Trying to keep motivated

Willow_14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@debrasue thank you so so much, I don't think until today I had ever thought of diabetes as a good thing as in possessing skills or gaining wisdom by it but u have made me relise that it can and I am very grateful for it :)

Reactions: 3 people

Annie86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi willow.
I was diagnosed with type 1 at the age of 12. At first I did everything you were told to do ... took injections testing blood glucose etc .... mid teens I became a bit of a rebel and decided it wasn't worth it. Became ignorant of the fact I was diabetic. Ignored blood glucose testing and to some degree injections.
I realised pretty quickly that this wasn't helpful. Ignoring it didn't work it just made me feel rotten and fatigued.
I sorted myself out (a lot of hard work) and although results aren't precisely where I want to be they are amazingly better.
I'm now 30 have been to uni trained as a nurse. I have since undertaken a masters degree and have worked my way up in my career.
The only time it has stopped me is when I have allowed it to get the better of me. It's not easy and it can feel like a real roller coaster at times but you will get there. Unfortunately my rebellious times have left me with kidney and eye troubles related to the diabetes.
I know sometimes you have to learn from your own mistakes but please stay strong and keep working hard at it. Keep yourself well and enjoy what life has to offer.
See if you can find a school friend that has diabetes that you could have regular moaning or chat sessions with
You may find that your diabetes centre has a list of t1 diabetics who are willing to buddy up for support.
Keep your head high. Ensure when taking exams you have all the appropriate things with you such as glucose tabs (I went hypo in my French gcse and dropped my pen on the floor promptly following it lol)
By all means when low or needing extra support (not parent focussed) type a new post, have a rant. Point is we keep supporting each other. Xxxxxx

Reactions: 4 people

Willow_14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@debrasue yesterday was OK, for some reason my blood sugar was really high all day so that put me down a bit but I am hoping for a better day today

How was your day?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@Willow_14 Try not to let a 'high' day dampen your spirits, they will happen it's developing a positive mindset to know how to change your insulin requirements and be the manager of your diabetes, so please don't let it get to you.

Each day to me is a new/fresh start with diabetes, so forget what happened yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow just work on today and stay positive ;)

Reactions: 2 people
D

debrasue

@debrasue yesterday was OK, for some reason my blood sugar was really high all day so that put me down a bit but I am hoping for a better day today

How was your day?
Good girl! (Love the new avatar, btw!) I hope you got the better day you were looking for today.
My day started off well but rapidly went downhill - hurt my shoulder trying to shift some furniture, You'd think I would have known better, wouldn't you?
Ah well, tomorrow's another day - let's hope it's a good one for both of us!
:)

Reactions: 2 people