Honeymoon Period?

Mal1978

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys probably on wrong page here but here goes, have any of you guys went through the 'honeymoon' period yet?

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, most people have a honeymoon period when first diagnosed lasting various amounts of time

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My honeymoon period is lasting a LOOONGGGG time and hasn't stopped yet. That has frustrations of its own kind, but it's ultimately a good thing.

I first showed signs of diabetes back in January 2015 when a random fasting glucose reading was 10 mmol/l. Fast forward to today and I'm insulin dependent, but my pancreas still produces more insulin than many people who were diagnosed much younger in life (I'm 27).

By my doctors' diagnosis I am type 1. However, some might consider me type 1.5 given that my honeymoon period is lasting this long. My situation is very unique so it's tough to tell how much natural insulin I still produce.

Happy to help if I can answer any questions.

Reactions: 2 people

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My honeymoon is still going strong, 6 units of basal and still seems too strong.

I am still only in the few months since diagnosis but its showing no signs of slowing just yet.

Reactions: 2 people

Specsquee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My honeymoon period is lasting a LOOONGGGG time and hasn't stopped yet. That has frustrations of its own kind, but it's ultimately a good thing.

I first showed signs of diabetes back in January 2015 when a random fasting glucose reading was 10 mmol/l. Fast forward to today and I'm insulin dependent, but my pancreas still produces more insulin than many people who were diagnosed much younger in life (I'm 27).

By my doctors' diagnosis I am type 1. However, some might consider me type 1.5 given that my honeymoon period is lasting this long. My situation is very unique so it's tough to tell how much natural insulin I still produce.

Happy to help if I can answer any questions.
Hey @TorqPenderloin out of curiosity what are you basic honeymoon levels? Iv been at 85-100 most days and thats with 10 units of Toujeo a day and no fast acting.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My a1c a week ago was 5.4% which is around a 109 mg/dL average (it sounds like you're on the US like I am).

I'm on Levemir and Novolog. Without the novolog (fast acting) my blood sugar would probably shoot up into the low 200s in the morning even without food.

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
Hi guys probably on wrong page here but here goes, have any of you guys went through the 'honeymoon' period yet?

still in it 9 months on from diagnosis,that been said doesn't mean every1 goes through 1 from what I've heard :)

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
still in it 9 months on from diagnosis,that been said doesn't mean every1 goes through 1 from what I've heard :)
Well, technically everyone does, but it may be very quick or it may be extremely slow.

The honeymoon period is just a non-medical term for the time from when you first develop an autoimmune attack on your pancreas' beta cells until that autoimmune attack kills off all or most of those cells. In some (especially children) it may last only a few days. In others (particularly older adults) it could last years.

The term was created to explain how much easier it is to manage your levels when you still produce some endogenous/natural insulin. It is much like a couple newlyweds on their honeymoon.... There usually aren't many big struggles at that point in the marriage.

Side note: when I was first diagnosed, my insulin:carb ratio could be as high as 1:50g. If 1unit is too much for you, I'd suggest the Novolog/Novorapid Echo Pen which allows for .5 dose increments.