Low Fat and Low Carb

992947x

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I have always been (well try to be) a low carb eater, especially as I have been a type 2 diabetic for the last 8 years. I have recently had an episode of acute pancreatitis for which I am still recovering. This is my second episode having my first about 3.5 years ago.

I have always believed in low carb diets for as long as I can remember, but don't always manage to stick to them. I know they work, and have read lots of books on the subject and have a good understanding of how they work.

However, I have been recommended on this forum that because I am getting over pancreatitis that I should be going on a low fat and no alcohol diet (I don't drink anyhow, but I have been pretty liberal with fats for quite a long time). Whilst on a low carb diet, the fat has kept me full, however if I am doing low carb (for general health and my diabetes) and low fat (to stop my pancreas becoming very angry with me) - it makes things very restrictive.

Is it possible to do low carb and low fat? I feel kind of nervous that I will be living on green veg and chicken breasts. Is anyone else in this situation, and if so, please can you give me an idea of diet? I have replaced my cakes and biscuits which rich creams, and fat on meat etc - is it safe to reduce both fat and carbs as low as possible? It seems a bit of a step too far to me.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Sorry...I can't be great help for you...but I have a question for you. Over the years doctors have always thrown scare of pancreatitis on the 'table' if I don't get my diabetes under control.
But I've noticed from reading info from many medications...their side effects is increased risk of pancreatitis...and yet doctors are happy to pile up pill after pill..increasing the risk by many folds..:eek::rolleyes:
So...when I read your post, my first thought was, are you on any medication that might increase your risk for pancreatitis?

If I would be in your situation...and I would be given same instructions regarding diet..well, I would be asking lots of questions too. For start with, doctors or NHS in whole don't have good track record (in my eyes that is!) regarding to dietary advise..:rolleyes:
I just had quick look around...and come up with these pages..http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...7/inflammation-triggers-disease-symptoms.aspx
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/08/21/enzymes-special-report.aspx
..some food for thoughts....;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is something only you can know if the fats are not upsetting you then they are probably ok. A lot here do low carb but moderate fat as high fat does not suit them. I personally don't eat a lot of saturated fat no red meat mostly chicken and fish but I do have good oils and eat avocados and some nuts

Reactions: 2 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I also try to keep my saturated fats like red meat and butter, bacon, lard etc very low. I do occasionally crave a grass fed beef burger or lamb but keep portions very low and but lean cuts. I also eat more mono fats like olive oil, avocado, mayo and a few nuts or pumpkin seeds. I do moderate, normal portions of fat. Just enough to satisfy.
I think you do need some fat but certainly not gobs. Fats are needed to absorb the nutrients in vegetables as well.
I am in the vlc, moderate protein and moderate fat camp and do quite well. Too much fat bogs me down

Reactions: 2 people

992947x

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry...I can't be great help for you...but I have a question for you. Over the years doctors have always thrown scare of pancreatitis on the 'table' if I don't get my diabetes under control.
But I've noticed from reading info from many medications...their side effects is increased risk of pancreatitis...and yet doctors are happy to pile up pill after pill..increasing the risk by many folds..:eek::rolleyes:
So...when I read your post, my first thought was, are you on any medication that might increase your risk for pancreatitis?

If I would be in your situation...and I would be given same instructions regarding diet..well, I would be asking lots of questions too. For start with, doctors or NHS in whole don't have good track record (in my eyes that is!) regarding to dietary advise..:rolleyes:
I just had quick look around...and come up with these pages..http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...7/inflammation-triggers-disease-symptoms.aspx
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/08/21/enzymes-special-report.aspx
..some food for thoughts....;)

Hi - Thanks for your reply. In answer to your question, my pancreatitis wasn't caused by medication (or gallstones, or medication). I stopped taking my meds a while back, and was controlling my diabetes through diet alone, but when my diet went bad, my blood glucose went above 20 every single reading for about two months, and then Pancreatitis kicked in,

Thanks also for the links. I will check these out.

992947x

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it is something only you can know if the fats are not upsetting you then they are probably ok. A lot here do low carb but moderate fat as high fat does not suit them. I personally don't eat a lot of saturated fat no red meat mostly chicken and fish but I do have good oils and eat avocados and some nuts

Thanks for the reply. I keep getting a lot of sharp shooting pains around my body (shoulders, neck, legs - not places where I am injecting insulin) - This wasn't happening before my second bout of pancreatitis, and I wonder if these are either caused by the insulin (less likely) or is my pancreas trying to tell me it is still not happy. I think I will try and reduce my fat intake - purely to see if it makes my pancreas more better, as I do believe normally fats are good for you.