Dark Chocolate Recommendations

MarkyP123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
70% messed up my blood sugar but 90% worked OK (this is lindt BTW,)
I've just come back from holiday in Iceland and in the smallest supermarkets in little villages I was amazed to find several ranges of chocolate made using stevia that I had never seen in UK. I tried Balance dark chocolate with orange and it was very edible. They did a range of other flavours too. However having done a Google search I can only find the brand at Holland & Barrett and then only in milk and ordinary dark chocolate.
Went to Aldi today & they sell a range of Stevia chocolate bars. I've bought one & it's quite nice. Have to be careful with portion size though, as it can have a laxative affect.

Reactions: 4 people

Dicky1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Pound land do a nice big bar of dark chocolate which I find pretty good but then as a T2 for 35years I like any chocolate,
Even cooking chocolate so I guess I'm a bit of a chocoholic.Even so the diabetes seems to be under control as my last
Hba1c was 6.2. Keep smiling and remember every day above ground is a good day.

Cap'n M

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
EU27, CO2 Global Warming Scam, Theresa May, Comrade Boris Johnson.
LINDT 90% is the best dark chocolate in the world. :) :) :)

It is so chocolate and good. If you go lower than the 90%, it tastes grainy sugar, sweetner blecch.

You only need a tiny bit of a square and then savour it ....yum.

Amazing if you eat it with cashews, or a few raspberries etc.

Happy chocolate.

I agree, Lindt 90%, 3 x squares = 2.1G sucrose - not a problem. I thought about the Tescos Chocologic but it contains a shed-load of ingredients and sugar substitutes are probably not at all healthy. Lindt 90% contains only cocoa solids, cocoa butter, vanilla and a small amount of sucrose.

desidiabulum

Not a fan of Moser Roth, I'm afraid, but Hotel Chocolat do wonderful Colombian 75% and Vietnamese 80%. They are ridiculously expensive, which is very effective in keeping consumption down, so wins all round really. Very nice with a glass of Rioja, which also keeps BGs lower. Not too bad really, this diabetes lark....

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i really have to stop visiting this thread...:)...so much chocolate, so little time.

EdMac

I'm on the Lindt 90% at the moment, 2 squares is definitely enough to quell any enthusiasm for chocolate.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got some nice little choc bars from a new range in M&S last week - 5 little bars of dark choc espresso - really strong coffee taste apparently as much coffee as a 30ml espresso so you really have to like coffee - each little bar has 5.5g of carbs and although I don't eat much chocolate I really like these

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
Having avoid chocolate of 5 months.
I've justice tried Some Diablo Sugar Free Dark Chocolate with Hazelnuts its not bad, certainly I have tasted worse, but as it was only 3 for a £1 in Jack Fultons BBD of June 2016, I thought why not have a try.

I wouldn't pay full price £1.85 Holland and Barret.
It's a 85g bar had a quarter of a bar, it didn't effect my BGL at all.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Having avoid chocolate of 5 months.
I've justice tried Some Diablo Sugar Free Dark Chocolate with Hazelnuts its not bad, certainly I have tasted worse, but as it was only 3 for a £1 in Jack Fultons BBD of June 2016, I thought why not have a try.

I wouldn't pay full price £1.85 Holland and Barret.
It's a 85g bar had a quarter of a bar, it didn't effect my BGL at all.

Ooh.. Sugar free?? I Wouldn't touch that...Lidl or Lindt choc for me.

Just had a thought tho!! As my stomach doesn't work properly perhaps I ought to eat the sugar free to give me the runs!!!

Reactions: pjayem1964

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got some nice little choc bars from a new range in M&S last week - 5 little bars of dark choc espresso - really strong coffee taste apparently as much coffee as a 30ml espresso so you really have to like coffee - each little bar has 5.5g of carbs and although I don't eat much chocolate I really like these
that sounds delicious & yes..:) i do love my coffee.
also your weight loss is fantastic!! hope to get there one day.

Reactions: 2 people

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another vote here for Co-op Fairtrade 85% - it's absolutely gorgeous, somebody said earlier I think it's South American - it has a really unctuous fruity flavour and silky texture. Can't always find it though so regular (one square a day with a strong freshly brewed coffee with double cream) is Lindt 85%.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tried Hotel Chocolat fruit and nut 85% today - a nice surprise to find this. Really tasted and didn't affect my BG

Reactions: dbr10

Cap'n M

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
EU27, CO2 Global Warming Scam, Theresa May, Comrade Boris Johnson.
I've ditched Lindt 90% as I've discovered UK manufactured Montezuma's Absolute Black,100% Cocoa. Unlike Lindt 99% which tastes disgusting, the Montezuma is great, with <0.5% sugar content. It's expensive, at £2.60/100g but there's no need to eat a lot of it as it provides an enormous Cocoa hit! Waitrose is the only store that I've seen it in. Has anyone else tried this?

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've ditched Lindt 90% as I've discovered UK manufactured Montezuma's Absolute Black,100% Cocoa. Unlike Lindt 99% which tastes disgusting, the Montezuma is great, with <0.5% sugar content. It's expensive, at £2.60/100g but there's no need to eat a lot of it as it provides an enormous Cocoa hit! Waitrose is the only store that I've seen it in. Has anyone else tried this?
Yes I have had this really nice! They sell it on Booths up north :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What does "100% cocoa" mean, is it just a block of cocoa with no other ingredients?

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not had chocolate since diagnosis, have always found dark chocolate too bitter. Perhaps time to try it again. We all deserve a treat now and again x

Reactions: dbr10 and Moosepig