Intermittent fasting: 14/10-16/8, 5:2, 24-hr fast, 20-hr fast

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
to be honest I'm struggling now after such low calorie low carb for first week or so
Im on 3rd week and have indulged in pizza chocolate and cake this weekend and i regret it , energy has lowered, I'm sadder, and my sugar levels have been spiking of course. I'm back on it and finding it harder than i did last week. :(
do you find stevia increases blood sugar?
I have only one spoon in my 1 coffee in the morning and it spike o.6 and i use lactofree milk.
As for your struggles..
If you do low calorie AND low carb diet..it is hard to keep it going for long and it might be too strict for your body....something has to give if you don't feed your body's needs correctly. Maybe you need to have a good look at your diet and what you choose to eat and what you are aiming to achieve with your diet.
LCHF is good diet if you aiming to get your blood sugar levels under control....the amount of carbs you choose to eat will show in your readings...keeping protein intake adequate (note! too much protein can raise your blood sugars, FATs don't !) and feed you body's energy needs with fats/oil and you don't feel real hunger, temptations yes, but that is then down to your will power. How tight carb control you keep and eating just enough rest of the things for not feeling actual hunger will get you weight down too. Other than keeping eye on carb contents, you don't have to count calories or even aware of them. The main thing is finding the balance of enough fats that will keep you sated so you don't have to struggle with hunger.
Once you tummy gets used to lighter feeling and those hunger messages start to die down...you can then easily bring fasting into the picture..one will follow after other quite naturally.
Take time to get your basic diet right...eat correctly adjust your blood sugars and rest will follow..;)

ChelleQ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm new here. I have a fb LCHF group. I've been doing LCHF for 9 months very strict. No cheats ever. During that 9 months my type 2 diabetes is awesome but I'm not losing a pound. I have done LCHF over the years and have lost 180 lbs and I have 20 left to go. Someone mentioned 5.2 intermittent fasting to me. I understand the way to do it but I don't understand how my sugar won't rise on off days. Any information and help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
. Someone mentioned 5.2 intermittent fasting to me. I understand the way to do it but I don't understand how my sugar won't rise on off days. Any information and help on this would be greatly appreciated.
All fasting, what ever time scale you are doing it is base on the 'idea' that your body has energy/fat reserves to live off while you are withholding from food intake. Your liver has some for 'quick release', once that is used up it starts converting your stored fat into useable form and releasing it into blood stream...hence you blood sugars should stay stable and don't dip or rise too much.
That's the theory..
.. in practice it might not be quite as straight forward as our body's can and do some 'funny' things that may make things bit difficult. Medications can make things 'difficult' or alter how blood sugar levels would be normally regulated...maybe one's body is not able to regulate its blood sugar levels anymore....but those are possible complications that may or may not change things.
If you are on medication, you need to take them into your consideration and what effect those might have to your blood sugar levels while fasting.
I hope I understood you question correctly for my answer.

As for your weight loss issues...fasting might prove to be that little 'jump start' that is needed to get your weight down again, but have your tried fasting any shorter periods at first? ...say daily 14-16 hours. The main thing is that you don't then 'play catch up' when you start eating again. It is simply a meal or two missed while not eating. Good thing with shorter fasting sessions is that if you are on medication..it will give you trial run to your body's reactions and it is much easier to alter your diet and/or meds to keep things going well.
If you haven't fasted before, start gently...do plenty of blood tests while at it and if all goes well, start increasing the length of fasting time or frequency gradually.

Last edited by a moderator:

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Well...start of my fasting attempt is coming closer now. I've been on preparation for it for few days. I had few little bit more relaxed diet days recently for my mother being over for her holidays and since she has gone back I've kept my carb intake quite low...I can now 'feel' first signs of ketones breath coming on...:rolleyes:
I have plenty of chicken broth boiled and frozen to last me at least a week! Last couple of days I've fasted 16 hrs and today I take it into 18 hrs...shrinking my tummy 'sack' smaller again and hopefully avoiding worst adjustment symptoms for the fast.
I do hope I can push it for full week this time...though I might have some other hurdles to face. I'm not mentally 100% ready for it..I want to do it but I'm not as eager as last time. But it will be good and interesting trial again how ever it will turn out:D
I kind of look forward to for tomorrow.....o_O

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I`m back after another little hiatus...like a bad penny huh!
Been doing stict LCHF for past few weeks and doing 16:8 everyday, last week I have had 2 x 24 hr fasts which I found surprisingly easy, would like to do more but going to try and take it slowly-ish at first, lost 14 lbs in 5 weeks kept BG under control and off my insulin (for now), whenever felt hungry just had water or broth or both and by the time you have had that you are thinking about something else :) watched a few items by Dr. Jason Fung and currently subbed to DietDoctor, good luck with the week long fast Finsky, let us know how you got on.

Reactions: 4 people

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I`m back after another little hiatus...like a bad penny huh!
Been doing stict LCHF for past few weeks and doing 16:8 everyday, last week I have had 2 x 24 hr fasts which I found surprisingly easy, would like to do more but going to try and take it slowly-ish at first, lost 14 lbs in 5 weeks kept BG under control and off my insulin (for now), whenever felt hungry just had water or broth or both and by the time you have had that you are thinking about something else :) watched a few items by Dr. Jason Fung and currently subbed to DietDoctor, good luck with the week long fast Finsky, let us know how you got on.
Did you find it 'surprisingly easy' because you were in right mind frame to do it or was it down to 'because it was easy'...as simple as that?
I'm going to do this attempt like a 'on line diary' and update my progress on here. Not so much as to announce my progress for others but keeping myself busy taking my mind off from the kitchen..:rolleyes: I'm already finding that I have to battle with myself :banghead:
I'm just waiting right time to have my evening meal and that's it then. How long I will last, time will only tell...week is just hopeful idea...more likely I take it day at the time...or hour at the time...:rolleyes:
Already feeling really hungry, head achy and cold today and I haven't even started properly yet!!:banghead::coldfeet:
Oh, this is going to be one of those 'indulging-myself-with-suffering-moments' -good idea :rolleyes: It will 'blow over'....eventually....:sour:

zicksi101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck with the week long fast Finsky, sounds tough!

My intermittent fasting recently has been, well, intermittent! I was on holiday last week so I relaxed a bit and allowed some carbs to be honest, it worked out fine while I was away because I was also drinking alcohol to suppress the liver dump. :)

I got down to 13u on my evening basal (a 3u reduction) so I know this stuff works, however I'm back to 15u at the moment. That's working okay but recent experience tells me I need to work the dose down to give myself some wriggle room going forward.

Since getting back I've been doing my usual 12/12 and resumed weight training which is getting me back on track. I'll try a 24h fast tomorrow with the purpose of testing basals, however I'll just need to see how far I get because I need to avoid hypo/hyper during the test of course!

Reactions: 2 people

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Did you find it 'surprisingly easy' because you were in right mind frame to do it or was it down to 'because it was easy'...as simple as that?
:

A bit of both actually, if I felt good in morning I just decided to do 24 (only done twice so far) but my hurdle was lunchtime, I assume because I've got into a bit of routine of 16:8 I look forward to my breakfast at 1:15pm but get past that with a green tea and water, some broth in afternoon and it was fine, I'm only in the shallow end after years of dipping my toe in, but this is the best I've felt in ages. I'm kind of full on or not at all, which is how I got into this predicament in the first place!

Good luck with it, just decide to do it when you feel ready and don't pressure yourself.

zicksi101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So the 24 hour fast was a bit of a fail - I got 14 hours in then blood sugar came down to 3.7mmol/l after waking up on 7.0, so I had to break the fast and eat some carbs.

In a sense though it's a win because it means my dose is coming down. My morning basal rate is now too much perhaps when I eat nothing, so I've learned something. I'll need to put the morning basal testing on hold for now and try again another day.

Meantime, I'll continue my plate spinning act. It takes time for insulin requirements to stabilise with these diet changes, so I'll just have to be patient.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
So the 24 hour fast was a bit of a fail - I got 14 hours in then blood sugar came down to 3.7mmol/l after waking up on 7.0, so I had to break the fast and eat some carbs.

In a sense though it's a win because it means my dose is coming down. My morning basal rate is now too much perhaps when I eat nothing, so I've learned something. I'll need to put the morning basal testing on hold for now and try again another day.

Meantime, I'll continue my plate spinning act. It takes time for insulin requirements to stabilise with these diet changes, so I'll just have to be patient.

Oh well....but at least it was good learning experience and you've got some valuable info out of it. Next time you are able to tackle it that little bit better. Nobody cannot tell what will happen if we don't have at least a go at it.
I found when I started to fast, I had to split the basal doze to have better control of my blood sugar levels. Took only half of the amount of already reduced insulin doze in the evening and if I carried on fasting in the morning...I often could go on without taking the 'other half' of the doze. Eventually able to have odd no insulin days! But that is down to my still somehow functioning pancreas..I'm still under type2 category.
I'm beginning to think that I might not be able to get off insulin totally...but I'm still living in hope and having a go with fasting, maybe it will help and bring some 'umf' to my body's functions....who knows...one can only try and it is still early days of my newly found dietary life..;)

Reactions: 6 people

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Ok..I've now fasted first full 24 hrs. I have had rather quiet day, not pushed myself to do a lot..just gentle little walks with dog. Feeling absolutely fine, not hungry, not feeling light headed, no head aches, feeling warm...so far so good :)..or maybe I should say good'ish:meh:
My blood sugars are acting up! Started this morning with 6 and it has been around that figure all day until now..it has jumped to 7.6:eek: Either my body has decided to dump lots energy into system....or it doesn't make full use of what is been released....or I'm in need of more insulin....or my insulin resistance is playing games...:rolleyes:...or maybe a combination of any of the options....or?
I haven't taken any medications for last over 24 hrs and was feeling bit smug being able to cope without..but I have now taken little bit of basal insulin and had metformin too with cup of broth that will be my 'meal' for the evening.
I shall see what happens next..this fasting 'game' is certainly not boring thing and does give my brain cell's good work out with all the thinking that I'm trying to do. Maybe it is all that thinking that makes my body think that I need huge amount of energy..like a good work out! :rolleyes:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok..I've now fasted first full 24 hrs. I have had rather quiet day, not pushed myself to do a lot..just gentle little walks with dog. Feeling absolutely fine, not hungry, not feeling light headed, no head aches, feeling warm...so far so good :)..or maybe I should say good'ish:meh:
My blood sugars are acting up! Started this morning with 6 and it has been around that figure all day until now..it has jumped to 7.6:eek: Either my body has decided to dump lots energy into system....or it doesn't make full use of what is been released....or I'm in need of more insulin....or my insulin resistance is playing games...:rolleyes:...or maybe a combination of any of the options....or?
I haven't taken any medications for last over 24 hrs and was feeling bit smug being able to cope without..but I have now taken little bit of basal insulin and had metformin too with cup of broth that will be my 'meal' for the evening.
I shall see what happens next..this fasting 'game' is certainly not boring thing and does give my brain cell's good work out with all the thinking that I'm trying to do. Maybe it is all that thinking that makes my body think that I need huge amount of energy..like a good work out! :rolleyes:
Sounds to me like your body is doing exactly what it's meant to do - liver dump every 5 hours or so or "self-feeding". As your glycogen stores deplete and your body gets more used to lower BG, I think you'll find that the dumps won't be nearly as high as they are now.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Sounds to me like your body is doing exactly what it's meant to do - liver dump every 5 hours or so or "self-feeding". As your glycogen stores deplete and your body gets more used to lower BG, I think you'll find that the dumps won't be nearly as high as they are now.
Thanks...needed that reassurance..:) I've been low carb'ing and been quite strick prior starting my fast so I kind of lulled myself into idea for not having such a reaction..or so much. Oh well, live and learn...:rolleyes:
I've just had last blood test for the day and it was down to 5.5..we'll se how the night time goes with that..:rolleyes: ..no extra meds for the night! I just had little bit of broth and now sipping some herbal tea...and then the bed calls.
Weirdly (?)..I kind of looking forward to waking up in the morning to see what kind of physical feeling it brings on and what my blood test will say.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I just realized...this is 'intermittent fasting thread'...:rolleyes:...and here is me rambling on about my longer fasting session..:rolleyes:
I got 2 different threads mixed up which other one is more for longer sessions in general.
But if nobody doesn't object....since I started rattling on, may I carry on and NEXT time I shall post under correct category..?;)

Without waiting any replies and objections I update and if somebody minds..I'll move on to other thread...I don't mind.

So...day 2 is well on its way:D And for my own surprise I woke up feeling absolutely fine...not particularly hungry...blood sugars fine..all this feels so different to last time! Been walking about, came back and I had slightly raised numbers again which I corrected with tiny doze of insulin and metformin again. Yesteday I only had one correction..hoping same for today.
Tummy is doing some talking...telling me that is getting very lonely down there...apparently it doesn't have nothing to do..:angelic:
This time I've been adding extra salt into my broth AND some stock cubes too. I'm not very keen of salty taste but one must do what is necessary and it seems like it is doing its job. I bought some Vogel's herbamare 'seasoning' which is almost like powdered 'stock'..seasalt with vegpowder. I came across it in Holland and Barrett website and remembered that it was something I used YEEEEARS ago when I first started fasting...didn't even know it was still made!
So, all in all things are going well at the moment, no great foody temptations, I even fried steak with mushrooms for DH and didn't salivate even a drop on it :D I keep looking at my cooked berries though..those with cream....oooooh.. I'm looking forward to cook and eat some more once I break the fast:rolleyes:.
Roll on day 3..

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Day 3 going on..
Last night I hit the 'wall'..though it wasn't bad at all. It was expected though appeared later that I though. Then again..I always do get hungry moment in the evening...seem that I have internal body clock that sounds hunger alarm during certain hours and there is nothing I can do to turn that off:rolleyes:. During my 'wall' I was little light headed, felt weak and cold..nothing drastic.
Blood sugars are dropping down now...FINALLY! I woke up with 3.6 and normally that would have meant hypo..but I was feeling fine! Just little light headed so I decided to 'ride it off' and test bloods every half hour to see what happens...didn't want to start correcting it if not necessary. And it worked, within first hour , numbers came up again into 4.5. I had one correction doze of meds yesterday...but as my bloods are that little bit lower today, I'm hoping that I'm off from them totally for now on.
I keep noticing some 'curious' things with my body. During last fasting session my skin wrinkled quite a lot. This time no issues as such.. yesterday I noticed small area on neck that had started to go 'prune'..I immediately drank some broth and made it extra salty. And hey presto...few hours later that skin area was back into normal again!..AND curiously I had small rash coming on too..AGAIN..on same area than during last fasting session..now that has gone too! I'm little surprised how much more salt I need to take to keep myself feeling well...real eye opener!
My body is really signalling to me when something needs correcting...it is just down to me to able to read those signs.
I've just progressed into 'feel good zone'..and long that may last too. This feeling makes last couple of days uncomfortable moments all worth it. You can almost feel energy flooding into brain ..it is like warm liquid spreading into muscles and brain. Little while ago I just sat down with eyes closed and enjoyed the moment....WHAT A DRUG! :happy:
So..that's my story so far. After slurping my variety of liquids down...even though tummy is feeling empty, I'm not hungry..only thing to cope with is the feeling of wanting to eat..holding back the feeling of liking taste of foods...not real hunger. But I feel like I can go out and able to do some gardening today! Must dash on while weather allows it..:D

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Well done Finsky
What an achievement huh, bet you feel great!! So glad it went well this time, I did another 24 hr on Saturday, mind was distracted as I've just started building an extension to the side of my house. I need to progress to longer next time but okay with regime at present, once again congrats!

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Well done Finsky
What an achievement huh, bet you feel great!! So glad it went well this time, I did another 24 hr on Saturday, mind was distracted as I've just started building an extension to the side of my house. I need to progress to longer next time but okay with regime at present, once again congrats!
Umm...yep...I'm quite glad it is going better this time, though the 'great feeling' is not constant...it comes and goes. But I carry on with my 'battle'..day by day...hour by hour, as long as I feel ok doing it.
Roll on day 4! (that's where it ended last time..:nailbiting:)

I'm not surprised that you were distracted...building extension and trying to fast same time! I have to say that I've not been able to do anything properly physical while fasting, I just don't feel strong enough and being honest..I worry that I might make too much of a demand for my body energy reserves by doing so. Blood sugars are running now in low 4's all the time..not much room for errors I'm afraid.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Day 4 on its way..!!:D Last time it was half way day 4 when I had to stop fasting. I'm feeling very hopeful that this time I can take it longer as so far it has been very different experience.
Yesterday was in general ok..those good feelings didn't stay on constantly and when they didn't, they were replaced slight weakness, but it wasn't bad. I'm usually night owl, but decided to have early retirement into bed and that has paid off...feeling absolutely normal this morning! No weakness, no ache, not much hunger..no nothing!
I'm planning to have slightly more energetic day today...involving housework and gardening, so I shall put my new energy levels into test.
Oh yes, nearly forgot to mention...blood sugar levels have been now been constantly between 4-4.5 and no medication needed!!:D ....those numbers, what a sight for the sore eyes shining through the meter...:cool:

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
YAYYYYYY! It is DAY 5!!! :D(had to check my previous post then that got my calculations right :rolleyes:)

Nothing much to report. I'm still feeling 'normal' and able to cope with some more physical kind of work. If my body is carrying on feeling like it is now...I would have no issue to carry on another couple of days and get full week under my belt.
Only 'issue' I have now that I really miss food..it is totally down to mind's dependency of the food and how nice it does taste :rolleyes: So it totally mind over the matter now.

Edit to add...only just noticed that this post didn't download yesterday...site switched into some 'maintenance break' just as I tried to post it..:rolleyes:...I thought it did come through...

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Well, now that I got yesterday's post sorted....YAYYY it is day 6!

Yesterday I ended up walking a lot ..for one reason and another...miles in fact. That actually raised my blood sugars into low 6 range!o_O And it was like that when I went to bed too. But...waking up this morning it had gone down to 4.5 again :happy:
Today I'm going to work...just few hours physical work as I now know I'm able to do it. I shall pack with me emergency supplys for 'just in case'...blood monitor...plenty of drinks and maybe a nappy too..:rolleyes::p
Boy I miss food...everything smells so tempting..I'm going to have hard time after fasting to hold my eagerness for eating down...I bet just spear of broccoli is going to taste amazing. I have to stop this now..I'm making myself hungry!
Roll on day 7..(though I'm already thinking that maybe I just do another extra day....it really is just 'maybe' and I shall see about that later on
Edit to add...just thought of something ...another chance in me that I have only realized. I've always been night owl, ALWAYS! While I've been fasting I've been struggling to keep up into usual late hours! In fact, come 10pm and I've had to drag myself into bed, absolutely knackered. I wonder if that is down to changing chemical reactions in my body..is that going to be re-set into new regime now?..hmm, interesting to see will happen after fasting..