much agree with all of that.
Except that very low calorie diet or fasting is not misery for me. I never feel better than during or just after a period of fasting. BG levels are always at their best. I have more energy, less arthritic pain, and better sleep, and none of the 'brain fog' that I have when eating the recommended calorie intake.

EdMac

So basically you're benchmarking other people's choices against your own personal values which are entirely subjective. For example, personally, I find the idea of choosing to stay a T2 Diabetic in order to avoid the "misery of a VLC diet" (misery is a personal frame of reference) an utterly abhorrent choice. But only for me personally, so if that's someone else's choice then the very best of luck to you. Vive la difference :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bet you he can eat a donut without spiking.
Maybe he can. I know I can. If I did it regularly though I would gain weight. Overdose on doughnuts (or other junk) = massive weight gain = abdominal organ fat = higher BG levels.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe he can. I know I can. If I did it regularly though I would gain weight. Overdose on doughnuts (or other junk) = massive weight gain = abdominal organ fat = higher BG levels.

Exactly.

I view diabetes and reversal a bit like breaking your leg.

Bend your leg far enough in the wrong direction, it breaks.
Then when you get it plastered, rest, remove the cast, a bit of physio, it's completely healed, and no longer broken.
It doesn't mean if your bend it in the wrong direction again, in exactly the same way, exactly the same thing won't happen again.
Some people don't heal properly though, others do.

At to being fat causing diabetes, it did for me as well, so no, I don't in tend to overeat again.
I intend to not repeat the mistake of the past, I changed my eating habits, to simply eat less food.
A VLCD isn't misery to a lot of us.

EdMac

it completely healed, and no longer broken.
But do you have references and scientific studies to PROVE it isn't broken - if not this is just your unsubstantiated opinion.

So the fact remains that anyone who has broken their leg should continue to walk with a crutch. And preferably a limp as well just to be on the safe side.

But on a more serious note your common sense analogy is like a warming ray of sunshine on a dull day :) Common sense - not actually that common at all.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So basically you're benchmarking other people's choices against your own personal values which are entirely subjective. For example, personally, I find the idea of choosing to stay a T2 Diabetic in order to avoid the "misery of a VLC diet" (misery is a personal frame of reference) an utterly abhorrent choice. But only for me personally, so if that's someone else's choice then the very best of luck to you. Vive la difference :)

Oh please.
We all live an existence of subjective value judgements.
Your every post demonstrates this.
You have created a theory, promoting it on this thread, without any references or studies to support it. When asked for them, you don't provide them. That isn't very objective, is it?

My thinking (and yes, of course it is subjective, every human being on the planet uses personal perspectives to reach opinions and decisions) is based on 30 + years of living in a body with evolving glucose intolerance, and learning the hard way, over decades, what suits it.

Please note that my comments are based on personal experience - which I try to stress in every post. Clearly, this means I am speaking on my own behalf, not others. And, if you read enough of them you will see that I enjoy new info, finding out new ideas and reading studies - all the info goes into a nice melting pot that forumulates (see what I did there? ;)) my understanding of T2 and my own body's personal experience of the condition.

I don't pretend to be objective, but I do try to be informed.

Consequently, I am totally comfortable with commenting from my personal experience and letting other people make up their own minds. And I rather object to people storming in with pet theories that simply do not align with the large body of papers, research, books and discussions that I have had the privilege to encounter over the last few years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont really know if there is anything like a cure or reversal but I just think that as long as you are happy with your numbers and a1c's are good, fasting levels are good, your diet suits you, then its ok, just dont think you have reversed and take a chance to get back to your old eating habits. I had my a1c done and even though I have gained some weight and working out to reduce that, my a1c has behaved very well, I came at 38 and I have almost had a spoon or two of something sweet almost everyday, my carbs are at about 100 to 200g a day and I do have days when they go far more than that but I still somewhere always have this at the back of my mind that I should not overdo it. I would have a slice of cake sometimes, and a little bit of croissant but it does not mean that if I am having an omelette I have white or even brown bread, I just opt for the lidl roll, I do not want to overload the system with carbs, It might be able enough to deal with it but I do not wish to take a chance lets say.
I dont know if I have reversed or cured my diabetes but I am very happy with my cuurent regime of workouts, diet, BG levels and I think thats what counts really. And I can have an occasional piece of cake without thinking too much, just works for me. :)

All the best.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Exactly.

I view diabetes and reversal a bit like breaking your leg.

Bend your leg far enough in the wrong direction, it breaks.
Then when you get it plastered, rest, remove the cast, a bit of physio, it's completely healed, and no longer broken.
It doesn't mean if your bend it in the wrong direction again, in exactly the same way, exactly the same thing won't happen again.
Some people don't heal properly though, others do.

At to being fat causing diabetes, it did for me as well, so no, I don't in tend to overeat again.
I intend to not repeat the mistake of the past, I changed my eating habits, to simply eat less food.
A VLCD isn't misery to a lot of us.
Hang on though, @SunnyExpat . That broken leg analogy has a flaw. Broken leg may heal well with treatment, but will never be as good as before. As person ages there could be arthritis and other disfunction of the limb. Similar with pancreas? Once been subject to T2 damage never fully restored to full function?

Status
Not open for further replies.