diabete and metformin

graeme5

hi my mother had diabetes mellitus and was takeing 4 tablets of metformin tablets she had heart disease that the docter new about and high blood pressure. it says in the leflet for metformin that it can cause heart disease and a heart attack and death my mother died of heart dissease and diabetes mellitus in 2009 and kidney failure i beleave she should have not been takeing 4 tablets of metformin that the docter told her to take she should have been takeing only one metfomin tablet

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Many people take the full 4 tablet 2000mg; I did for years. I suspect it is only a worry for those with existing heart conditions or are quite old and sadly GPs aren't always good at reading their notes on conditions. The tablets may well have had nothing to do with your Mother's death but sadly you will never know.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Many people take the full 4 tablet 2000mg; I did for years. I suspect it is only a worry for those with existing heart conditions or are quite old and sadly GPs aren't always good at reading their notes on conditions. The tablets may well have had nothing to do with your Mother's death but sadly you will never know.
http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar...=0ahUKEwismveaiKLMAhXlKsAKHZ9GCekQgAMIGygAMAA
This paper appears to be an InterMed paper being used for further research, but may help you to read it. Metformin is noted for its health benefits, and in reducing the incidence of CVE in diabetic patients.

The following is probably from a better source, and says much the same
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23528671

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
i beleave she should have not been takeing 4 tablets of metformin that the docter told her to take she should have been takeing only one metfomin tablet

Assuming that we're talking about 500 mg tablets, it's probable that 1 tablet would have had no effect on her BG and that's why I believe lots of diabetics will be taking 1.5 gms or 2 gms a day.
Here's a quote from the UK Prospective Diabetes Study Group: Effect of intensive blood glucose control with metformin on complications in overweight patients with type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 34). printed in the Lancet 352:854–865, 1998 "This highly effective and usually well-tolerated oral agent is, to date, the only one demonstrated to reduce cardiovascular disease (CVD) complications in newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic patients".
There's so many things, including other medications which affect us, Metformin is probably well down the list if on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

LannyHawk

My clinic tried to put me on Metformin. I told them of my constant back/hip pain and asked about side effects.
They said the main one was muscle pain, I asked them if they had heard what I said and they looked at me like I was from outer space. Diet and weight loss has taken my A1c from 7.3 to 5.9 but they could care less because I don't blindly follow their instructions.
My blood pressure baseline is 115/68 to 120/72 but they are trying to put me on high blood pressure medicine. I think it's pretty good for a 45 year old much less a 75 year old like me.
I was a heavy smoker for 60 years 6 months and a few days but quit a year ago.They are still reporting me as a smoker.
I'm writing this because a good friend was diagnosed last year and he is a doctor's delight; taking whatever they prescribe.As a result, He is now fighting kidney/liver/BP and BG problems. Thankfully he found a different doctor who is helping him off the drugs and is monitoring the problems they caused.
MD's have a purpose but they are not gods and should be questioned.
Of course, I'm In America where big pharma owns the medical profession. Meds are the answer to everything.

Edited by a mod to remove potentially offensive comment

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

WitchettyGrub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="LannyHawk, post: 1137892, member: 259092" Ever since I declined Metformin and a statin they treat me like I'm a redheaded step child.[/QUOTE]

Haha. Love it Lanny! And good on you for taking responsibility for your own health, rather than following instructions blindly.

IanCoghlan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You need to have not smoked for more than a year before you will be counted as a non smoker. I think it was 15 years for me before I was considered clear of the effects.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My clinic tried to put me on Metformin. I told them of my constant back/hip pain and asked about side effects.
They said the main one was muscle pain, I asked them if they had heard what I said and they looked at me like I was from outer space. Ever since I declined Metformin and a statin they treat me like I'm a redheaded step child. Diet and weight loss has taken my A1c from 7.3 to 5.9 but they could care less because I don't blindly follow their instructions.
My blood pressure baseline is 115/68 to 120/72 but they are trying to put me on high blood pressure medicine. I think it's pretty good for a 45 year old much less a 75 year old like me.
I was a heavy smoker for 60 years 6 months and a few days but quit a year ago.They are still reporting me as a smoker.
I'm writing this because a good friend was diagnosed last year and he is a doctor's delight; taking whatever they prescribe.As a result, He is now fighting kidney/liver/BP and BG problems. Thankfully he found a different doctor who is helping him off the drugs and is monitoring the problems they caused.
MD's have a purpose but they are not gods and should be questioned.
Of course, I'm In America where big pharma owns the medical profession. Meds are the answer to everything.
Nope. Accountants and shareholders are everything......Meds are their financial life support system.

WillRoberts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with T2 on 29/1/16 and immediately prescribed Metformin and having a touching faith in doctors took for the first week. During that week I did some research and decided on a different approach and stopped taking the meds. As of now, I have lost 3 st and got my BG under control. The diabetic nurse wittered on about saying that my achievement was due to using a low fat diet which I challenged by saying that was NOT what I had been following, but instead used a low carb regime. I don't think she was listening though as her parting comment was "Keep up the low fat diet!"
I just suggested that she might want to keep up with the research.
It is depressing that the medical profession still regard medication as the solution to all ills.

Reactions: 2 people

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
They said the main one was muscle pain

Metformin can cause a build up of lactic acid and in serious cases can lead to lactic acidosis. For me it's like I've walked 20 miles and tolerable, unlike the muscle pain I experienced as a result of taking statins which prevents the uptake of CoQ10.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin can cause a build up of lactic acid and in serious cases can lead to lactic acidosis. For me it's like I've walked 20 miles and tolerable, unlike the muscle pain I experienced as a result of taking statins which prevents the uptake of CoQ10.
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/27/7/1791.full
This study describes the role of Metformin with lactic acidosis.
Another website I use has this paper
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/827622

The association between statins and CoQ10 loss is I think as yet unproven in any trial, but there is anecdotal evidence that using a CoQ10 supplement can be beneficial (but expensive)/ Certainly the association between statins and muscle pain is quite well documented, and I have personal experience from most of the major ones I have tried.