Low carb/no sugar sweets

ionajc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My son is type 1 and obviously he likes sweets etc like most children. Although I'd like to steer away from sugary sweets and maybe just have them as treats at parties etc. Does anybody know where you can get a range of low carb/low or no sugar sweets from. I've just ordered some from amazon but I can never seem to find any in supermarkets.

MasterDoctor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My son is type 1 and obviously he likes sweets etc like most children. Although I'd like to steer away from sugary sweets and maybe just have them as treats at parties etc. Does anybody know where you can get a range of low carb/low or no sugar sweets from. I've just ordered some from amazon but I can never seem to find any in supermarkets.
You can sometimes find the odd packet of sweets or something in bigger supermarkets such as Tesco but there's not a proper range, as far as I know you really have to look online.

Reactions: 2 people

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Holland and Barrett have a reasonably decent range including chocolate with stevia

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

There are sugar free polos that are very readily available if he likes mint. There's also a range of sugar free sweets in little boxes branded Ricola.

There don't tend to be so many sugar free sweets aimed at children because they contain artificial sweeteners which can have a laxative effect (some kinds) or just be something many parents wish to avoid.

I have normal Haribos for hypos sometimes if I fancy a 'treat', and I also enjoy normal sugary sweets on walks and hikes :) They keep my blood sugar up and it's a nice opportunity to have something I don't eat on a regular basis.

Reactions: 4 people

dukidoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
Aldi do sugar free sweets,mint ,mixed fruit,strawberry and cream, rhubarb and custard ,coffee -2 packs for 99 p .

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
M&S do a range of sugar free sweets - hard boiled types, Holland and barret do a few, Weathers do a sugar free version, if you have one near you the old fashioned sweet shops often do sugar free sweets which includes "haribo" style ones.

Unfortunately all of the ones I know of contain sugar alcohols, which can interfere with BG control in she individuals (so would have to test) and can (do!) have a laxative effect.

Does he like chocolate? There are some great high coco solid chocolates available, Tesco swiss 85% is a good one to start with, Hotel Chocolat do a few low sugar chocolates - really nice!!

ionajc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are sugar free polos that are very readily available if he likes mint. There's also a range of sugar free sweets in little boxes branded Ricola.

There don't tend to be so many sugar free sweets aimed at children because they contain artificial sweeteners which can have a laxative effect (some kinds) or just be something many parents wish to avoid.

I have normal Haribos for hypos sometimes if I fancy a 'treat', and I also enjoy normal sugary sweets on walks and hikes :) They keep my blood sugar up and it's a nice opportunity to have something I don't eat on a regular basis.
That's a good idea for when being active, that may get my son out walking more ;)

ionajc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aldi do sugar free sweets,mint ,mixed fruit,strawberry and cream, rhubarb and custard ,coffee -2 packs for 99 p .
Really? I've looked in aldi but have never seen sugar free ones. I'll have to look again and double check my one

ionajc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for your replies. I have been on amazon today I got some chewy werther orginals, he used to like the normal ones. I managed to find sugar free and low carb ones :) and getting some pure stevia for cereals etc

dukidoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
83fc0655486b5f8033579b60e53089ed.jpg

dukidoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
They are sometimes near the tills , on with the sweets .My grandson loves mine !

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
I also buy these all the time and they do not rise my BG readings. I have bought recently Werthers sugar free in large bags. :)

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Really? I've looked in aldi but have never seen sugar free ones. I'll have to look again and double check my one
Hi Yes they do sell them I buy mine from there, they also do Sugar free mints [ peppermint and spearmint ] in little tins near the check out tills.

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
Sainsbury do their own make of sugar free marshmallows.

Doda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I suggest you steer clear of " sugar free', if it means that they are using aspartame or Sucralose.... as they are not good sweeteners! Stevia or Xylitol are much healthier... Just check which sweetener they are using! Good luck...

ionajc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suggest you steer clear of " sugar free', if it means that they are using aspartame or Sucralose.... as they are not good sweeteners! Stevia or Xylitol are much healthier... Just check which sweetener they are using! Good luck...
I know, I don't like the idea of them myself, I was always going for the sugar option before he was diagnosed because I preferred him to have that in moderation than the artificial sweeteners but to be honest with you, most things I'm looking at sugar free are either aspartame or sucrolose. I've just recently bought some pure stevia sweetener sachets off amazon, but as I said, sweets & drinks are not so easy to come by.

Jon Lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I buy Sula boiled sweets from my chemist. Similar to the Ricola but 85p a pack as opposed to £1.20 ish for the Ricola. Both are much cheaper in the chemist than in Holland & Barrett. I have also found sugar free Werthers in the supermarket. If you can find a 'proper' sweet shop they often have a range of sugar free sweets. My local hospital also has some. I would avoid the toffees as they are very sticky and not that good. We also stock up when we go on holiday to Spain as they seem to have a very good range of sugar free sweets, biscuits and cakes. But also take heed of the warning. http://www.hellou.co.uk/2016/05/rev...he-funniest-thing-youll-read-this-week-90660/