Advice on self testing Type 2

Actaeon70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Noise, drunk people
Either I am the biggest coward out here or else you are all unbothered by the finger pricking?
The very idea of sore finger tips puts me off trying self testing.
Is there another way please?

I know there are non-pricking test methods being developed, but I don't know how far along or advanced they are. I'm more than happy with finger pricking and insulin injections - I actually enjoy doing them, but then again I'm warped like that...

JohnGunning

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, one major point when self testing...... and that is the effect on blood sugar levels of other medication. In my case I was doing fine on diet, moderate exercise and gliclazide 80mg once a day. Blood tests showed that my cortisol were borderline so I was put on a small daily dose of hydrocortisone. My blood sugar levels went haywire. I consulted my diabetic nurse and was told this was bound to occur and not to worry too much about it, but to concentrate more on the HbA1c test results. So bear this in mind.....

lorsand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done,

Well done for the progress you have already. I understand your questions re testing and it does get confusing. I'm with you on that one but just stick at it and you'll win, I'm sure.

Anyway, a tip regarding finger pricks. Obviously you should wash your hands beforehand but, if you make sure you use hot water, (and not cold like I do ;) - I have to run 3 litres off before it comes hot downstairs! ) with hot water, you can use a lower number on your lancet unit as the blood is flowing that much more freely.

Good luck
I was also afraid of pricking my own finger (and I'm a Nurse!!!) but my pricker lets me chose a number to determine the depth of the 'stick' - I chose 1. I have found from my own and my patients' experience that if you kind of 'milk the finger as if milking a cows udder' you can usually get enough blood to test if your body is being a bit reluctant to give up it's blood. Also rotate the fingers you use and yes the sides are better because they are not as thick or calloused so don't require a deeper needle stick.

lewisdv

I was also afraid of pricking my own finger (and I'm a Nurse!!!) but my pricker lets me chose a number to determine the depth of the 'stick' - I chose 1. I have found from my own and my patients' experience that if you kind of 'milk the finger as if milking a cows udder' you can usually get enough blood to test if your body is being a bit reluctant to give up it's blood. Also rotate the fingers you use and yes the sides are better because they are not as thick or calloused so don't require a deeper needle stick.
I tend to use the palm of my hand for prick testing - less scary than fingers.