Food to be sold with a warning label you shouldn't eat it?

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@EdMac
For a T2 like me, it is not the sugars total that I worry about but the carbs figure, as it soon gets turned to glucose!

EdMac

@CollieBoy I know but it's not complex carbs they add to food to alter the taste, it's simple sugars. And I believe if you have manipulated the flavour of something principally using sugars then you have created confectionery.

Someone highlighted the ketchup that has a higher sugar content than chocolate sauce. This is complete nonsense, but it's also dangerous for buyers to be constantly mislead.

You wont detect sweetness in many foods because it is offset by other flavours, but physiologically the impact - addiction and utimately damage - is the same. I'm not a fan of nannying people's decisions but I am a fan of transparency so those decisions can be made with clarity.

Reactions: 2 people

LucyM88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't think food should be labelled as such, it's a personal choice. People need to take responsibility for what they do.

EdMac

People need to take responsibility for what they do.
I agree and I also think it needs to be easy for people to do that, but the problem is when even the people who want to take responsibility for their choices are getting caught out it's clear there isn't enough transparency.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid I can resist no longer :D:wideyed:: just why are they knowingly producing food they consider as needing to be labelled as bad for us? The mind boggles...

Robbity

LucyM88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No food is bad for you, same as there is no food that is junk, it's the amount you eat of it. I stick by what I said, people need to take responsibility. I don't want labels and warnings over my food, I eat everything in moderation. I'm not having my choice taken away. I take advice from the people I need to and then make the choice for myself.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
No food is bad for you, same as there is no food that is junk, it's the amount you eat of it. I stick by what I said, people need to take responsibility. I don't want labels and warnings over my food, I eat everything in moderation. I'm not having my choice taken away. I take advice from the people I need to and then make the choice for myself.
Some food is junk.

LucyM88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All is good in moderation. Nothing is really bad or junk. It's the amount you eat of it and how you eat. Id much rather choose myself what to eat than have the government or a bunch of people who are trying to 'mother the nation' telling me what I can or can't or making me feel guilty about it.

coxymk2

It's all down to personal choice if you eat any food in too great a quantity it will give you some sort of problem. As an example I love spinach but am only allowed a small amount as it can cause me to gout flare ups.

LucyM88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's all down to personal choice if you eat any food in too great a quantity it will give you some sort of problem. As an example I love spinach but am only allowed a small amount as it can cause me to gout flare ups.

Exactly! Good point.

LucyM88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As you can tell, I don't like the whole warning labels on food thing lol!!!

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
If you choose to eat junk food and you don't have an immediate negative reaction, it doesn't make it not junk food. But obviously you can eat whatever you want.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anything that is manufactured and has a list of chemical sounding ingredients as long as your arm is junk. At best it's edible food substitute, but it's not food, it's junk.

EdMac

I don't want labels and warnings over my food, I eat everything in moderation.
Well now I see where you're coming from, the key here is not to eat the labels - even in moderation they're never going to taste great and they wont add nutritional value. :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well now I see where you're coming from, the key here is not to eat the labels - even in moderation they're never going to taste great and they wont add nutritional value. :)
fibre maybe? ;)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You don't need fibre.
Not everyone does, I agree, but my bowel needs fibre. I'll spare you the details but the results of a meat only diet for 2 weeks was a disaster for me. It took me months to recover from it.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Not everyone does, I agree, but my bowel needs fibre. I'll spare you the details but the results of a meat only diet for 2 weeks was a disaster for me. It took me months to recover from it.
I had the opposite experience. It can be a problem if you go straight to a zero fibre diet. It's better to taper off.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the opposite experience. It can be a problem if you go straight to a zero fibre diet. It's better to taper off.
Well I'm not likely to try it again as I'm not really that keen on meat. I did lose a lot of weight, but never again. The pain was worse than childbirth or a broken sternum and rib. :eek: