Help! New Driver, Type 1 Diabetes - DVLA and Insurance

davidjsbrown

Hi!

I'm very new to all this - so apologies if I'm doing it wrong haha!

I recently passed my driving test and am now looking at insurance for a first car. I have also recently sent off my form to the DVLA to inform them of my Type 1 Diabetes, (I probably should have done this even before I started lessons, but didn't actually know I had too - oops).

On a lot of these insurance applications it gives the options for medical info as follows:

DVLA - AWARE - NO RESTRICTIONS
DVLA AWARE - 1 YEAR RESTRICTION
DVLA AWARE - 2 YEAR RESTRICTION

and so on...

Now I am a bit confused...

Do I just wait for a response after they have reviewed my info? I called the DVLA and they said they had received my application but it may take almost 2 weeks to hear back due to it being 'busy'.

Annoying as I'm sure like most new drivers, I just want to get going!

I assume I have to wait to hear back from the DVLA before going ahead and getting insurance - buying a car?

Could some also explain the year restrictions and what exactly they mean and how they occur?

Any advice from diabetic young drivers would help.. as I said, this is all new and confusing haha!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry dude you need to wait. Basically depending on how well you are managed will depend on the length of your licence.

without knowing which one is correct could affect your insurance (if its valid rather than the cost) so it just isnt worth it. I'm amazed you were allowed to start lessons without informing DVLA tbh.

davidjsbrown

Sorry dude you need to wait. Basically depending on how well you are managed will depend on the length of your licence.

without knowing which one is correct could affect your insurance (if its valid rather than the cost) so it just isnt worth it. I'm amazed you were allowed to start lessons without informing DVLA tbh.

Hi mate,

Thanks for replying! I shall wait it out then!

When you say length of licence, is that what the restrictions are that they talk about?

The better managed - the longer the amount of years?

I have never had a hypo where I have needed assistance - well managed - seen my consultant in the last 12 months etc... I see no reason for them not to allow me... fingers crossed.

I had my provisional a year or two before I got diagnosed, and never told them... I hope this doesn't affect my report back from the DVLA...

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah thats the restriction, you need to fill out forms and have your licence renewed every 1/2/3 years. You should get a 3 year licence without any major issue, I have and never had less.

Sorry I cant help more!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi mate,

Thanks for replying! I shall wait it out then!

When you say length of licence, is that what the restrictions are that they talk about?

The better managed - the longer the amount of years?

I have never had a hypo where I have needed assistance - well managed - seen my consultant in the last 12 months etc... I see no reason for them not to allow me... fingers crossed.

I had my provisional a year or two before I got diagnosed, and never told them... I hope this doesn't affect my report back from the DVLA...
Hi,
A 3 year licence is the maximum they will give an insulin dependant D till the next "revue" as to your eligibility to drive when the licence is due to expire.. DVLA will contact your doc & providing you have had no debilitating hypoglycaemic episodes needing medical assistance? All should be cool..
You will be legally required to test & be 5mmol or above before you drive. & test ever two hours if on the road.. "Think of it like driving under the influence?" If caught below the "5 to drive" rule..

Don't worry about the provisional licence "discrepancy" regarding declaring the D. You've straightened it out with DVLA now.. ;)

All they wanna know is are you a liability regarding hypo awareness & fitness to drive a motor vehicle..

davidjsbrown

Cheers for the advise guys! Do you know roughly how long it takes for them to get back after you send the forms off? Frustrating not being able to do anything until they reply!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Cheers for the advise guys! Do you know roughly how long it takes for them to get back after you send the forms off? Frustrating not being able to do anything until they reply!

Give them a fortnight, if you don't get word back then give them a ring and ask what is happening with your licence, although the DVLA do come under a lot of criticism I've always found them helpful on the phone. Good luck.