Injecting when eating out?

emmabai1ey11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Guys,
How do you manage to inject when you're eating out? do you do it in private or are you happy to do it in front of people?

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just inject at the table :) When I was using a pen (on pump now) I always did that. I just warned anyway sitting right beside me in case they wondered what I was doing or jogged me. I also injected at my desk at work.

If you search, you'll find a number of threads about injecting in public. It can make you anxious when you're first doing it, but you soon get used to it and can do it very quickly and very discreetly :)

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Erm, I wouldn't say it's in front of people, cos if I'm sat at a table no is going to notice me injecting into my thigh or belly really (unless they are taking unusually close notice of my lap area, in which case I'd have other things to worry about!) apart from maybe the people you are having dinner with & usually they are people that either know exactly what you are doing or you can do a little polite warning to. So yeah, I just do it at the table, but it definitely doesn't feel like any kind of "in public" performance. :)

BlaiseS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My friend and I went out to dinner about a week after I was diagnosed, to Nandos (which are brilliant by the way because all of their carbs are available online). We were sat at a table where people were literally a ft away from me on both sides but I powered through, knowing that if I didn't do it then, I'd find it harder next time.
I injected 26 units that night... so it took a while... but no one noticed at all. Even my friend, who was sat opposite me, couldn't tell.

Think about all the times you've been out to eat before, have you ever noticed someone injecting insulin? It's just not something you look for unless you're diabetic yourself.

I think injecting in the belly is much easier when out and about although I have heard of people injecting through tights if they want to wear a dress, so that'll be one to try in the future!

So don't worry about it and just remember that everyone elses body is doing the exact same as what you're doing to your own.

Reactions: 7 people
S

Shar67

I inject at table, one time when I did test shot, insulin went straight into friend's drink, thankfully she found it hilarious. Makes a good story.

Reactions: 3 people

B583

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
MARMITE!!
It depends on how confident & comfortable you are injecting in front of people. I do it all the time at the table where I'm sat, whether someone is beside me, opposite me or staring at me from another table!! I/We have to inject, as my/our medication, if they have a problem, they can look away or ask questions!! I've never had a problem with it in the 20 years I've been injecting & having injected among a busy high street, no one has had a problem with it!!
Word of advice: wear light/loose clothing to inject through or something to lift up easily (if injecting in stomach area/arm).
Hope it goes well for you in future times!!
Brad

Wijkkie1305

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I always inject at the table (novorapid). When people say something about it, always say: this is me and i am not gonna hide myself because of diabetes. It is a part of me. And most of the time they understand. If you feel comfy with it, you can just do it

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Guys,
How do you manage to inject when you're eating out? do you do it in private or are you happy to do it in front of people?

I injected at the table with whoever was there, wouldn't say I was entirely happy doing it in front of people but needs must and I wouldn't want use a toilet (admittedly I did when first diagnosed and less confident).

What you will find is most people won't even notice that you've injected anyway, once you've done it a few times you will be less conscious about it.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually have no qualms about injecting at the table in a restaurant. But a recent visit to an O'Neills pub, injecting at the table would have been a step too far for me to take.

We were sitting at the only free table in the pub which was directly below the video screen. A live football match was being screened and all the footy enthusiasts were looking in our direction. So I left the table and stopped on the stairway to the toilet and injected there.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When i was using a pen (on the pump now) i would inject at the table if I could. I would typically try to do it in a way as to not call any attention to what I am doing. Usually i would try to do it WHILE i was speaking on something else entirely so that by the time i finish testing and injecting I am still talking/discussing that other thing lol This leaves no room for the topic to change to my injecting haha

If I am wearing a dress shirt of other shirt that is tucked in I will excuse myself to the washroom so that I can inject and re-tuck my shirt properly rather then trying to do it while seated at a table.

With my pump, i test at the table - without drawing attention or making a fuss so that IF anyone notices whats happening its so fast they dont have time to really think about it lol

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I try and do it discretely but have no problems at the table. :)