Diabetes manners

Annie86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi All

Had a slightly off putting experience i want to share with you all. Can you let me know if Im being sensitive!

Out to dinner with the inlaws to be last night and my sister in law told me not to inject at the table as it would make people uncomfortable.

My first thought was, ok fair enough but as I was doing my injection in the toilets I felt quite embarrassed and angry. Its not like I whip my stomach out and do show and tell with my injections!! And making people uncomfortable? How about having to do the injections for uncomfortable!!! Grrr!

I guess im still a bit miffed. I felt embarrassed for the first time in 5 years about something I really shouldnt have.

If someone is uncomfortable of course I wont be rude but felt the sister in law was embarrassed by it as opposed to uncomfortable.

Sensitive or not?

Hi @Lynz84.
I don't feel you're being over sensitive at all. I had a similar experience several years ago when I was on injections rather than the pump where my friend asked me not to do it at the table as people were watching and staring.
It is embarrassing and makes a far bigger deal of it than it ought to be. Embarrassment is obviously going to take a part as well as anger and to some extent discomfort of being in that particular persons company.
Alongside this is the hygiene factor of injecting in a public toilet. We wouldn't ask them to go and take their tablets elsewhere or such like.
Is it worth trying to speak to her separately to ask why she felt this way and explain the way her comments made you feel?
I have never been and neither has my friend ever made a show of giving ourselves our insulin whether in public or private. You did not ask for diabetes or indeed to inject, but it is something we have to do to survive. No one has the right to make you feel insecure or embarrassed which we do enough to ourselves without their help.
Have a quiet word and try to resolve it to prevent future situations such as this, but keep in your heart that you weren't over sensitive or in the wrong.

Best of luck and let us know if you reach some form of a resolve

Anna xxx

Reactions: 2 people

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Josephine!

Your post has been on my mind for a couple of days, so I hope you'll forgive me for butting in on this thread...

In fact, one is considered to have a disability under the Equality Act 2010 if one has "a substantial or long-term physical or mental impairment that has a negative effect on one's ability to perform a normal daily activity". So, as we have a long-term condition which has a negative effect on our ability to control our blood sugar levels, unfortunately that means we are considered to have a disability.

I really hope you don't decide to break up with Steve because of what he said. I understand how a chance remark can cause us to re-evaluate a relationship, but from an outsider's point of view he seems like a lovely, caring and supportive man who feels pain at what he perceives as your suffering, because he loves you. I don't see that as pitying, but I understand how it could be misinterpreted...

I've been registered as disabled for the past 15 years following an accident, but have never believed that defines me as a person. How I handle it does. (And the signature you've chosen on your profile seems to support that view.)

Diabetes is another bump in the road, but if you share your life with someone who loves and wants to support you in your journey, you are truly blessed!

Big hugs xx

Hello Debrasue,
Firstly, I feel the need to thank you for taking the time to read my post, think about it and write a reply. I also wish to thank you for the kind and mellow way that you address to me, I very much appreciate your sensitive approach.

I also feel the need to thank Lynz84 for giving me space in her thread so as I may reply. This is not my thread, it is Lynz’s thread so I am reluctant to discuss my approach regarding my own situation.
However, my post is related to diabetes manners so, I feel it is relevant to the subject that we are discussing.

Allow me to tell you a brief story. When I was young(er) ;) as a University student, I was obligated by the curriculum to take the course “Classical Political Philosophies”. On the first day that we entered the class, our professor (who was an elderly man, and looked as if Freud and Aristotle had a baby) drew on the board two concentric circles, one wider than the other. He said that one circle is the “legal”; the other circle is the “ethical”. Legal and ethical may co-incide but, in some cases, what is legal, is not necessarily ethical (and it, certainly, is not necessarily kind.)

This is something that always followed me in my life. You may have noticed that, sometimes, we hear about a practice that a political/wealthy person has conducted which is, indeed, within legal boundaries (hence he is not prosecuted) however, the social feeling is that his practice is, in fact, unjust and unethical (and, certainly, not kind towards society.)

I will transfer this to our current discussion.
Indeed, we are legally described as “disabled”. However, the fact that the law is giving us this description doesn’t make the description ethical nor kind.

As a result, I would not particularly mind if the law address to me as a disabled person yet, I am not satisfied when a person close to me, a relative, a friend, a partner addresess to me by my “legal term” because I expect from these people to be kind.

When it comes to diabetes, (as well as other challenging conditions) a well-mannered person is not a "legally compliant" person; instead, he/she is a kind and sensitive person.

Which brings me to my second point where “efforts become hard to watch”.

In my view, this is not how to encourage someone to keep fighting. The phrase in itself reveals an approach which suggests that every effort is painful and futile. I feel that we need to empower people by congratulating them for trying, for doing their best, for not giving up.

I read threads in this forum every day and I see good people who strive and worry and try and fall on their knees and get tired; who abandon themselves and ask for help and encouragement because they want to find the inner strength to keep on fighting. Telling them that the effort is too great and painful is not a way to inspire them to continue.

Therefore, I honestly feel that we should stop providing excuses to adults who are rude, insensitive, clumsy with their words and unkind. From a child, I would expect and forgive an unkind approach but, I do expect from adults to demonstrate some kind of sensitivity even for reasons of formality and/or political correctness.

Thank you very much for reading my post.
I wish you all a fine day and I hope that your levels are on fleek!!
Regards
Josephine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 people

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I'm out in the street and I see two people kissing, I hate to see it. However, that's not their problem, it's mine. I have neck muscles and I can choose not to look. Similarly, you're doing nothing wrong by injecting in public. If someone doesn't like it, there are other places to look. Their opinions should have no bearing on where you choose to inject.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to weigh in, although I may be the exception - I would say it was not at all unreasonable to ask someone not to inject at the table. If this was me I wouldn't think twice about the request as everyone is different and you should probably wash your hands before eating anyway so you're going to be in the washroom prior to the meal anyway.

I would see no difference here between someone saying "Please do not inject at the table as it may make people uncomfortable" or someone saying "Please do not discuss politics/religion/money at the table, it may make people uncomfortable" or to a lesser exten "Please do not burp at the table, it may make people uncomfortable" - its just something that can be added to the list of questionable etiquette in certain situations/company. Nothing personal on either end, just a preference.

Injecting is a necessary part of our lives, but no one else's so it may make others uncomfortable or question it. There are times when this objection is okay and it can be discussed, but also there are times when its best to just tip toe around it just to spare the discussion to save the spotlight and just move on with more pressing/interesting topics.

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello Debrasue,
Firstly, I feel the need to thank you for taking the time to read my post, think about it and write a reply. I also wish to thank you for the kind and mellow way that you address to me, I very much appreciate your sensitive approach.

I also feel the need to thank Lynz84 for giving me space in her thread so as I may reply. This is not my thread, it is Lynz’s thread so I am reluctant to discuss my approach regarding my own situation.
However, my post is related to diabetes manners so, I feel it is relevant to the subject that we are discussing.

Allow me to tell you a brief story. When I was young(er) ;) as a University student, I was obligated by the curriculum to take the course “Classical Political Philosophies”. On the first day that we entered the class, our professor (who was an elderly man, and looked as if Freud and Aristotle had a baby) drew on the board two concentric circles, one wider than the other. He said that one circle is the “legal”; the other circle is the “ethical”. Legal and ethical may co-incide but, in some cases, what is legal, is not necessarily ethical (and it, certainly, is not necessarily kind.)

This is something that always followed me in my life. You may have noticed that, sometimes, we hear about a practice that a political/wealthy person has conducted which is, indeed, within legal boundaries (hence he is not prosecuted) however, the social feeling is that his practice is, in fact, unjust and unethical (and, certainly, not kind towards society.)

I will transfer this to our current discussion.
Indeed, we are legally described as “disabled”. However, the fact that the law is giving us this description doesn’t make the description ethical nor kind.

As a result, I would not particularly mind if the law address to me as a disabled person yet, I am not satisfied when a person close to me, a relative, a friend, a partner addresess to me by my “legal term” because I expect from these people to be kind.

When it comes to diabetes, (as well as other challenging conditions) a well-mannered person is not a "legally compliant" person; instead, he/she is a kind and sensitive person.

Which brings me to my second point where “efforts become hard to watch”.

In my view, this is not how to encourage someone to keep fighting. The phrase in itself reveals an approach which suggests that every effort is painful and futile. I feel that we need to empower people by congratulating them for trying, for doing their best, for not giving up.

I read threads in this forum every day and I see good people who strive and worry and try and fall on their knees and get tired; who abandon themselves and ask for help and encouragement because they want to find the inner strength to keep on fighting. Telling them that the effort is too great and painful is not a way to inspire them to continue.

Therefore, I honestly feel that we should stop providing excuses to adults who are rude, insensitive, clumsy with their words and unkind. From a child, I would expect and forgive an unkind approach but, I do expect from adults to demonstrate some kind of sensitivity even for reasons of formality and/or political correctness.

Thank you very much for reading my post.
I wish you all a fine day and I hope that your levels are on fleek!!
Regards
Josephine.
Hey there Josephine

What a response from you! Eloquent and dare I say....justified. I too do not like that label and would not appreciate this from people close to me. Have you decided on a course of action?

Private message me if you like. Would be lovely to speak with you x

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Beautiful response from Josephine. I wish I was as eloquent. My response was "I'll inject the toilets if you'll eat your meal in there. No, I didn't think so." My other favourite response is f. Off and grow up you ......... Head.
I wish I had Josephine's communication skills. I'd probably have friends if I did.

Reactions: 10 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I like to use unhelpful thinking styles around scenarios that have been listed.

One that comes to my mind with injecting scenario is the use of critical words like "should" "must" or "ought"...(to inject in toilets).... All of those words can make us feel less valued, guilty or failures... And when they are used in certain terms make the other person feel frustrated...

It doesn't help us... But when people use such wording it frustrates the heck out of me....

I think in handling life in so many angles those 3 words (or similar ones aren't helpful) but it is due to others and their way of thinking... Not to make it our problem and to rise above it is important.

"Willing to help you with your disability because it is so painful to see you try so hard" is also a form of giving us "unhelpful thinking styles" it makes us notice our failures and not our successes: it assigns a label to us which could be "i'm completely useless, or I'm a loser" it makes us disqualify the positive.... And this is hugely important for our mental health... It could make people discount the good things that have happened (like a good meal) etc.

A lot of negative thoughts can be brought about from that remark ref disability but it was in all honesty probably genuinely meant that he genuinely is proud of you but so wishes he could take some of the processes that we have to do a way.

I see everyday how much my hubby tries to help me and to be honest some of my reactions are quite harsh because he tries so hard to lighten my load. Ie. I say to him "this afternoon I'll go to Tesco and do the shopping" his first reaction used to be " shall we both go this morning"
(He works late shifts). After explaining rather snappily that I need to feel useful and less of a burden.. I just have to look at him in a set way and he realises that he's taking my purpose away from me... But with all good intentions.... He just doesn't like to see me struggle. Our frustration sometimes needs to be talked about rather than being overly broad in drawing conclusions on people that in their thought processes are thinking the opposite to us.. We may not want help.. But its in their nature to want to offer it....

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
must say i have injected in the toilets,not because i've been asked too but because it was just easier at the time. mind you, i inject through my clothes so not hygienic either. oh well.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you must be the exception...

Public toilets are dirty, unhygienic places. Places for poo & wee, not injecting life saving medication!

We're not injecting just for the sake of it. Injecting insulin is not comparable to discussing politics. Discussing politics is not going to enable someone to remain healthy. In fact, discussing such matters makes me quite ill. Especially in the current climate.

It seems like I am lol
I am a T1D like the rest of you, so I obviously know why we inject. I guess I just don't take my diabetes as seriously as the rest of you - I try to remain light hearted about the whole matter.
That's no matter, we all act differently with different opinions, they are all valid.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It seems like I am lol
I am a T1D like the rest of you, so I obviously know why we inject. I guess I just don't take my diabetes as seriously as the rest of you - I try to remain light hearted about the whole matter.
That's no matter, we all act differently with different opinions, they are all valid.
I can respect that.

For me, it's not an issue of being offended. I just don't like being told what to do. If I'm in a business meeting I will choose to inject in the bathroom because I don't want to be the topic of conversation for the next 30 minutes (or at least because of that).

However, if someone TELLS me to inject in the bathroom, that's something I don't respond well too.

Reactions: 7 people