Alternative to bread

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hello I was diagnosed with predicates in February with a hba1c level of 45mm. In 11 weeks have lost 2 stone 7 pounds. still a lot more to lose, but going in the right direction. Have been using exercise bike lots and replaced white bread, pasta and rice with wholemeal varieties. Due to have follow up blood test next week but finding it really hard to cut out wholegrain/wholemeal bread completely - anyone know if there is such a thing as low carb bread or is this impossible?

lizf4619

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Burgen bread and Ludl protein roll are about half the carbs of wholemeal. There is an other Livlife bread from Waitrose - my local is 27 miles away and it's twice the price of Burgen.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lidl Protein roll is very good about 8g carbs a roll and half of it is enough.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried the Burgen bread and didn't like it. When I tried it again it tasted lovely. Things have now got to the point where if I didn''t have diabetes I would still eat the seedy bread. I'm hooked.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
I've found that a couple of slices of Vogels high grain bread hardly affects my BG, and it's really great. AFAIK though, it's only available at Waitrose.

plantagenet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found Newburn seeded farmhouse loaf which is gluten and wheat free at 31.3g carbs/100g good and so far no noticeable effect on my BG levels. I get it from Waitrose, but as its by Warburtons probably available elsewhere.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LivLife bread is great. Get a whole loaf and freeze it in 2/4 slices. Since I stop eating bread 4 months ago I can't say I miss it (the desire passes) but it's nice to have in for once in a while - defrosts super easy. It's only 3.8g of carbs per slice I think.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
LivLife bread is great. Get a whole loaf and freeze it in 2/4 slices. Since I stop eating bread 4 months ago I can't say I miss it (the desire passes) but it's nice to have in for once in a while - defrosts super easy. It's only 3.8g of carbs per slice I think.
Thanks for the advice.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can also make your own alternative breads (and cakes, shortcake, muffins too) using things like ground almonds, sesame seed, coconut, flaxseed , etc, flours. Some of these will be very low carb. Check our low carb recipes thread or ask Google for suitable recipes. I bake my own and also use Sukrin bread mixes - which are extremely low carb, but quite expensive.

Robbity

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
You can also make your own alternative breads (and cakes, shortcake, muffins too) using things like ground almonds, sesame seed, coconut, flaxseed , etc, flours. Some of these will be very low carb. Check our low carb recipes thread or ask Google for suitable recipes. I bake my own and also use Sukrin bread mixes - which are extremely low carb, but quite expensive.

Robbity
Many thanks