Type 2 Body working hard overnight to undo my good work!

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Great day yesterday and kept to all my targets. After dinner readings were excellent for me, 2 hour 6.2, 3 hour 5.6.....marvellous!
Go to bed, good nights sleep, fasting reading at 0910 8.6!
So while I'm sleeping, my body manufactures a rise of 3.0.
Fortunately, it's not consistent but it does reinforce my belief that, for me, fasting readings are pretty useless.
Your mileage may vary!

Reactions: 4 people

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks @urbanracer. I was aware of this and I've said before that I can't understand why the NHS puts such faith in fasting tests. In my case I almost always eat nothing after about 7 pm when I finish dinner. It's pretty variable though and I have different experiences on different days. Today's was a relatively extreme example. I've no idea why it should vary so much. I'll admit that I'll probably just ignore it unless it gets worse.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, in general fasting tests have always been a waste of time but it kept the NHS happy until they saw the light and now annual review blood tests aren't fasting any more. The overnight liver dump, of course, is one reason for the variability.

Reactions: 2 people

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Just to show there's no consistency at all, my 2 hour last night was a less than perfect 8.2, and my 3 hour a good 6.0, so what would my fasting be this morning? Answer at 0935......6.9, one of less than a handful of fasting readings I've had under 7.0!
This is going to be my last regular fasting reading for a while. It's just a waste of strips (which I pay for myself). I'll probably do one a week from now on.