Vegetable twisters/spiralizers

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Someone mentioned the Betty Bossi one, and in my search I discovered there are lots of different makes, and some are much cheaper. What have other people got? Is it the usual case of you get what you pay for?!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
We have a Lurch Spiralo. It was a bit more expensive but feels very sturdy.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the spiralizer, it's earned its £30 a thousand times over, I use is at least once a day, and make all sorts of stuff with it, just used it tonight to make red pepper pasta with chorizo and sweet chilli sauce, I use this blog a lot she has some amazing recipes - some higher in carbs than others but they can be modified. After my dishwasher it it the thing I couldn't do without!

http://www.inspiralized.com/blog/

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have the spiralizer, it's earned its £30 a thousand times over, I use is at least once a day, and make all sorts of stuff with it, just used it tonight to make red pepper pasta with chorizo and sweet chilli sauce, I use this blog a lot she has some amazing recipes - some higher in carbs than others but they can be modified. After my dishwasher it it the thing I couldn't do without!

http://www.inspiralized.com/blog/

Snap.. Although when I got married 20 years ago I did say to my hubby when he proposed "take me, take my dishwasher".. Nowadays the spiraliser would be added too!!

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been watching vids on Youtube and now I wish I had one already! Want courgette spaghetti for my tea!

Reactions: 4 people

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the Spiralizer by Inspiralized. I'd seen it discussed here, then saw the cookbook for it at a big box retailer but didn't know where to get one, and the choices online felt a bit overwhelming. Finally settled on the one used in the cookbook, Inspiralized by Ali Mufuci. I believe it's been redesigned once since its release. I have the new design, pictured here... http://inspiralized.com/ Trying to decide now which recipe to try first. :)

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am very happy with my small, simple, and easy to clean julienne peeler - and it cost under a fiver from Amazon. I would only consider a spiraliser if I had a larger kitchen!

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hedonista, which one did you get?

I think it's the Zoodle Chef or similar - very simple, cost about £10 - £15. It's easy to use with courgette, takes a bit more effort with celeriac. I usually fry some mushrooms in olive oil, add some soft goat cheese, and pesto, stir in the courgettes and cook briefly. Lots of black pepper and bob's yer uncle - delicious!

Reactions: 3 people

plantagenet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, if this thread is still going. Is there a technique to using these devices. I was given a JML one and I can't get a shred of carrot out of it. Should I ditch and go for something a bit more robust?

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was in 'The Range' at the w/e and they have a tabletop spiralizer for £10. Can't vouch for it as I already have one

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coriander leaf, chillis, celery, sausages,
I got one in the Range for £7.99, it has suction feet to fix it to the surface, and I love it, want to use it more than I do though. I've only used it for courgetti, but there isn't much else I can eat, since butternut squash and sweet potato are out. (unless I want to go over my carb allowance.)
Mine has 3 different slot in sections, 2 with both small holes for spaghetti or fettuccini and a wide blade for... dunno really as I haven't experimented much, but a wider blade like you'd use for wider strips of veg... and one slot in section with just a wide blade.
I've only used the very smallest blade, called the "Noodle Blade" as opposed to the "Large Noodle Blade" (gawd, such inventive names! Duh!) which I suspect would produce fettuccini, rather than spaghetti.
I did get left with a 'core' of courgette after making my courgetti, but not being inclined to waste stuff, I just chucked that in with all the rest... didn't bother me. And I got lovely roasted cheesy noodles as I put them in the oven - with cheese... mmmm!
The actual Spiralizer seems to be perfectly adequate for me, but I have seen others advertised on one of the shopping channels that has a box underneath to collect the spiralized veg, I think that one was called a 'Spudnik', but this one's fine for me.

Reactions: 4 people

plantagenet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks both. I'll look them up. I can't be doing with this JML thing.
FranOnTheEdge, have you tried Lindt 85% Cocoa chocolate. Once you get used to it it's great and only 1.9g carbs/square .

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coriander leaf, chillis, celery, sausages,
I've tried Lindt chocolate - I don't like it at all, it's too sharp, I've had Green & Blacks, much better, in fact anybody's is better than Lindt, but I'm not eating chocolate these days, too much sugar. I don't want any BS spikes, so I've cut it out totally.
But thanks anyway.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have got a Jamie Oliver vegetable peeler it has three different click on heads one makes vegetable spaghetti...get loads from one courgette... one makes julienne and the other is the normal vegetable peeler it is really quick to use takes up no room as it lives in the knife drawer. I really don't need another gadget on my work top and there is no room in the cupboards for any more