First Eye Screening Nerves

mizloco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am going for my first eye screening tomorrow morning and after being quite irritated all day by everything and everybody I have realised I am nervous and worried.
I notice my eyes can be blurry in the morning and evening, sometimes stinging. I have not researched too much as I can sometimes diagnose myself unnecessarily.
I have the day off and a lift to and from the hospital sorted out, so all the practical stuff done. I am not good with fear and anxiety so can cover it up with intolerance or anger and it takes a while for the penny to drop.
Any words of wisdom welcomed

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good idea getting a lift as the eye drops can make your vision blurry. Hope it all goes well @mizloco and do lets know how you get on.

Reactions: 4 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I've had two eye screenings done so far and they're nothing to worry about. Eye drops are administered and then you have to wait in the waiting room for about 15 minutes. Back in to see the nurse and you then have two photos taken of each eye (well at least that's what they did for me). Absolutely nothing to get concerned about. The only down side is that the drops may sting a little. Either blink like mad or close your eyes and it wears off within seconds.

Do take sunglasses with you as the outside light is super bright whilst your pupils are dilated. After about 3-4 hours you're back to normal and you'll wonder why you got anxious. :)

Reactions: 8 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Big hug I promise you will be fine, good advice from June, just try and relax as much as possible, so lots of deep breaths and a good magazine while you wait. After the drops are administered as June has said it takes 15 mins and the second appointment is over very quickly, just a quick photo of each eye, I can always see mine on the screen they look like planets from outer space, I love this bit as I find the photos fascinating, they don't give you results there and then it takes about 2 weeks, but yes definately take sunglasses as your eyes will still feel the effects for up to 4-6 hours later, let us know how you get on ;)

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Not sure about taking a magazine with you @Juicyj. I noticed my vision changed whilst I waited. Notices on the walls that I could read before the drops, I couldn't read afterwards. Perhaps I'm just an oddity.........:(

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry I meant for before the drops @June_C just for distraction, after the eye drops my daughter had to hold a magazine up 6 feet away for me to read. Made for much amusement at the time !

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Apologies, misunderstood you. Nice to know I'm not an oddity after all ;)

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi mizloco, Take it from me you will be fine, I was so nervous in Jan this year when I went for mine I nearly cancelled it. I went in really nervous no problems at all the eye drops did sting a bit I can describe as stinging like when you peel onions for about 20 seconds. So do not worry, I came out and thought to myself what was all that about. :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had many of these now and you will be fine. The staff at my local hospital are very friendly and good. You will almost certainly have blurred vision and difficulty with too much light for a good few hours so don't drive and take sunglasses as well as you normal glasses. I've never had any pain or stinging at all.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Courage. Of course you are worried. You are human! Be brave, it will be okay. As all the above, and don't forget the sunglasses.

Good luck

mizloco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone. I went this morning after only a few hours sleep due to worrying. The staff were lovely and explained what they were going to do. The drops did sting, bit like getting your mascara in your eyes. My vision was blurry for a couple of hours or so and I am still a bit light sensitive now. Definitely needed the sunglasses.
I get my results in a couple of weeks time so I'm just hoping everything is going to be OK. Thank you for the support and advice.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Pleased it all went well @mizloco, at least now you've been you won't be so apprehensive the next time, again good luck.

Reactions: 4 people

mizloco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just received my results and I have background retinopathy. As with everything else so far with diabetes...here's a leaflet...now off you go. I feel angry at the lack of support and communication you get from the medical profession. Sorry for the rant, I will have a nice collection of leaflets at this rate.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Sorry to hear that. It is the same result that I had with a suggestion that I talk with my GP about it.