Prolactin level

Abby's

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there everyone. Has anyone else discovered that their prolactin level is high? I don't really know much about it. I just know that mine is slightly higher than it should be. I don't know if it has anything to do with diabetes.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Hi there everyone. Has anyone else discovered that their prolactin level is high? I don't really know much about it. I just know that mine is slightly higher than it should be. I don't know if it has anything to do with diabetes.
There seems to be a number of reasons for high prolactin levels, was there a reason for testing? It's more likely in women than men. Sometimes a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but this link has a list of possible reasons.
https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003718.htm

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Thanks @Totto

Do you know how high your prolactin is?
It is a hormone with a wide range, from virtually nothing, to pregnant levels, to lactating levels, to very very high for issues with the pituitry gland.

If it is only slightly raised it may just be due to stress.
Would that ring any bells?

I am not aware of there being a direct link with D, maybe have a google.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There seems to be a number of reasons for high prolactin levels, was there a reason for testing? It's more likely in women than men. Sometimes a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but this link has a list of possible reasons.
https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003718.htm

When looking at levels, it is very important to check the units (in other words, check the test units match what you are looking at on the internet). I made this mistake once, and thought 'how odd. I shouldn't still be alive then...' :D But felt much better when i got the units un-muddled!

Abby's

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My prolactin level was over two thousand. I don't know what all of this means but having an MRI scan. Are you on the treatment for it? Does it help?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. My prolactin level at its highest was about 2,400 i think.
They did an MRI scan and found a 6mm benign tumour pumping out excess P.
I take a drug called cabergoline for it, and now run at P levels of between 500 and 800 (they test annually). Normal is (I think) 0-50 for most women, up to around 4-500 for lactating women. But so long as I take my tabs and get tested every year, I kind of forget about it the rest of the time. No side effects from drug. It does make weight loss more difficult, and it seems to affect my appetite (raises it), and I believe affects insulin resistance too, but in the grand scheme of things, I am glad to say that it impacts my life very little, day to day. :)

Best estimates are that i had the tumour for 15-20 years before any doc listened to me and ran the tests.

Have you had a good google? I found it very helpful and reassuring. Although of course the fact that i was still alive 20 yrs after the problem had started was the most reassuring thing. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people